Forum Testing Signup - Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 & 815 DBD Drivers

1. What driver are you currently playing?
I am currently playing the TaylorMade R1.

2. What loft do you play it at?
10 degrees.

3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play?
I have the Stiff Matrix Black Tie 7m3 Shaft cut down a half inch.

4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player?
I wouldn't say high but I wouldn't say low either. I'd fit myself into the in between area here.

5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver?
The more forgiving the better. I don't always hit the center of the face so anything that can help make my mishits more forgiving is a good thing.

6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts?
I have not tested these drivers. Some would call me a TaylorMade guy but I am interested in checking out what Callaway is putting out on the market and comparing it to my current driver performance and forgiveness wise.

This would be the perfect reason to head south and play some golf!

1. What driver are you currently playing? Big Bertha Alpha
2. What loft do you play it at? 9° but need 10.5°
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Fubuki in X
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? Mid to Low spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? High and toe since those are my misses
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not tested them as of yet

Thanks Callaway and THP!

callaway ft optiforce 460
loft is currently at 10.5
project x stiff flex
i am a low spit player
i would look for a high face miss-hit forgiveness for me
i have. It tested these drivers

It snowed yesterday, so can't justify putting my name in. Hope to find out more about the forgiveness on these, particularly laterally.

Fingers crossed...

1. What driver are you currently playing? 2014 Callaway Big Bertha
2. What loft do you play it at? 10.5 Degree
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Aldila Tour Blue- Stiff 43.5 inches
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High spin (But not on purpose)
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? As much as I can get, were mishits aren't as penal as say The Razar Hawk was when I gamed it (normal miss is low near the heal of the club)
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I haven't hit these models, yet but they look intersting.

I'd like to take a moment to thank Callaway Golf for making this happen, I really like the fact that they want feedback on their offing from Hackers like us. The season in Nashville is almost year around, I'm still playing or doing range/short game area work 3 times a week. Would love to have a chance to test and compare and contrast v. my current Big Bertha & The X-Hot Driver in my back up bag.

Dax

1. What driver are you currently playing? Wilson FG Tour
2. What loft do you play it at? 10.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Aldila RIP Phenom 50 Regular Flex
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Looking for a driver that will keep the ball in play even on mishits, with a smaller dispersion
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not hit or seen these drivers in person yet.

Thank you Callaway and THP

1. What driver are you currently playing? Callaway Razr X Black
2. What loft do you play it at? 9.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Stiff shaft and the stock Fujikura Motore F8
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? I am a high spin player
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Looking for forgiveness with miss hits high on the club and towards the toe.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? Yes I was able to swing a regular flex at the local golf store. I love the looks and sound of the driver. The ball felt good coming off it also. Would have liked to tested a stiff shaft but I a plan on getting fit for this driver and upgrading from my Razr X Black as a Christmas present.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Callaway Optiforce 440
2. What loft do you play it at? 10.5 degrees
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Aldila Tour Green (stiff) or White Tie 6x3 (stiff)
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High spin (hence the low spin shafts)
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Heel to toe (main miss is on the toe)
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not had a chance to hit these drivers, yet

Thanks Callaway and THP for providing this opportunity!

Oh wow!

1. What driver are you currently playing? Callaway X hot
2. What loft do you play it at? 11.5*
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Miyazaki Kusala White 61s
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? I would say I am more of low speed/low spin player
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? as much as possible!
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? haven't been able to hit either, but would love to try the 815, but the DBD is WAY above my level

Will this driver be the one to unseat my Jetspeed?
We shall see I hope =)

1. What driver are you currently playing? TM Jetspeed
2. What loft do you play it at? 8 degree
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? TM stock shaft (Matrix Velox) stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? Low
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Like some
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? Not tested

1. What driver are you currently playing? Callaway X2 Hot
2. What loft do you play it at? 9.5*
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Aldila Tour Blue Stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? Low Spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Maximum forgiveness
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not tested any of the drivers due to lack of testing facilities in my area.

Thank you

Callaway X2 Hot

11 degree

Stiff Fubuki Zeta

Low

Some. Typically some type of game improvement

I have not had the opportunity to test either of these yet. But would be looking at one as an upgrade.

Last edited:
Great opportunity by THP and Callaway!

Cobra BiO Cell

9*

Matrix 6Q3 Red Tie Stiff

Medium I think. Last time on a launch monitor I was around 5k

Off-center hits, mostly toe forgiveness

No, but have been intrigued by these since I heard about them in Golf Digest.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Razor fit extreme
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Stock regular flex
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? high
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Toe mostly
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? No

Thanks for the opportunity.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Titleist 910D2
2. What loft do you play it at? 12*
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Matrix Red Tie, Stiff Flex
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? I think high spin (ie. I produce too much spin)
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Anything that will cut down on the side to side movement I end up off the tee. I don't miss so much up/down on the face, but much more side/side. I need as much forgiveness as I can get.... or at least I think I do.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not. Swung last year's Bertha and loved it, but it wasn't in the budget for me unfortunately.

Wow, what a great opportunity. I'd love to take part, and will be definitely following along either way.

I have played a Callaway RazrHawk for almost 4 years. But I recently started trying out a preowned Callaway Big Bertha.

The RazrHawk is 9.5; the Big Bertha is 9, adjusted down to 8 to try to get my launch down a bit.

The RazrHawk has the stock Aldila RIP that it came with in stiff flex. The Big Bertha has a stiff flex Aldila Tour Green to try to get both launch and spin down.

4. Do you think that you are a high spin or low spin player?

High and it needs to come down. With the RazrHawk, my spin numbers average about 4000. The BB/Tour Green combo brought that down to about 3500. I would love to find a driver that would allow me to maintain my carry numbers, but get launch/spin a little closer to optimal numbers.

With the RazrHawk, by far my most consistent miss is thin - low on the center of the face, though I do have horizontal misses from time to time. With the BB, it's too soon to say. So far, I have had a lot of heel misses, but that could well just be me adjusting to the club.

I have not, but I would LOVE to.

Amazing Chance to test a great looking Driver

1. What driver are you currently playing? - SLDR 460
2. What loft do you play it at? -10.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? X Flex Aldila Tour Green 65 gram
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? - High Spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? - High/Low forgiveness but most of the time my miss is slightly high
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? - I have not it is on my list to try i liked the head on both BB last year but not the shaft

While the season is wrapping up, there is a heated range that would work pretty well for this testing if I'm selected.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Bridgestone J40 445cc
2. What loft do you play it at? 9.5* but I think 10.5* might be a better fit.
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Project X 6.0
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? I believe I am generally a little on the high side when it comes to spin.
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? My main misses are toe side and high on the face, so I'd like a club that can help keep those misses in play without losing a ton of distance.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not tried out these drivers.

Thanks to THP and Callaway for a fantastic testing opportunity.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Taylormade SLDR 460
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Fujikura Speeder 57 in X-Flex
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? I'm a Low spin player
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Heel and Toe mishit forgiveness
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have never hit/own a Callaway driver before.

Another great opportunity from THP and Callaway! Thank you as always!

Last edited:
Would love to be part of the testing.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Playing the SLDR.

2. What loft do you play it at? 10.5º

3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Matrix Black Tie 7m3 X flex

4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? I think I am mid-high spin. I have had success bringing spin down with the SLDR

5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? I play my current driver because of the distance, but it is not the most forgiving. I am very intrigued by the 815's claim of that low spin but with more forgiveness than what I am playing now.

6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I haven't. I did try the original Alpha in a store but didn't care for it. I thought the exact same about the SLDR until I got it outside on the range. This is definitely on my list to try this year as it sounds very promising.

1. What driver are you currently playing? RBZ stage 2
2. What loft do you play it at? 9.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Stock! stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High spin, to my detriment sometimes
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver?midlevel
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not. Tried last years alpha though and didn't really get along with it.

Wow - This could be fun, as I can play all winter!!

1. What driver are you currently playing? Wilson Staff D200 -
2. What loft do you play it at? 9*
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Stiff (Project X 6.0)
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? I think I am a high spin player.
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? I look for a driver with a lot of forgiveness.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not tested these drivers.

Thanks for the opportunity!!

1. What driver are you currently playing? BB Alpha 10.5 deg
2. What loft do you play it at? 9.5 deg
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Stock Fubuki ZT S. I'm not a high SS player by any means (low to mid 90s) I seem to do best with firmer R or softer S shafts. I'm a tweener.
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? I seem to get more help from clubs with forgiveness low and high on the face than left to right, which I think is what drew me to the Alpha originally.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I've tried an 815 with stock R flex Speeder a couple of times and have found it to be shorter and not as straight as the original Alpha.

What an incredible opportunity!

1. What driver are you currently playing? The TaylorMade SLDR.
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? The Diamana Kal'i, regular flex
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? Low spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Lateral; I primarily look to see how off line laterally my mis hits are.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not yet had the pleasure of hitting them yet.

1. What driver are you currently playing? TaylorMade R1
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Aldila RIP Phenom 55 -R Flex
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High Spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Higher forgiveness! My misses are high on the face towards the toe.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? No I have not tested them.

Back