2014 what'd you learn

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
What did you learn about your game this season?

what will you take into 2015 with you?

I learned that I can play some really really good golf and some really bad golf. The difference is huge but comes down to fundamentals and committing to each shot. Doing the fundamentals and committing to each shot wether it be the first tee or the chip on 18 is what I will work on going into 2015.

My practice in 2015 will be just as much mental as it is physically hitting the ball.

Chipping is important and having a putter you believe in is a game changer. A little forgiveness in the irons is needed and I see no reason why I can't shoot an even par round and stay in the 70's consistently.

I learned I need to play more. I got in less than half the rounds I was planning on getting this year, and the game showed it.

I learned my level of play after 2 years of sporadic rounds is just slightly worse than when I was playing 5 times a week. I also learned if I want to take my game to another level that things seriously need to change. My putting was more consistent than it has ever been, and my GiR #'s was vastly improved.

For 2015: My mental game needs work, I need more practice time, and I need regular rounds/matches again. I need to take out a membership again, and I need to continue to have fun on the course.

I learned that despite the most lessons and practice ever i got 3 strokes worse.
I learned that it's easy to revert to old habits.
And yet golf is still fun.
Hoping to get those 3 strokes back in 2015 and take me somewhat improving short game along with me

I learned that despite the most lessons and practice ever ingot 3 strokes worse.
I learned that it's easy to revert to old habits.
And yet golf is still fun.
Hoping to get those 3 strokes back in 2015 and take me somewhat improving short game along with me

This sad story sounds awful familiar.

Lessons are important. While one can "learn to play decent golf with what you got," playing single-digit over par requires solid mechanics. Those don't come from wishing you had them. They come from lessons and work.

Once you're on the course though, just put full focus on every shot and see what happens.

Well I thought I made a breakthrough earlier this year and in some ways it was. I was making better contact, eliminating some of my blow up holes, picking shots, shaping shots, and some rudimentary greenside skills. My scores and handicap dropped for a few months then somewhere along the way I stopped playing as frequently, laid out of practice sessions, tried fighting through an injury, etc and seemingly lost my swing somewhat along the way. The last few months have been up and down with a couple of really tough outings in a row. Last weekend at the FL/GA get together was a bit of a low point for me this year as I shot 112 using Teed1Ups Tee shots the majority of the time so it would have likely been higher. Driver and greenside game have absolutely been killing me. Well not one to give up to easily I started dissecting my swing issues and made a plan to make a run at a 20 handicap by the end of the year. I must have spent 10+ hours this week working on chipping, pitching, punch shots with different clubs about 75 percent of the time and the rest of the clubs the other 25 percent. Well something started clicking at the end of the first range session and I felt like it was coming around. Put some tips that Freddie recommended on punch shots into use with decent results and some other tips I picked up with other parts of the game and really came on during the second session. Third session and I picked up right where I left on during the second session. Played Saturday and started off with a 55 front with a 8,9 and several doubles in there but I was striking the ball decent. Then moved to the back nine and man my drives where really good leaving me plenty of opportunities to get on or near the green. I hit some nice low, spinning wedges that were a little off on distance(long) but were pretty good anyway. I got up and down on maybe 80 percent of the holes on the back nine which is way above what Ive been doing lately. Drove 2 par 4s on the back 9, one at 279 and one at 294. Par on the first birdie on the second. Birdied the next hole which was a par 3. Bogeyed the 18th after a tee shot in the water. I put up a 45 on the back which is my best 9 for this year and I honestly know I left 5 shots out there with some suspect chipping on 1 hole and some pace issues with the putter but I feel like I played good golf. Sunday was going to be an off day but I wanted to see if what I picked up would stick and I put up 47 and 48 with 3 birdies. I was pushing my approaches a little today but my greenside game was still there which has been my biggest issue all year. So at this point of the season I was considering turning it down a notch but after the last couple of days I want to build on some of what Ive figured out. Im setting 89 in my sights before December 31st. I plan to practice 3-4 times a week at least an hour a piece. I hope everything carries over into next year and I continue to get better. Looking forward to playing with some THPers again.

I learned that I need more rounds, to take my time, don't think just do. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some lessons this winter, along with a lot of sim time.

I learned that a single digit handicap is in my future for 2015.

Also I reinforced that golf is that much better with THPers

That I can play golf a little bit.

Also, that it's just golf, it's not life and death.

Learned a lot this year...
I do have it in me to be in the 70s, and in general, it doesn't matter what irons I play for that purpose, though some may make it easier than others. The improvement I've made on the tee box needs to replicated on/around the green to have me in the 70s consistently. I learned that I can enjoy golf just as much on local municipal courses as playing higher end tracks. Something I already knew, but was reaffirmed - golf helps me deal with life - for that time I'm on the course/range, I can get away from things, or have a clearer head to really think about some of those same things.

I learned that golf with a purpose is a hell of a lot of fun.
I learned that fitted equipment makes even more difference than I previous thought.
I learned that I can putt decently with a half-offset shaft...and that my stroke has more arc to it than I thought.
I learned what a good lesson was, and that it is worth every penny.
I learned that I can hit a driver, if I will just slow the swing down a touch.
I re-learned (as I do every year) what an amazing thing it is to have these forum members as supporters and friends.

I learned a ton in my first year really gunning to improve at golf.

I learned that I can learn to swing well, and I can learn to play decent. And those aren't necessarily the same thing.
I learned that a smart address position can set you up for success.
Everything comes down to face angle relative to swing path.

I know I have some great golf in me. But the game stills comes down to 50 yards away from the pin, and the space between your ears.

I learned that as soon as I think I have golf figured out, it kicks my ass. I learned that my tee game, when good, is more luck than anything else and needs a permanent fix.

I learned that GI irons are good. I also learned that playing less than 30 rounds a year and practicing maybe once a week is no way to get to single digits - I either need to dive in a little deeper or temper my expectations.

I learned everything, as 2014 is the year I started playing golf. Pretty happy with the progress I made and the nice moments on the course. Most important things I learned:
· Golf is the most addictive thing on the planet (well, for me at least)
· Golf is a lot harder than it looks
· There’s no place like THP

For 2015 I just want to continue having the fun I had on the courses I had this year. I’d like to continue lowering my handicap, but if I can’t, well, too bad. Having fun anyway.

In 2014 I learned that anything is possible with golf if you put in the time and practice. One thing that also stuck out was I remembered that golf was fun again thanks to THP.

2015 hopefully holds much of the same and looking forward to improving my game even more and become more consistent.

Ball striking was very good this year but I learned that I need to improve my short game in order to get to the next level......chipping, putting, sand

I learned that I should embrace forgiveness, accept a thicker topline (it is all about the bass after all, right???) and tolerate offset. Straight, high and somewhere on the green beats pin high missed left/right all day. I haven't taken the plunge just yet, but realize I am playing on a very slippery slope and will be immersed soon enough.

A lot of my old "feels" are starting to return and I believe if I drop my weight this winter and maintain those same "feels" I'll be back down in single digits once again.

And of course, I found this awesome place and know that any golf outing with THPers is just that much better.

Looking forward to more in 2015.

I learned that my body is not as resilient at almost 50 as it once was. I also learned that I need move more towards more forgiving and easier on the body equipment (i.e., more flexible shafts and graphite iron shafts).

I learned that not just anyone or everyone can get a whole lot better at golf just because they put the time and effort into it. I learned that being consistent is in itself imo an ability that not anyone has or can obtain. This sounds very negative but to be honest its about acceptance and that then leads to more fun. And it may be hard to understand but that acceptance doesn't at all mean I give up trying to get better.

I learned how to make a more repeatable iron swing that produces good results. Finally.

I also learned about being satisfied on the course. It is really nice to be happier about how I played than dwelling on the bad shots.

I need to dedicate more time to improve my game where I want it to be. Swing more on balance and in tempo.

Back