Club Selection Advice

liquidcowboy

Reaction score
Handicap
Whisky
I am about to pull the trigger and get a whole new set of clubs. My issue is, I am not sure what I want/need between my 3w and my irons. I am going with an iron set of 6-9 and hybrids to replace my long irons. Do I really need a 3,4,5 hybrid? Or are two hybrids enough?

Are you replacing a old set or is this your first complete set? Do you know what brand you want? Have you been measured to see what fit you are in need of?

If you've got room for all of them in your bag, why not? If you'd like to carry an extra wedge or something I'd go 3/5 and choke down to close the gap if you need to.

It'll all come back to if they hit the gaps/numbers you want and need, if they do, then rock em and do it proudly.

Are you replacing a old set or is this your first complete set? Do you know what brand you want? Have you been measured to see what fit you are in need of?

Yes, I am replacing an off the shelf set of TM Burner Plus irons for new clubs that I will be getting fit for. I have already been fit for the irons, which will be the Mizuno JPX 850s. As far as hybrids go, I am still testing but the Cleveland 588s seem to be the best fit for me so far.

If you've got room for all of them in your bag, why not? If you'd like to carry an extra wedge or something I'd go 3/5 and choke down to close the gap if you need to.

This is what I was kind of thinking as well. Or possibly a 2/4 and choke down like you suggested.

Yes, I am replacing an off the shelf set of TM Burner Plus irons for new clubs that I will be getting fit for. I have already been fit for the irons, which will be the Mizuno JPX 850s. As far as hybrids go, I am still testing but the Cleveland 588s seem to be the best fit for me so far.

Really fun hybrids IMO.

Then by all means do as Hawk suggested and put them all to use. Sounds like you are getting ready to move your game up a few steps, Good Luck!

Really fun hybrids IMO.

Yea, I have always had a hard time hitting hybrids, but these are like butter everytime I hit them. I just have a couple more I want to test out before I commit to buying the Clevelands. Just want to make sure they are the best fit before I invest the money on all these new clubs.

Then by all means do as Hawk suggested and put them all to use. Sounds like you are getting ready to move your game up a few steps, Good Luck!

Thank you!

I would look at 4 and 5 hybrids and toss in a 7 wood.

Its all about distance gaps and where/how you want to fill out your bag. I am going to be upgrading my bag and based on lofts and what i expect my distances to be I am going with more wedges and taking a hybrid out of my bag as well as switching from 3w to 4w, all possible to change.

Based on courses i play, distances I hit my current irons and the fact the new ones will be stronger lofts it doesn't make sense for what I am looking for to have D-3w-3h-4h-5-PW, GW, SW, LW so dropping the 3h and adding another wedge is better for me.

Each person sets their bag up differently and usually base it on the gapping/distances they hit and want.

I just re-gapped my wedges today...had a set AW at 49 and was carrying a 52, 56, and a leftover old, worn out 58. Now I have the set AW wedge at 49 with a new 54 and 58. I figure I can use either out of the sand if need be.
I am also considering dropping my 15 degree fairway and going with a 16-18 degree hybrid to compliment the other adjustable one that ranges from 19-22. I figure I can play with these and find the best gapping for the top of the bag based on my 5 iron is 23 degrees.

Do yourself a favor and try the Ping G25 and G30 hybrids. I have a 25 17* and it's a great club. Looks great at address and very forgiving.

Mark Shuman

With my swing I couldn't tell much difference at all between the 588s and the classics. That's a route you could go if you'd like to save a little $$. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favor and try the Ping G25 and G30 hybrids. I have a 25 17* and it's a great club. Looks great at address and very forgiving.

Mark Shuman
I have hit the ping hybrids and didn't like them all that much. I don't know if it's my swing, but I was very inconsistent with the i and g series hybrids

With my swing I couldn't tell much difference at all between the 588s and the classics. That's a route you could go if you'd like to save a little $$. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will have to try them. More money I save, the more rounds of golf I get to play lol

Yea, I have always had a hard time hitting hybrids, but these are like butter everytime I hit them. I just have a couple more I want to test out before I commit to buying the Clevelands. Just want to make sure they are the best fit before I invest the money on all these new clubs.

I have hit the 588 hybrids and they are very good for me. I play the mashie hybrids and have all of them, but initially I had the M2-18° and M4-23° and they worked well for me and I really don't think I need all the other mashie hybrids. Those two gapped very well for me and both are easy to learn to manipulate distances either by choking up or shortening your swing. Only thing I would do is check the 18° against the 20.5° and make sure you get enough distance out of the 18° over the 20.5° to justify it as the 20.5° is more forgiving for some golfers. You can go 3, 4 hybrid or 3, 5 or 3, 4 and 5 hybrids. The 588 7-wood at 20.5° is an excellent fairway wood to consider also.

I have hit the 588 hybrids and they are very good for me. I play the mashie hybrids and have all of them, but initially I had the M2-18° and M4-23° and they worked well for me and I really don't think I need all the other mashie hybrids. Those two gapped very well for me and both are easy to learn to manipulate distances either by choking up or shortening your swing. Only thing I would do is check the 18° against the 20.5° and make sure you get enough distance out of the 18° over the 20.5° to justify it as the 20.5° is more forgiving for some golfers. You can go 3, 4 hybrid or 3, 5 or 3, 4 and 5 hybrids. The 588 7-wood at 20.5° is an excellent fairway wood to consider also.
Thanks for the info. I am going to hit them again this weekend and pay attention to my averages from each club so I can start to finalize my club selections

Thanks for the info. I am going to hit them again this weekend and pay attention to my averages from each club so I can start to finalize my club selections

The 588's are at a very good price also. This could leave some extra funds for rounds of golf or other golf stuff. Two hybrids in the 588 should give you proper gapping. The 23° hybrid is a very versatile club if it is anything like the mashie and I'm almost sure it is. I think the 588 might be a little better for me than my current mashies, I just haven't convinced myself of that yet. Good luck. I think you are looking at a very good line of hybrids.

I am about to pull the trigger and get a whole new set of clubs. My issue is, I am not sure what I want/need between my 3w and my irons. I am going with an iron set of 6-9 and hybrids to replace my long irons. Do I really need a 3,4,5 hybrid? Or are two hybrids enough?

I'd say generally, a 24-handicapper would see a lot of benefit from having more hybrids. The only disadvantage would be when you need to hit a low, hard stinger for distance (much easier with a long iron).

How did it go this weekend?

Not good. Caught the bug going around and spent the entire weekend wrapped up in a blanket on the couch. I am starting to feel better so I am planning on hitting them this weekend

Back