Floppy

Reaction score
After taking a long break from golf (several months), I came back with my natural swing...which is a slice.

I then over compensated for it by doing the "baseball technique". I set up as if I were hitting it to right field, but squared my club face so I was aiming at center field. It worked, and I was hitting them either dead straight, or a nice draw.

Then I tried going back to my regular footwork and I have a HORRIBLE slice. And I mean UGLY. Like.. 40 yds and then a snap hook. It's awful. I'm even hooking my irons at times, and I've never in my life hit my irons anything other than straight.

Are there any simple drills to try to fix a hook? I've tried doing the opposite of what I did to fix the slice, but it didn't work.

I wish I had a video of my swing, but I don't.

Is the shot starting to the right of the target and then moving more right? What does the contact feel like right now (solid, heel/toe, thin)?

Good thing you posted this flopp. I am too having the same problem.

I know exactly what I'm doing as well, I'm trying to over compensate to prevent a push and I'm closing down on the club face and trying to steer the ball towards the target. I can guarantee that when I make contact the club face is completely closed.

Looking forward to Andy's answer.

Good thing you posted this flopp. I am too having the same problem.

I know exactly what I'm doing as well, I'm trying to over compensate to prevent a push and I'm closing down on the club face and trying to steer the ball towards the target. I can guarantee that when I make contact the club face is completely closed.

Looking forward to Andy's answer.

Yep. I know I'm rolling my wrists early and closing the club face, yet I can't do anything to fix it!

Just shot a 45 today despite missing every fairway, three of them OB. It's killing me.

Is the shot starting to the right of the target and then moving more right? What does the contact feel like right now (solid, heel/toe, thin)?

It is starting out wherever I want it...let's say middle, and then SHANKING left, left, left and more left. It feels solid. I can guarantee I'm closing the club face at contact, but I don't know of any way to fix it.

And I'm an idiot. When I said "go back to my old swing and it's a HORRIBLE slice", I meant HORRIBLE HOOK in my post. The problem is a hook.

I feel your pain. I seem to be having the same issue. Just can't get comfortable over the ball anymore. Feel like I am not keeping a flat left wrist on impact but nor sure how to correct. Driving me crazy as the rest of my game is coming together.

Thanks for the added info. There is a good chance that you flipping and slamming the face shut at impact. Work on some down and through drills to help slow the release. Mark the center of your ball with a tee (an inch or two to the right of your ball.) Hit your shot and look to see where and how the ground is disturbed. I want some divot info from you. While you are doing this The goal is to see a divot after the tee and to see a fairly straight even divot. If you are able to do this you won't be slamming the face shut.

Yep. I know I'm rolling my wrists early and closing the club face, yet I can't do anything to fix it!

Just shot a 45 today despite missing every fairway, three of them OB. It's killing me.

MY exact problem as well! I can even feel my wrists rolling..

Thanks Andy for the tip, I'll give it a try soon.

Back