Tornados... keep your heads down

I live in southern Oklahoma and we had two touch down within 20 miles of me. They damaged a couple of homes of a friend of mine, a couple of windows and some shingling. Thank God that that was the worst of it. Here where I live we had tennis ball size hail, which I havent saw in a while! Two miles from my area there was reported softball size hail! Now that stuff can do some damage! It is sort of a funny site in Oklahoma, because when tornado sirens are sound, everyone just loves to go out and see the sights! LOL I know, it is crazy, but that is about all of the excitement that happens, so everyone has to be apart of it.. :act-up:

Good to hear you guy's are A-OK! We got a touch of the tail from that same storm clear up here in Nebraska. Just rain and a little hail here, nothing like down South. Sounds like interstate 40 was hit hard in OK, extensive damage and 5 people perished from what I can tell.

Not only is the opening the windows a myth, but if you are on the road then getting under an overpass is also not good advise. It is actually worse under an overpass as it funnels wind and debris into it.
Not to mention the wind acutally picks up velocity as it flows under the overpass. Its much like how a leafblower tube with a narrow opening or an airplane wing works: forcing air through a restricted opening causes less volume but higher velocity.
Being under an overpass can be on of the most dangerous places to be in a tornado.

On msn.com this morning, it said that there were series of storms in OK and KS...I hope everyone stays safe.

Is that what basements are for? :confused2:

On msn.com this morning, it said that there were series of storms in OK and KS...I hope everyone stays safe.

Is that what basements are for? :confused2:

Yep, that and pool tables!

Back