New Club for 2015 - Hybrid 3 Iron - HELP!

dwmccroskey

Reaction score
Handicap
THP Brothers,

I've had some trouble getting distance out of my 4 iron lately which puts a huge gap in my bag between my 4 iron and 5 wood. Talking with some other golfers, it was suggested to me to look into a 3 hybrid iron. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I've never used a hybrid before so my knowledge isn't great of them.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Either the Callaway x hot or x2 hot are solid choices in hybrids. As well as Adams or Bridgestone j40, these might be able to found for a deal online. Happy holidays to you as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Cleveland Classic 3H in my bag and love it

X2 Hot Pro is my favorite club in my bag!

I'll add the Cobra Bio Cell hybrid to the other suggestions. Stupid easy to hit and it has adjustable lofts. So you can play around with the settings until you find a loft that fits your yardage gap the best.

X2 Hot Pro is my favorite club in my bag!

I agree - although I am playing the standard X2hot. Once I figured out that I have to play this a bit more forward in my stance, they have been very good to me! I tee off often with my 3 because crazily enough I usually hit it within 10-15 yards of my driver and know if I miss, which is seldom with this, it will be to the left. I am buying a new 4 xhot2 this evening - Merry Christmas to me!

With all the amazing hybrids coming out in 2015, I'd wait til the '15 gear is released.

The new 815 line from Callaway, 915 from titleist and the cobra lines will be a good

If you're not getting a ton of distance with you're 4i, you might want to see what the gap between your 4i and 5i is - it might even make sense to go with a 4h as well.

I'll throw the 588 hybrids from Cleveland in as a great low cost option if you're just interested in trying out a hybrid to see how you like it. Great all around club.

Can't go wrong with the Callaway x2hot line. I demoed one two weeks ago and liked it so much I bought the 3H on the spot and am looking to add the 4h to my bag. Between CPO and ebay you can get them any where between $70-$100 depending on condition.

I don't know that any of the newer hybrids will be any better than what is already out there... There are a TON of options that are great and I have tried a lot lately, but I LOVE my Anser hybrid. I also have a G25 20* while my Anser is a 2h 17*, both are great but I feel like the Anser just murders the ball with ease. A lot of love for the X2 Hot as well. I got the Anser for less than $50 on ebay, just FYI.

Until they introduce a new material, like unobtanium or something unknown to mankind, then for the past 3 years all equipment seems to be pretty much the same with a different paint job. I don't think anything in 2015 will really turn heads.

THP Brothers,

I've had some trouble getting distance out of my 4 iron lately which puts a huge gap in my bag between my 4 iron and 5 wood. Talking with some other golfers, it was suggested to me to look into a 3 hybrid iron. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I've never used a hybrid before so my knowledge isn't great of them.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

For my swing, the Ping G25 hybrids outperformed anything else. Pretty neutral, forgiving and high launching - really like them.

I'll add the Cobra Bio Cell hybrid to the other suggestions. Stupid easy to hit and it has adjustable lofts. So you can play around with the settings until you find a loft that fits your yardage gap the best.

I'll second this. Really easy to hit. I've been impressed with the few rounds I've used mine.

X2 hot is the best hybrid I have ever hit, bar none, being last years model, I have seen prices new around $99...thinking about buying another one and putting it in the closet as a extra :)

Ill throw another vote for the bio cell hybrids. stupid easy to hit and adjustable so you can gap it where needed for your bag.

I'd echo the comment on holding tight for a bit. Those I've spoken with that have hit the to be released Callaway line have raved about the new XR hybrids, as well as the BB 815 hybrids. The new TM and Cobra hybrids looks pretty solid as well though I've only hit the Aeroburner TP and definitely saw potential in that club.

Good luck with your search.

All I can say is I finally got to hit my Ping hybrids today and had a blast.

All I can say is I finally got to hit my Ping hybrids today and had a blast.

Played yesterday with my daughter and she has a new Ping setup, she was knocking the heck out of the G30 Hybrid's, strong mid-high ball flight, solid distance, and per her comments, very easy to hit and forgiving (she was previously playing a Cobra Amp Cell hybrid).

The only 2015 hybo I have hit is the Titleist 915 - 21 and I loved EVERYTHING about it.

Of all the new Callaway releases I enjoyed the basic Big Bertha hybrid the most. It's a little more fairway style but it is super forgiving and very long. Best of luck in your search.

Played yesterday with my daughter and she has a new Ping setup, she was knocking the heck out of the G30 Hybrid's, strong mid-high ball flight, solid distance, and per her comments, very easy to hit and forgiving (she was previously playing a Cobra Amp Cell hybrid).

That's awesome. I have the G20 in both the 17 and 23 degree angle.

To be honest I completely bypassed the 3 and 4 irons. Never even owned them and, being that I'm just a casual weekend hacker, kinda figured I'd be better served with the hybrids. At least for the time being. I think I might the right choice, although I do eventually want to be able to hit long irons well.

Go to the store and hit everything they have. I had it stuck in my mind which hybrids I wanted, and then when I went and tried them all it opened my eyes that what I wanted wasn't going to be the best for me. And actually, after I hit them I didn't want the ones I initially planned at all, I hated them because the just didn't fit my swing. Every company has solid hybrid options right now. I can't stress enough to try them all out and find the ones that fit best to you.

I'm carrying 2 hybrids, after deciding to take the 60 degree wedge out of the bag. I really like the Big Bertha Hybrid, I have it set at 18 degrees, I also carry an old Nike 20 degree hybrid. My first iron is a 5 iron, there are a lot of great looking hybrids coming out, just do some research, hit the ones that catch your attention. You won't regret adding a hybrid to your arsenal.

Dax

Ill throw another vote for the bio cell hybrids. stupid easy to hit and adjustable so you can gap it where needed for your bag.

I'd vote for this as a starting point. Really easy to hit, plus adjustable.

That being said, go hit as many as you can. One will feel right.

Last edited:
dude, you could have hit mine yesterday, just ask!

Back