Best Course In Your Area?

I live in Denver and there are plenty of coursed to be played here. Bear dance is my favorite public course for me.

Define area...there's a private course in town, about 15 minutes away, that's miles better than the local muni...but it's a private course.

Willing to drive 50 minutes, I can get to Benson, which has a great course.

90 minutes away is Tucson, which has a near infinite number of amazing courses. So using that, I'd say the best course in the area is Arizona National. But I haven't played Sewailo or Dove Mountain yet.

I like Copperhead but it's not my absolute favorite. I've heard so many people prefer the Island over it that the next time I go over there, I'm playing it to see what makes people prefer it over Copperhead.

I fall in the group that likes the Island course over Copperhead but both are great tracks. I talked with a member of the local Copperhead group that told me there group made a proposal to use both courses in a rotation but the PGA tour shot it down due to crowd control and viewing area challenges on the Island course.

I would say the best public in the area is the Pine Hills. There are 2 great courses there and the facility is top notch.

Streamsong Blue and Red courses for me.

c2449ca81067e153e39b7a0815c0d7f3.jpg

Streamsong is one of my 2015 wish-list destinations.

Best near me nonprivate is probably Nob North between here and Cleveland, Tennessee. Good layout but they keep the greens a bit slower now than they did for many years. In its glory days--early 80s, it was a popular day trip for lots of folks from the Atlanta area as well as all golfers from over the Chattanooga area. Now it is more in the hidden gem category.

Last edited:
We make it a point to play bear dance at least once or twice per year. You should definitely join us!
I would love to KC but unfortunately for me it's all dependent on finances at the time :question:

Buffalo ridge (branson creek ) is still the best non private course here

I might change my mind once I get on some of the better courses in Branson (30 miles) but for now I gotta roll with Rivercut. It's just 15 minutes away and was ranked #1 muni in Missouri by Golf Digest. It's about golf, not a ton of fancy non golf amenities. Real good practice facilities, especially short game, top 100 teacing pro, flightscope etc... but what stands out to me is what they do for little kids (or elderly/ disabled). They have a completely free 4 hole golf course on site. Yes it only has astro turf greens, but anyone can just show up and play it. No need to go to the clubhouse and sign in. The golf course itself is sweet and especially challenging around the green complexes. Every time I play it I appreciate it more and more. http://www.parkboard.org/935/Rivercut-Golf-Course

Agree with what has already been said about our limited area. All the other great courses around the immediate area are private. Can't ever go wrong with Rivercut for the money. $40ish on weekdays, $50 on weekends and that includes the cart.

After reading through this I'm kind of jealous of some other areas. Lots of nice, available courses to play. 250,000+ people in the area, and we have 1 great public course unless you drive to Branson or Lake of the Ozarks.

Probably the Sherwood CC in Thousand Oaks. This was where Tiger's Chevron Challenge was hosted.

Oak Quarry in Riverside, CA.

There really isn't a "nice" course around my area. We have a short 18 hole "country club" here in town, but it's not that great, honestly...it's just ok at best. The nicest course (IMO) is just over an hour and a half drive for me.

Sand Creek Station in Newton, KS.
http://www.sandcreekgolfclub.com/

Since we can't use Private Courses....if that was the case, then I'd have a lot of you beat with Prairie Dunes being an hour and 15 minutes from my house. lol

There are definitely a few contenders, but for my money in the Bellingham area, I'm gonna say North Bellingham Golf Course. Stout but fair links style layout of about 6800 yds and 74.0/136 rating from the tips. Lots of sand, a fair bit of water, but very few forced carries and mostly wide fairways off the tee keeping it playable for everyone. The greens are without doubt some of the best I have ever played - they roll extremely true even in very wet and cold conditions, but are very tricky to read and definitely reward experience. Good variety of tough and easier holes, though the back 9 is definitely the tougher loop.

http://www.northbellinghamgolf.com/

23505.jpg

b45bb87aca30105a06a959ace009fcd1.jpg

There are definitely a few contenders, but for my money in the Bellingham area, I'm gonna say North Bellingham Golf Course. Stout but fair links style layout of about 6800 yds and 74.0/136 rating from the tips. Lots of sand, a fair bit of water, but very few forced carries and mostly wide fairways off the tee keeping it playable for everyone. The greens are without doubt some of the best I have ever played - they roll extremely true even in very wet and cold conditions, but are very tricky to read and definitely reward experience. Good variety of tough and easier holes, though the back 9 is definitely the tougher loop.

http://www.northbellinghamgolf.com/

23505.jpg

b45bb87aca30105a06a959ace009fcd1.jpg

You know I love this course, it's just so fun to play. A simple layout that is made extremely tough by really fast, hard to read greens. Also, the greens-keeper has a sense of humor judging by some of his pin locations.

You know I love this course, it's just so fun to play. A simple layout that is made extremely tough by really fast, hard to read greens. Also, the greens-keeper has a sense of humor judging by some of his pin locations.
Hah yeah he sure does. The par 3 14th pin position that day with John and Dustin? Yeah...ludicrous haha

Hah yeah he sure does. The par 3 14th pin position that day with John and Dustin? Yeah...ludicrous haha

He does has a nackt for tough pin positions, that one was unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got to go with my home course, although there are many awesome options and very few locals agree on which course is "the best".

Northview Golf and Country Club - Features 2 18 hole Palmer designs. Former home of the Air Canada Championship (PGA Event). Challenging, fun, well conditioned year round and in the summer the fastest greens I've ever played on. Also, when they ramp the Ridge Course into Tournament setup...holy cow you'd better bring 2 pencils.
2f67e058ef3f6de7eb6f5f796a7e3ceb.jpg
This is a great course, although I have yet to bring my A or even B game in any of the 3 times I've played here. I need to join you again sometime soon, now that the rates are reasonable again.

There really isn't a "nice" course around my area. We have a short 18 hole "country club" here in town, but it's not that great, honestly...it's just ok at best. The nicest course (IMO) is just over an hour and a half drive for me.

Sand Creek Station in Newton, KS.
http://www.sandcreekgolfclub.com/

Since we can't use Private Courses....if that was the case, then I'd have a lot of you beat with Prairie Dunes being an hour and 15 minutes from my house. lol

Thanks for posting the link to Sand Creek, It's one of the courses I'm supposed to play with my little brother once the weather warms up. Most of the courses we play when I travel out to see him I've been on several times but have yet to play this one. REALLY looking forward to it now with the info you posted.

Back