Cooking Asian Food at Home

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
JB and I are really serious about cooking almost all meals at home, and one of our favorite foods is Asian. We like Chinese, Thai, Japanese and even some Korean dishes (I am least familiar with Korean dishes).

I recently started cooking with Fish sauce and have fallen in love with it, so I am really excited to try these new ingredients. If all goes well, I could see a Wok purchase in our future.

I have always been intimidated to make Asian food at home because of the ingredients but I really want to try. We are heading to an Asian market tomorrow that is the size of Costco, any suggestions or tips? Do you cook Asian food at home, and if so what's your favorite dish?

No help from me but I would love to figure out how to do this right at home.

Louann makes Asian at home and I prefer it by a large margin over eating out.

Favorites:
Orange Chicken
Bourbon Chicken
Sesame Chicken

I know not very adventurous...

• Admin
No help from me but I would love to figure out how to do this right at home.

Same here! When we order Chinese take-out we always seem to spend like $60 and order WAY too much food. I would love to learn how to make it at home. I have been watching a show called Restaurant Redemption where they help failing Asian restaurants and they make it look so easy to make the food, so I want to try at home.

Love making our own Asian foods.

Pad Thai and General Tso's are my favorite.

I will have to get you my recipes when we get home.

A wok is a must.

Boy, Asian food is the toughest one for me to make. Fried rice is easy, other stuff not necessarily so much. We cook pre-packaged stuff like teriyaki or orange chicken and general tso's chicken. But that stuff kind of doesn't count because it isn't from scratch.

Louann makes Asian at home and I prefer it by a large margin over eating out.

Favorites:
Orange Chicken
Bourbon Chicken
Sesame Chicken

I know not very adventurous...
All those are American lol

All those are American lol

I know....
I watched a news segment last week about a couple guys making "chineese " good in China, it's Americanized Chineese food like you'd get at most restaurants in America. I guess it's doing very well.

I will see what recipes I can finagle. I eat asian food most days of the week.

Orange chicken:
The recipe is presented without resizing, providing 8 servings

Asian Orange Chicken recipe is brightly flavored on the palate and delicious.

Ingredients:

3 cups water
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup & 1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp orange zest grated
2 cups brown sugar packed
1 tsp fresh ginger root minced
1 tsp garlic minced
1/4 cup green onion chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup & 2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup & 2 tbsp olive oil

Preparation:
Pour 3 cups water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce into a saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Stir in the orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, chopped onion, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cool 10 to 15 minutes.

Place the chicken pieces into a resealable plastic bag. When contents of saucepan have cooled, pour 1 1/2 cup of sauce into bag. Reserve the remaining sauce. Seal the bag, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

In another resealable plastic bag, mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the marinated chicken pieces, seal the bag, and shake to coat.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken into the skillet, and brown on both sides. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels, and cover with aluminum foil.

Wipe out the skillet, and add the sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Mix together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water; stir into the sauce. Reduce heat to medium low, add the chicken pieces, and simmer, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Sesame Chicken:
Ingredients:

3 boneless Chichen Breast cubed
Marinade
2 tablespoon Soy sauce
1 tablespoon Rice Wine
1 teaspoon Sesame oil
2 tablespoon All purpose flour
2 tablespoon Cornstarch
2 tablespoon Water
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
Sesame Sauce
1/2 cup Water
1 cup Chicken broth
1/8 cup Rice vinegar
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1 cup Sugar
2 tablespoon Soy sauce
2 tablespoon Sesame oil
2 cloves Garlic minced
Toppings
1 tablespoon Sesame seeds toasted

Preparation:
Cut the chicken into desired sized cubes.
Mix the marinade ingredients together and put into a plastic bag or air tight container.
Add the chicken to the marinade and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
While the chicken is marinating you can make the sauce.
Mix all of the Sesame sauce ingredients together and put in a pot.
Bring the ingredients to a boil, stirring all the time.
Once it has come to a boil remove from the heat and set aside.
Now take a skillet and add enough oil to fry the chicken pieces.
Take the chicken from the refrigerator and take out of the bag.
Do not rinse or remove the marinade from the chicken.
Fry the chicken until crispy brown.
Then drain on a paper towel.
This will take a few batches to do.
When the chicken is all done set aside a minute and let drain.
While the chicken is draining put the sesame sauce back on the heat and bring to a boil again.
Once the sauce is boiling take off the heat.
You can either dump the chicken into the pan with the sauce or put the chciken in a platter and pour the sauce over the chicken.
Once the chicken has been coated, sprinkle the toated sesame seeds.

Bourbon Chicken:
A flavorful chicken dish named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana This was a copycat recipe I found & modified of the Bourbon Chicken sold in most Chinese take-outs; which rarely use bourbon as a component. It's wonderfully sweet & spicy without being too hot. For kids that don't like hotstuffs, cut down on the pepper flakes!

Ingredients:

2 pounds boneless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil (1-2)
1 garlic clove crushed
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch (if thick sauce desired)

Preparation:
Heat oil in a large skillet.

Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.

Remove chicken.

Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well blended and dissolved.

Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.

Serve over hot rice.

Asian stir fry is always an easy meal.

Coriander seeds and Szechuan peppercorns are always good. (The latter gives almost a "numbing" feel common in some Szechuan dishes.) Rice wine vinegar can be used instead of soy sauce (or at least in part) to reduce sodium. I'll also use tofu instead of meat quite often. Hard to know it's there since it takes the flavor of everything else.

Ginger and lemongrass can add a lot of flavor as well. I try to use as little of the prepared Asian sauces as possible. I'm always a little concerned about what is in there. With that said, I'll use hoisin sauce in a pinch.

Getting a wok will help make things faster, but see if you like doing it first. Have fun!

It's not cooking, but I would try a durian if they sell them. It tastes like an almond custard, but it takes some work to open the shell. It's pretty nutritious too.

As for cooking, we roll our own sushi on occasion, which is fun. Finding sushi grade fish is probably the toughest part of it. Otherwise, we do a lot of versions of stir fry.

Good rice is a must! This I do know

It's not cooking, but I would try a durian if they sell them. It tastes like an almond custard, but it takes some work to open the shell. It's pretty nutritious too.

As for cooking, we roll our own sushi on occasion, which is fun. Finding sushi grade fish is probably the toughest part of it. Otherwise, we do a lot of versions of stir fry.

I always get my fish from catalina offshore. www.catalinaop.com I order from there every couple of months and it's always been good.

I have only made gyoza and stir fry's. My wok doesn't see much action but I agree fish sauce sounds awful but it's so tasty and in almost everything. I'm sure everyone has had it and doesn't realize it.

Start by never cooking anything with in the title

First lesson I learned when visiting China, one I've never forgotten

Start by never cooking anything with in the title

First lesson I learned when visiting China, one I've never forgotten

What does that symbol mean?

We had a wok growing up and my mom cooked stuff in there all the time. I don't actually remember it being Asian food but either way she loved her wok.

Isn't durian the fruit that smells like...awful? Do. Not. Want.

I know that I may have a bit of an iron stomach, but I've never had a problem with fish from my local grocery store (I made sure to take a sniff first)

First generation Korean here, and my wife and I try to dabble and recreate dishes I grew up eating. She never had Korean food prior to us dating, and absolutely loves it over Chinese, Japanese (she still hearts Sushi) and Thai.

My mom just provided us 5lbs of homemade Kimchi when I was at home for Christmas :)

Do you enjoy Korean BBQ? I can provide a really good marinade recipe for Kalbi and Bulgogi.

First generation Korean here, and my wife and I try to dabble and recreate dishes I grew up eating. She never had Korean food prior to us dating, and absolutely loves it over Chinese, Japanese (she still hearts Sushi) and Thai.

My mom just provided us 5lbs of homemade Kimchi when I was at home for Christmas :)

Do you enjoy Korean BBQ? I can provide a really good marinade recipe for Kalbi and Bulgogi.

I have never had it but always wanted to try it.

What does that symbol mean?

We had a wok growing up and my mom cooked stuff in there all the time. I don't actually remember it being Asian food but either way she loved her wok.

Some kidding on my part, it's the symbol for dog. The stuff we love to eat in America is much different then what you experience on the streets of Beijing. My first trip over my guide/guard kept steering me clear of things that we would either be offended by or that I would just flat out find disgusting.

I'm all in on Korean BBQ - that is money

Back