Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

Even starting out, I could never hit irons that are considered SGI for some reason. Anything that has a lot of offset I just can't hit, which is why I have typically played a player's CB which is why these caught my eyes. How would you say they compare in forgiveness to the JPX800 Pros that I'm currently hitting?

They are going to be right around the same, maybe actually a bit more forgiving. I had the 825 pros and switched to these. In my short period of swings with these so far, they seem to have a very similar feel, but distance wise mishits seem to still go about the right distance. I felt I lost a good amount of distance on mishits with the 825 pros, which made them hard to feel how far they would carry. With that said though, handicap isn't necessarily the best gauge of what clubs to hit. If you're already playing 800 pros and hit them well, you should have no problem with these.

I actually used the 825 pros as part of my shaft fitting (as well as the Callaway Apex).

I found the Apex more forgiving than the 825 pros and the 545s more forgiving than the Apex

I actually used the 825 pros as part of my shaft fitting (as well as the Callaway Apex).

I found the Apex more forgiving than the 825 pros and the 545s more forgiving than the Apex

Thanks, this helps me out a lot. I have hit the Apex a bit as well and found them to be plenty forgiving for me. If these are even more forgiving, then they may be a winner. Still have to hit them and go in for my fitting, but I had to start narrowing down the list a bit. The pro shop has fitting carts for nearly every major manufacturer, but the new Srixon irons they have there really caught my eye. I will put these on the list.

Even starting out, I could never hit irons that are considered SGI for some reason. Anything that has a lot of offset I just can't hit, which is why I have typically played a player's CB which is why these caught my eyes. How would you say they compare in forgiveness to the JPX800 Pros that I'm currently hitting?
I went from the JPX800 Pro to the Z545. The Z's definitely have more forgiveness, especially low on the face and towards the toe of the club (which are my two common misses so that worked out well for me). I am still learning to hit the Z's, especially since I am experiencing graphite in irons for the first time. They are also easier to launch than the JPX (I had lightweight steel HL shafts in them compared to mid launch graphite in the Z, both stiff flex). I get about 1/2 club more from the Z's and I have the lofts set to exactly what the JPX's were.

By this time tomorrow I should have my 545s in hand

I stopped in to Golfsmith last night and was really disappointed to learn that they don't carry one single Srixon club. I know they are making entry into the US but I'd think that a major retailer like Golfsmith would carry Srixon gear. Heck, they're still stocking Adams clubs!

They sell them, but special order. I'm looking at a set through my local Golfsmith and they will be ordered to spec.

I stopped in to Golfsmith last night and was really disappointed to learn that they don't carry one single Srixon club. I know they are making entry into the US but I'd think that a major retailer like Golfsmith would carry Srixon gear. Heck, they're still stocking Adams clubs!

Yea it's very disappointing. I think they would do extremely well if they sold in stores like that with how good they look and perform.

By this time tomorrow I should have my 545s in hand

Jealous! I won't have mine until at least next week.

I had my set at Bstone Unv. event and the guys can attest that I got away with murder one some shots...I'm talking low toe shots flying almost true and great distances.

Keep in mind that the actual full launch on these isn't until March 2015. Anything in stores now is just a pre-release sampling because of the fact they needed to gauge interest in the US market. And they have been blown away with the reception and how much they are selling now with a limited launch. They aren't even selling individual irons that I know of yet (in the US anyways) until march. I want to get a 7 iron to beat up on the range.

I don't even think have the "staff" cart bag on their website but there were 3 sold out of my local shop that had to be ordered through the Srixon/Cleveland rep. 2 guys went full Srixon with the driver, 3 wood and hybrid and it looks sexy with those irons, the stock grip and the bag. I've done my best to resist and just stick with just the irons lol.

Flash, can you provide some quick comparisons to the Bridgestone irons you hit over the weekend?

Flash, can you provide some quick comparisons to the Bridgestone irons you hit over the weekend?

I double that request, that would be fantastic.

I had my set at Bstone Unv. event and the guys can attest that I got away with murder one some shots...I'm talking low toe shots flying almost true and great distances.

Keep in mind that the actual full launch on these isn't until March 2015. Anything in stores now is just a pre-release sampling because of the fact they needed to gauge interest in the US market. And they have been blown away with the reception and how much they are selling now with a limited launch. They aren't even selling individual irons that I know of yet (in the US anyways) until march. I want to get a 7 iron to beat up on the range.

I don't even think have the "staff" cart bag on their website but there were 3 sold out of my local shop that had to be ordered through the Srixon/Cleveland rep. 2 guys went full Srixon with the driver, 3 wood and hybrid and it looks sexy with those irons, the stock grip and the bag. I've done my best to resist and just stick with just the irons lol.
Did it look this...almost
1846580539fc86ec36b5e3cc27e6091f.jpg

What kind of launch & backspin numbers are you guys seeing from your 545s?

I ask because I went back to the golf store tonight to compare these to the XR Pros & my launch & backspin numbers with the 545s continue to give me much different results than any other iron I've put them up against.

Using a 7i with the S300 shaft, I'm producing around 77mph swing speeds, getting about 3800 rpms of backspin at the most, launching at around 28*, carrying around 160 & getting a peak flight of around 36yds high.

Not sure about the numbers, but they feel good and solid, the ball flight looks pretty, and they generally go the distance and direction I want them to. That's about as technical as we get in south GA...haha

Yea it's very disappointing. I think they would do extremely well if they sold in stores like that with how good they look and perform.

Jealous! I won't have mine until at least next week.

its been close to 3 weeks since I placed my order.

I hit flash's 9i with the c-tapers (not shaft I plan to use) and I missed it a little on the toe and still felt like a solid hit, never moved off its line, carried 130yds (normally hit a 9i around 135ish), flight didn't change from a center contact hit, I also hit a 9i DF during the day, can't compare good hits between the two because I only took one swing with the 545 but did have two mishits off the toe with the DF and saw similar forgiveness with the DF as I did with the 545. Minimal distance loss and ball flight with both. I played with flash on Sunday, don't recall if he hit any of the Bridgestones but he had lot of good results with the 545s on mishits, still went pretty straight, minimal distance loss and same ball flight as one of his good hits.

I can't wait for your thoughts.

Based on a couple hits on Sunday, these are awesome. After hitting the Bridgestones this weekend I don't regret buyin the 545s and out of all the irons I have demo'd fro the upcoming season the DFs are my next iron purchase, probably will be used as a travel set and/or winter set. What can I say...I'm just a club ho

Keep in mind I did not hit the cast offering at all. But since the 545s are a forged club then it should be a fair comparison. The Bstone line is great. They have some great looking stuff that easy to hit, and with the combination of the shaft, it was easy to launch.
But in all honesty, they didn't come close to making me want to replace my current iron set. Had I still had my JPX-850 forged set, yes, there would've been some pondering and more drooling, but not over the 545s. The 545s look just as sexy or better than the J715 MBs (but with 100 times more forgiveness obviously) and where the 545s beat out the DFs and DPFs (I didn't get to hit the cast offering) was lateral forgiveness especially on the toe.

Out of everything I've hit in 2014 (and it's a lot) nothing has given me the maintenance of true ball flight and yardage than what I've seen with the 545s. Also that "thump" at impact and turf interaction on shots that are a hair fat are things I get away with while using the 545s. On #18 I had 150 yards left and was in some sloppy stuff (#1 and #18 were still very wet and cart path only). I hit it fat and made a mess but still got enough on it where I was about 5-10 yards off the front of the green. Areas like that are where the 545s are clear winners while still offering things that are subjective. To me, they are gorgeous clubs (especially being game improvement) and I LOVE the D3 swing weight. The feel is what you expect from a quality forged club but muted with a satisfying thump. The DFs were kind of clicky at impact but still smooth.

Just today I was at the shop getting my Bstone wedge re-shafted and was hitting my 8 iron on a Ping nFlight monitor using a Chrome soft ball (set to 80 degree temp and no wind). I nutted two back to back one at 178, the other at 175, then one off the toe at 166 yards (that was total yards, carry was 175, 173 and 163 respectively, all with about 10-20 yards of draw spin). I was messing with that ball Whoosh thing, and i guess it worked lol.

hope that helps out a bit. I think the Bstone line is worth a look for sure, but to me, my 545s are gonna be in the bag safe and sound for awhile.

its been close to 3 weeks since I placed my order.

Where did you order from? And did you get them customized at all or did you just order the stock offering?

Where did you order from? And did you get them customized at all or did you just order the stock offering?

I called in a favor with the rep in this area (normally would have gone through my fitter) hoping he would get them faster than my fitter. I went with KBS tour shafts and 1* flat. I did my fitting at PGA Tour SS in Orlando just after Christmas and could have ordered with them, but I knew it would be a little cheaper doing it here.

Back