Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

I think I'm going to go to a one fairway setup again, 17* range, good for tee and deck. That will let me go back to 3 wedges in addition to my AW, crazy sounding I know, but I MUST stop full swinging my wedges so with this I would have the AW as my last full swinger in the bag.

Just a thought right now, but, its a thought I kinda like since I rarely use my 3w AND 5w in a round.
This is almost the exact route I'm going this year James and I'm pretty excited about it. Once I get my 20* hybrid my gapping will be complete. I'm more confident than ever off the tee so now I need to give me more options around the green and not relying on 1 wedge for less than full shots.

I like it James. I have bought into the Jessie Ortiz idea that a 17* fairway at 3 wood length can be a magic club.

Yep, its easy up off the deck, and plenty long off the tee. Then I have more options, and in time with breaking in the non full swing wedge rule, more comfort in the scoring zone.

I think I'm going to go to a one fairway setup again, 17* range, good for tee and deck. That will let me go back to 3 wedges in addition to my AW, crazy sounding I know, but I MUST stop full swinging my wedges so with this I would have the AW as my last full swinger in the bag.

Just a thought right now, but, its a thought I kinda like since I rarely use my 3w AND 5w in a round.

My bag is in a bit of a ponder as well dude... I go Driver, 5W, 4H and then 5 iron once the pro combos come in. I know I need something to fill the gap between the 4H and the 5iron but not sure what to do there yet. I may try the 4i for a bit, but I imagine I may struggle to hit it

Get a 5 hybrid to fill the 4H 5i gap

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what to do with the bottom of my bag. The AW is the only wedge I will use a full swing on & then I have a 52/54/58 set up. the 52 has served me well for the 100-75 yd shots, but wondering if I could learn to take something off the AW and accomplish the same thing. The problem is that would mean taking more than a 3/4 swing with my 54 to get that top end of 70-75yds out of it & not sure I'm comfortable doing that.

I'm a huge fan of the 17/18 degree fairway as the only one in the bag. Makes such a difference for me off the deck, and is barely shorter off the tee. Plus, if I'm not pulling driver there I'm looking for control over distance anyway. Plus, opens up a space for either an extra hybrid or in your case wedge.

I really love my current setup, maybe a hybrid to replace the 3 iron is in the cards at some point, but I am just so much more comfortable with a 3 wedge system instead of the 4 wedge setup.

I'm not sure what to do with the bottom of my bag. The AW is the only wedge I will use a full swing on & then I have a 52/54/58 set up. the 52 has served me well for the 100-75 yd shots, but wondering if I could learn to take something off the AW and accomplish the same thing. The problem is that would mean taking more than a 3/4 swing with my 54 to get that top end of 70-75yds out of it & not sure I'm comfortable doing that.

Maybe bend one of those to 53, meet in the middle? Only one degree difference, but might get you a little bit more distance without feeling like you have to absolutely step on it.

I'm a huge fan of the 17/18 degree fairway as the only one in the bag. Makes such a difference for me off the deck, and is barely shorter off the tee. Plus, if I'm not pulling driver there I'm looking for control over distance anyway. Plus, opens up a space for either an extra hybrid or in your case wedge.

Bingo.

I think for me the 3w has been so fun because I've actually found one I truly CAN hit off the deck, but I know a 4w-ish club is still the better option.

Are you at 15 clubs right now (per your signature)?

4 woods/hybrids
7 irons
3 wedges
1 putter

My setup is basically the same as yours minus the 52*. If the above is accurate, I would drop the 52 and leverage the AW down to 90 and then use the 54 at a 3/4 swing for 70-85.

So I am going off the rails by modern standards. No woods of any kind. I just can't keep them in play laterally. Will be teeing off with a pair of driving irons, a 16° that is the same shaft length as a 3i, and an 18° that's as long as a 4i. I know I get 210-220 carry from the 18°, and I expect to get around 230 carry out of the 16°, and playable. Bad drives with those will punish me more as I'll be off line and well back of others, but the chances for a good drive go up a ton for me.

It will put an onus on my mid irons a lot more as I'll be needing strong work from them to give me any kind of scoring chance, but I am so bad with woods, and a pretty confident iron striker so this seems the right way to go for now.

Maybe bend one of those to 53, meet in the middle? Only one degree difference, but might get you a little bit more distance without feeling like you have to absolutely step on it.

This has been a thought, with new irons that I'm getting the AW might be a moot point and I would bend the 52 to 50 & leverage my 54* more

Are you at 15 clubs right now (per your signature)?

4 woods/hybrids
7 irons
3 wedges
1 putter

My setup is basically the same as yours minus the 52*. If the above is accurate, I would drop the 52 and leverage the AW down to 90 and then use the 54 at a 3/4 swing for 70-85.

Exact same set up & see above. The new sticks will force me to do something with the 52 & leverage the 54 more.

Here is my 13 club setup.

Driver - Not macho to not carry a driver right?

5W - can't seem to hit a 3W off the deck, but I get decent yardage out of this 5W, and slipped the 3W shaft (Attas3) into it. Adjustable lofts mean I can get close to a 4W setting with it as well. I currently have the loft cranked up, but I may dial it down.

4H - can hit the 4H well, but for some reason the 5H of the same brand (and shaft) gives me fits like no other.

5-DW - this Cleveland set will be the first time I have a gap wedge that matches my irons. I may feel a bit more comfortable full swinging this puppy. I generally chip and pitch with my PW, but I have to see how the DW and I get along. The 5i is a bit interesting because a 6i is generally my length limit with irons. I am hoping however that my new round of lessons will help me become consistent with the 5i. If not, the 5i 588 may be replaced with the Altitude 5i. I can hit my HiBore 5i decent, so I assume the same would be said for the Altitude ... though do I go graphite shaft (and treat it like a hybrid) or steel shaft (and treat it like an iron)? The last thing I noticed is that the Clevelands are 3/4" longer than my XCG6's. I'm definitely going to have to choke down on them for increased control (which I already did for the XCG6's).

54, 58 wedge - 54 for out of the sand. 58 for ... well, I don't know ...

Putter - Amazing that a switch to the Super Stroke grip made the STX feel so much better in my hands, but it does ... and so I'm sticking with it for now.

My bag isn't top heavy, but when you only hit around 210-215 on average with your drives, there probably isn't much need to be top heavy anyways. I have room for another club, and I have a 7W I like, but not sure if there is a gap between my 5W and 4H to matter much. It also needs a new shaft (has an old Aldila in it) before I probably consider bagging it consistently.

Last edited:
Currently go
Driver 12.5
3 wood 14.5
Rescue 16 (shorter shaft)
4i-pw
Putter

I put the shorted shaft in the hybrid as my home course is links so wanted a hybrid I could use that doesn't instantly go straight up!

Only problem is a flushed one leaves a huge gap to my 4i

Contemplating changing the 16h for a 18 dhy

Still unsure or I can add a higher lofted hybo and drop the 58

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from a gapping perspective the 52 seems to be the odd man...i am guessing your AW is a 50* so going 50/54/58 would be a good gap and you could take something off the AW in either a choke down or 3/4 swing.

what is the loft of PW and what distance do you hit that?

now that my 545s are finally in my bag is getting tweaked a little for now and will get tweaked again with the wedge setup.

Driver 9.5*
3W - 14.5*
3h - 20*
4-PW(44*) - will go with this for a bit, make change to a 4ut or 3ut.
50/54/58 - this will end up changing to 49/53/58 or will be 48/52/56/60 and drop the 3h and change 3W to 4W

from a gapping perspective the 52 seems to be the odd man...i am guessing your AW is a 50* so going 50/54/58 would be a good gap and you could take something off the AW in either a choke down or 3/4 swing.

what is the loft of PW and what distance do you hit that?

PW is 45 or 46 and is my 110-120 club
AW is 50 and is my 110-100 club
52 is 100-70
54 is 70-40
58 is inside of 40 and bunkers.

I think what will happen is the 52 will be bent to 50 and the 54 to 53 and try that out.

PW is 45 or 46 and is my 110-120 club
AW is 50 and is my 110-100 club
52 is 100-70
54 is 70-40
58 is inside of 40 and bunkers.

I think what will happen is the 52 will be bent to 50 and the 54 to 53 and try that out.

this gives you 2 clubs at 50...doesn't seem efficient. since you have a 4-5* gap from PW to AW it makes sense to keep that the rest of the way. you could just go 50/54/58 then use the 50 to play different shots (1/2, 3/4, choked down on grip and take full swing) then keep the 54 and 58 for how you use them now.

New set won't have set wedge

T5's may be the ticket, the 53/57/61 setup sounds so fun.

that changes the game...i just got mine in and will be changing my wedge setup to give me decent gapping, right now i have 6* from PW to 50*. I am going to either bend my 50 to 49 and 54 to 53 or just suck it up since its cold here anyways and then buy my new wedges bent to 49/53 and add in a new 58.

I really love my current setup, maybe a hybrid to replace the 3 iron is in the cards at some point, but I am just so much more comfortable with a 3 wedge system instead of the 4 wedge setup.

I think comfort is vital at that end of the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to go with 13 for a while I think.

Not ready to add the 61/62 just yet, and really want to give the 4w setup a chance (and really, for a bit the 14th slot will be filled with the two competitors, the G30 5w-17 and the Vapor Flex 3w-17).

Back