The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a mirror setup last night in front of my hitting mat so I can work on keeping my head still during the swing, then spent about 45 minutes working on putting. I've got 2 birdieball mats end to end so I've got about 30' of green to work with, and working on grooving my swing to different distances. Has really helped my lag putting since making the change.

spent 4 hrs at the range yesterday doing drills, hitting balls talking golf with my coach, putting, more drills and hitting more balls. was probably my best session at the range in a long while and one I hope to repeat as often as I can. Big focus yesterday was keeping the flex in my left knee(and pointed at the ball), flattening out of my angle of attack on the ball and TEMPO. The beginning of my session was a bit rough but once I got a feel of what I was doing I was able to correct it and make the moves I need to make much more consistently, this lowered my ball flight especially with driver and when I missed those were't near as bad as my normal miss and should have been playable. Worked on lag putting to a 3 foot circle from 20ft on the indoor green with some good success and the ones that were out were just barely long.

I'm struggling to find a purpose to practice. It happens almost every year during the winter. And it pretty much sucks. Trying to find a new teacher hasn't brought any fruit either. I'm ready for spring to get here that's for sure.

THP is my only reason for practicing and improving, if not for events and gathering with the likes of y'all I'd have zero motivation to be better.

Had a really good range session today. Working on shortening the backswing/not crossing the target line. Had really good success throughout the bag. It's been a while since I hit driver as well as I was today, it made me feel pretty good.

Had a really good range session today. Working on shortening the backswing/not crossing the target line. Had really good success throughout the bag. It's been a while since I hit driver as well as I was today, it made me feel pretty good.
Awesome to read this John! You'll have to give me some tips next time out.

I had a game plan for tonight's session but that got disrupted when I met a Callaway rep hitting balls next to me. He insisted I hit all the clubs in his bag... so I did lol.

XR driver, XR 3 wood, V series Heavenwood, BB hybrid, and Mack Daddy wedges. Let the pondering begin!

Just back from the range (after lunch in the clubhouse) and was pleased with how things went after not hitting a ball for so long

Took it easy as it was pretty chilly as well so distances were quite a lot down on what I would normally expect to see with the clubs I hit but it was good to be back out there again

IMAG0124_zpsrhnuivgk.jpg

Good to hear man!! You're a long bomber when you get that driver going, here's hoping it continues!

Spent an hour at the sim yesterday, just on the range working on my swing since my friend unfortunately had to back out at the last minute so I didn't play a round. Warmed up with a PW and then did a driver comparison (K15 was clear winner) before working on irons. I haven't had an actual "practice" session for a few months, so it was good to just take my time and work on my weight shift and the thought of turning my back to the target. My back was sore by the time I was done, though!!! Definitely out of "game shape".

First lesson in 2015 with my instructor, Erika is in the books. Spent the hour recaping and checking what we worked on last year. Then really focused on my transition, making sure my weight is finishing forward. Feels great to get started again.

cfcd4de24a46a3bd4c50095a0b0e3216.jpg

Afterward I spent about 20-25 minutes putting on their indoor green.

0602a8f26998e2f2a31c83d08792d600.jpg

Nice looking facility right there!

Nice looking facility right there!
It really is a nice facility. Club making area, 4 Sims and a couple of other hitting bays that tee a ball up for you automatically. Toss in the putting green and it is no surprise why the place was packed.

Yesterday was a bad day at the range. The last two rounds of simulator golf I played showed that I am coming way over the top (like 12 degrees), this happens to me every year at some point. This continued at the range yesterday and I think I took a further step back. I couldn't hit anything straight, wedges included. I stopped hitting yesterday when I started hitting the ball really on the heel, like barely hitting the ball. Hopefully I can figure this out before the end of march.

Spent 1.5 hours at the dome today. Worked on staying down throughout the swing and also keeping the club in front of me on the backswing, especially with the longer clubs. Really was striking the ball well.

Lesson in the morning and a practice session afterward

I am pondering a season pass at the range near me for this summer, but I am not sure if it is worth it. they want 400 bucks (same price than 50 large buckets at 8$)

I think it would help my game a lot, but should I keep that money for more rounds or lessons?

My 2 cents on this is to consider your entire playing schedule. I did a range pass one year in college when I had no money however I didnt play many rounds. Maybe it set good fundamentals for my game today but that year I scored worse than I ever had. My thought is that too much range time is actually a bad thing. The more you sit on the range the more technical you get and the more swing thoughts you create which leads to more swing thoughts during a round of golf which normally leads to higher scores because of a softer mental approach.

Now Ben Hogan would tell you otherwise ; however, not everyone is Ben Hogan. My suggestion would be buy a Visa gift card for 200$ and use it as your range card. Take your other 200 and buy another gift card. Find a cheap course that does 9 hole twilight or unlimited play. Use your range as practice but also use those 9 hole twilight or unlimited rounds to hit 3-4 balls per hole and practice shots you wouldnt practice on a range.

First lesson in 2015 with my instructor, Erika is in the books. Spent the hour recaping and checking what we worked on last year. Then really focused on my transition, making sure my weight is finishing forward. Feels great to get started again.

Afterward I spent about 20-25 minutes putting on their indoor green.

What a great practice facility. I am very jealous - then again my wife is probably happy one of those arent near me. Id get lost all winter in there. :) I wonder how much there business falter in the warmer months ?

Great lesson this morning and practice session this morning afterward.

Started out this morning hitting balls like I had never touched a club, so bad my coach asked if it hand been abducted. Worked on a few old things and got me back to closer to "normal" for me.

Took a video and looked at it and saw I was in a good position at the top of the swing besides needing to be a little taller in my stance.

Decided it was time to work on the fixing my move into the ball and really start covering the ball. Some how I had let a slide come into the swing and I was like a mile in front of the ball before my L hip cleared which caused a really arms/hands move to make contact with the ball.

We spent the rest of the lesson working on getting me to clear/hide the left hip to create consistency. I was somewhat consistent with this and when I missed it was cause I slid the hip instead of hiding it andthey weren't as bad as before, when I got it right ball speed jumped and carry went up 20yds

Great lesson lots of work ahead of me.

Spent 3.5 hrs at the practice area. Started w 35 yd shots, moved into a bunker where I hit all 50 balls without leaving a ball in the sand!
Then chipping around the green, back into a bunker, then 40 yd shots.
Putting for 30 min, then to the range. Started w 60 yd shots, moved up and down the irons, to hybrid, 3w and driver. Back to sand wedge, finished w driver again.
Lesson tmrw am.

Going out tomorrow to work on my putting. After a couple of rough rounds on the green in a row, its time to get it fixed. Have an hour blocked off to head to the green and hope to get it dialed back in.

Going out tomorrow to work on my putting. After a couple of rough rounds on the green in a row, its time to get it fixed. Have an hour blocked off to head to the green and hope to get it dialed back in.

You been playing with Coers again #nogimmies

I can't wait for spring to get bag on the green

Worked on making a fuller turn with more power/wrist cock today. Coming back from injuries from August 2011. Finally able to swing without pain in my neck, back or hands. Chipped, pitched first. Went to a different range to hit off the grass.
Using old balls I have picked up and saved for the last 5 years. Hit pitching wedge 116 to 120 yards, a few 7 irons then rest of balls on the Driver. Got some out to 235 most went about 220 however. Going to hit more then go in and re-evaluate all my equipment. Shafts, everything. I gained 17 pounds so I need to shed them and get in golf shape.

I spent 1/2 a bucket working on FW off the deck. Muscling up = bad. Full torso turn = good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great practice facility. I am very jealous - then again my wife is probably happy one of those arent near me. Id get lost all winter in there. :) I wonder how much there business falter in the warmer months ?
They actually offer monthly memberships that are pretty reasonable.

But I agree with you on the summer months. I have a feeling they do okay, but nowhere near the business like I saw on Sunday.

Got 60 minutes in the sim booked for tomorrow. It will be the first real practice session of the year so well see how it goes. Going to just work on the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back