How to stop the occasional really high wedge shot?

Flowmosapien

i play golf
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been hitting a lot of wedges lately and noticing that every once in a while I will get underneath the ball. This produces a mile high shot that goes no where. So how do you stop this from happening? Thanks.

Does this happen to you out of the fairway or the rough? Basically what is happening is that you are striking under the ball and making a very glancing blow with the face. To keep from getting under the ball make sure you are hitting the ball with a decending blow. I like to play the ball a little further back in my stance, close the face a tad and play a low shot. One of the best things you can do for your game is learn to hit different shots with your wedges. Whether it be high and soft, low and running, different scenarios call for different shots. Practicing them and learning what does what can be very useful.

I've been hitting a lot of wedges lately and noticing that every once in a while I will get underneath the ball. This produces a mile high shot that goes no where. So how do you stop this from happening? Thanks.

I've been having the same problem. Thanks for starting the thread!

Are the shots coming up short or going long?

Does this happen to you out of the fairway or the rough? Basically what is happening is that you are striking under the ball and making a very glancing blow with the face. To keep from getting under the ball make sure you are hitting the ball with a decending blow. I like to play the ball a little further back in my stance, close the face a tad and play a low shot. One of the best things you can do for your game is learn to hit different shots with your wedges. Whether it be high and soft, low and running, different scenarios call for different shots. Practicing them and learning what does what can be very useful.
They happen everywhere. I try not to hit full wedge shots as much as I can but when I have to get over obstacles, there is no other option. This is when my score takes a beating.

Are you taking a divot after the ball?

Are you taking a divot after the ball?

Usually yes. When I hit it good or when I hit the bad high shot that I'm talking about, for the most part I take a divot. The only time I don't is when I hit it thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ball is rolling up the face and killing the energy..this is why your shots are high and short. Check the ball potion in your stance. Make sure your hands are forward and your swing isn't too long. Try 3/4 swings and see if your contact get better with a new ball postion. You are looking for the bottom of your swing. That's were the ball should be placed

The ball is rolling up the face and killing the energy..this is why your shots are high and short. Check the ball potion in your stance. Make sure your hands are forward and your swing isn't too long. Try 3/4 swings and see if your contact get better with a new ball postion. You are looking for the bottom of your swing. That's were the ball should be placed

Thanks so much. I'll definitely try this out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm,

I prefer you learn to deliberately do that super back spin super high flying ball,

That shall teach you to not to hit, but to slash, below the ball at short pitching and chipping, deliberately putting ball stopping back spin at the ball.

And you will find that much controllable, although harder to use, than bump rolling the ball. :)

My reaction exactly echo's BEGO--- you DO need to figure out what you're doing (NOT what you're doing WRONG) to get that Parachute Ball....it will enable you to hit the shots you want to hit, and it adds a nice drop lob to your game.

Back