Toughest lie to date

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
Played 18 this past weekend and hit a shot into the bunker. No big deal since I was doing well in the sand, however, this time it was different.
The ball was about three inches away from a 5 inch lip, going on a steep uphill, greenside, and plugged. By the the toughest lie I have encountered.
I had no idea how to hit the ball and the best stance I could muster was right leg in the bunker, and my left KNEE, on the outside. It was that deep of a bunker. I took my 58* and baseball swung at the madness. Nothing. Took another swing, ball falls into the middle of the bunker. Only there was I able to finally get out of this mess.

How can one get out of this situation without wasting strokes?

The worst I have seen in the last year or so was Texasbrons at Love is in the Air last year. The green is directly behind him in this pic. He actually hacked it out, chipped up and made his putt for par:

2aqame9u.jpg

Had one similar to that, Erky. Just took an unplayable and went on. Maybe it would have saved you one stroke?

Had one similar to that, Erky. Just took an unplayable and went on. Maybe it would have saved you one stroke?

He actually made par. He hit his second on a par 5 over the green to that position. Got that out, chip up and one putt.

He actually made par. He hit his second on a par 5 over the green to that position. Got that out, chip up and one putt.

Nice. Must've had better bunkers than the places I play haha. I looked at it and said nope. Dropped and got it up and down.

If I were to call an unplayable, what is the correct ruling and my options for a drop?

The worst I have seen in the last year or so was Texasbrons at Love is in the Air last year. The green is directly behind him in this pic. He actually hacked it out, chipped up and made his putt for par:

2aqame9u.jpg

Ha! Bobby had one similar to that last year but the ball was completely covered. We had to dig in the sand to find it. Also saw AKRobby hit out of the water at TheKing last year.

Thankfully I have not had any lies that resemble either of those!

A couple years ago I hit one into the face of a bunker that we never found. It just disappeared into the sand. We actually raked through the face of the bunker and found 3 balls, but none of them were mine.

Checkered and Ethan from Callaway had a nasty one during our alternate shot round at #TheGauntlet last year. Checkered's tee shot plugged into the face of a bunker on the Fazio course at Palmetto Dunes. They had to take an unplayable, it was brutal.

e2ehe8et.jpg

A day earlier, I had a ball fall out of a tree and plug under the lip. To make matters worse, it plugged under the lip of the bunker on the side furthest away from the green.
gu8eza9u.jpg

The ball is under the lip opposite the flag in the background.
marube4y.jpg

If I were to call an unplayable, what is the correct ruling and my options for a drop?
1. Play another where you took your last shot
2. Drop in the bunker and no closer to the hole within 2 club lengths of where your ball lay.
3. Drop in the bunker, keeping the point where your ball lay between the drop spot and the hole.
Any of the above under 1 penalty stroke and you lift and clean your ball or substitute a new ball.

Checkered and Ethan from Callaway had a nasty one during our alternate shot round at #TheGauntlet last year. Checkered's tee shot plugged into the face of a bunker on the Fazio course at Palmetto Dunes. They had to take an unplayable, it was brutal.

A day earlier, I had a ball fall out of a tree and plug under the lip. To make matters worse, it plugged under the lip of the bunker on the side furthest away from the green.

The ball is under the lip opposite the flag in the background.
marube4y.jpg

Is that a par 3? Because that bunker looks familiar. I hit a tree with my drive on the next hole (par 4) and it ricocheted back into that bunker.

Is that a par 3? Because that bunker looks familiar. I hit a tree with my drive on the next hole (par 4) and it ricocheted back into that bunker.

Its the par 4 second hole on the RTJ course at Palmetto Dunes.

Hood the club over and cleave that sucker outta there!

I had something... unusual last saturday.

there is still snow on the ground outside of the fairways. I hooked my bass into the woods, and found my ball against a tree, in a kind of hole where the snow melts.

see image below, this is not the lie I had, I didn't take a photo, but that's what it looked like. obviously, it was winter rules, so I placed it back on the snow and played from there. I wonder what I could have done from there if I tried to play it, besides breaking my club of course

bamboo-snow2.jpg

Back