Some Answers Please

Ken-Iowa

Reaction score
Handicap
Unknown
In a conversation with a friend of mine last fall after a round of golf he wrote "Learn your techniques from the same gender. There is no being nice to the grass. There is no pirouette allowed in golf, only dance."

After a little reading online I've come disagree with the first premise. I have a lady golf instructor who I believe can teach me as well as any man. I understand the grass comment. I not sure what he meant by the pirouette comment and I haven't been able to get a grasp of anything I've read online.

Can anyone help me understand the pirouette comments. Feel free to comment on the other premises also.

I've been golfing just a couple of years now and am still picking up the lingo and such.

No idea what the pirouette is about. Regarding learning from the same gender I say that is a bunch of crap. I believe in finding a teacher who,shares the same goal as you and that can communicate with you what they are trying to get you to do. I have a friend taking lesson from a female coach and likes what she is doing for his swing. I also know several female golfers who learned from male instructor. Not sure why your friend would make that comment but there are lots of qualified instructors out there regardless of gender.

ask him if Lydia Ko and Michelle Wie are suffering from having David Leadbetter being their coach.

And then ask him if he really thinks Lydia Ko couldn't teach him a thing or 50 about effectively striking a golfball.

post-35884-that-dont-make-no-sense-gif-O-RZSo.gif

Makes no sense at all. Most professional women golfers can out-drive, out-finesse, out-putt and beat the majority, if not all of us on the golf course. Their technique must be pretty good, and we can learn a lot by watching how they play.

It sounds to me like your friend has a great vocabulary for being sexist, or just uses too big of words for a 'joke' to be funny. Otherwise, I echo what others have said. Don't care about the gender, just want to 'gel' with my instructor.

Also, welcome to THP! Always excited to have another member from Iowa.

~Rock

In a conversation with a friend of mine last fall after a round of golf he wrote "Learn your techniques from the same gender. There is no being nice to the grass. There is no pirouette allowed in golf, only dance."

After a little reading online I've come disagree with the first premise. I have a lady golf instructor who I believe can teach me as well as any man. I understand the grass comment. I not sure what he meant by the pirouette comment and I haven't been able to get a grasp of anything I've read online.

Can anyone help me understand the pirouette comments. Feel free to comment on the other premises also.

I've been golfing just a couple of years now and am still picking up the lingo and such.

I feel like I just read something from my German textbook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure you should take golf advice from someone that quotes fortune cookies.

Either that or you might want to have him drug-tested for hallucinogens.

I think your friend should stop drinking before noon.....

Ted Purdy works with a female instructor at Moon Valley CC and has for a long time.

Total nonsense.

I don't hit 300 yards, probably never will. Right now I have a coach who works well for me who happens to be male. His instruction methods work well for me to work on my swing. I feel like he's the right guy to get me from my 30 handicap down into the teens. But if I wanted to go from say a 10 handicap to scratch, the best possible example for my game would be the LPGA tour pros. They play a game and distances that I can relate to. They're as good as they are because they are deadly accurate, ridiculously good at recovery, and can out-think courses rather than overpower them.

Back