Shortening Length of FW and Hybrid?

arwin

Reaction score
In an attempt to be more accurate with my driver, I cut my shaft down from 46" to 44.5". I've found that with the short driver length, I'm getting more accurate with my drives. My last 2 rounds, I've been 50% in fairways hit with the misses normally being in the rough. Previously, I'd be taking roughly 4 penalties a round because of lost balls of the tee but in the 3 rounds that I played this year, I've only had to take 3 penalties so far.

Now that I'm convinced the shorter driver length has helped me, I'm looking to cut down my FW shaft and possibly the hybrid shaft.

If I'm playing to a 44.5" driver shaft, what lengths should I go with in a FW and hybrid?

Any idea what the standard lengths of the FW and hybrid are to start with?

I believe 3 woods tend to play stock around 43". I tried cutting a 3 wood down to 42" once and didn't see any beneficial results.

Your driver was playing just 1/4" over standard, so you cut down a lot! Your 4w has a stock length of 42.5" currently and the hybrid is 40.5". I'd suggest going down 1/2" to start and see what happens. I do that with my driver and notice little distance loss with greatly increased accuracy. If you don't see much difference there, chop another 1/2" off. Keep us informed on what you do and the results you see!

Last edited:
For me, driver is 44.5", 3/4" short. 4w is 42.5", 1/2" short. Hybrids are "standard at 40" and 39.25".
FWIW it was a noticeable difference when I cut the driver down, not that noticeable when I shortened the FW.

I cut down my driver and it's been more accurate. With my 3 wood, not so much. No change in performance.

Your driver was playing just 1/4" over standard, so you cut down a lot! Your 4w has a stock length of 42.5" currently and the hybrid is 40.5". I'd suggest going down 1/2" to start and see what happens. I do that with my driver and notice little distance loss with greatly increased accuracy. If you don't see much difference there, chop another 1/2" off. Keep us informed on what you do and the results you see!

I agree.

I took half an inch off my 3w and an inch off my hybrids. I increase my consistency with my hybrids but did take a little getting use too. My 3w only got a little better. I'm considering taking it down another half inch just to experiment with.

I tried a 1" cut down shaft with my driver and was much worse. I was missing low on the face and I'm just used to the 45.5 I've been playing for years. I was really surprised. I tried a few different times at the range and the experiment didn't work for me.

I also discovered I should be playing my irons +1/2" and didn't know it. I have been fit for drivers many times but never irons. I have been playing standard length for years but I'm always at the very end of the shaft when I play. My next set, I'm ordering +1/2".

I just choke down on all of my clubs. It has helped with my accuracy but meant I didn't have to mess with the shafts.

Cut my X-Hot driver shaft 2" down to 44" last spring and had good results. Picked up an X2 Hot 3-wood late last fall. Intend to start with lopping off 1". Based on my experience with the Driver just don't feel a 1/2" reduction would be enough to make a difference.

Thought of doing this myself then I consulted a chart, seems 44.5" should be playing 43.5" 3w. You could always start by choking down the woods a la Lydia Ko and see if that works out before you start cutting.

I play my driver at 45" and I cut 1" off of my fairway wood. I am much more accurate with my fairway wood now. I didn't need to cut anything off of my hybrids.

Back