deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Been working on trying to keep that arm tucked and turn properly. With the K15, I was hitting a pretty good ball (for me). If I need to take better video, let me know and I'll adjust my camera (and try to get another angle with my iPad).

I am not seeing the video deuce, you got it set to private?
Been working on trying to keep that arm tucked and turn properly. With the K15, I was hitting a pretty good ball (for me). If I need to take better video, let me know and I'll adjust my camera (and try to get another angle with my iPad).

Deuce you do a great job of keeping connected, maybe too well. You're coming over the top. This might be due to the fact your alignment is off. But that only part of it. You still want to deliver the club from an inside or down the line position. You're over the top of that line. With the elbow tucked it should be natural motion for an onside out delivery. Remember to,supine the arms and body, this should drive a better club path.

Deuce you do a great job of keeping connected, maybe too well. You're coming over the top. This might be due to the fact your alignment is off. But that only part of it. You still want to deliver the club from an inside or down the line position. You're over the top of that line. With the elbow tucked it should be natural motion for an onside out delivery. Remember to,supine the arms and body, this should drive a better club path.
Dang over the top move! It's my personal golfing demon. Ok, I'll work on it!

Question in regards to my posture ... am I too straight up, or do I have a proper lean over the ball? I feel as if I'm a bit more bent over with my irons, and I assume (maybe incorrectly) that I should have the same posture for every club in my bag?

I'll try to get video of a swing with my irons tonight or tomorrow for reference. Maybe it's all just in my head.

Based on the video you posted, you are solid in your posture. For me, I like the left shoulder to be on or inside the ball when at the top of your swing. Meaning, if I were to draw a line from your left shoulder, the angle would be in line with the ball or just inside. If it is outside the ball, you are standing to tall. You have a good address position which gets that left shoulder on the ball from a spine tilt aspect.

I am not talking about turning behind the ball, that is something else. I'm speaking of that imaginary plane created by your shoulder turn down to the ball. Make sense?

deuce - I just wanted to say that your swing looks really good at the top. You can get the OTT ironed out if you keep at it.

Based on the video you posted, you are solid in your posture. For me, I like the left shoulder to be on or inside the ball when at the top of your swing. Meaning, if I were to draw a line from your left shoulder, the angle would be in line with the ball or just inside. If it is outside the ball, you are standing to tall. You have a good address position which gets that left shoulder on the ball from a spine tilt aspect.

I am not talking about turning behind the ball, that is something else. I'm speaking of that imaginary plane created by your shoulder turn down to the ball. Make sense?
Yes it does. I'll make sure it stays that way.

deuce - I just wanted to say that your swing looks really good at the top. You can get the OTT ironed out if you keep at it.
Thanks Hawk. This is going to be a major focus for the spring and summer.

I agree, everything looks very good at the top.

Now take this with the biggest grain of salt in the history of the world... but I would say that you want to try and initiate your down swing with your lower body. It looks like you get to that great top position and then throw your hands at the ball. Try getting there and starting your move with your hips. Again, a grain of salt and please ignore if I in any way mess up what you are working on.

I agree, everything looks very good at the top.

Now take this with the biggest grain of salt in the history of the world... but I would say that you want to try and initiate your down swing with your lower body. It looks like you get to that great top position and then throw your hands at the ball. Try getting there and starting your move with your hips. Again, a grain of salt and please ignore if I in any way mess up what you are working on.
Yeah, got to work on that as well.

One of the guys I play with regularly made a recommendation to me yesterday, and upon trying it, it seemed to work. Since I come over the top, he suggested that I set up with the ball a bit towards the toe. He said that it could potentially help me produce a down-the-line or slight in-to-out swing. On the four or so holes I tried it on, it seemed to do the trick, but I was wondering if it's just all in my head, or if there is a solid reason for doing so?

I notice that sometimes when I am over the ball, I feel crowded and I think I throw my shoulder out in an attempt to give myself "more room" at which point I've just produced an out-to-in swing. I don't want to reach for it, but maybe I'm still trying to find that "sweet spot" that gives me the perfect distance between my body and the ball.

One of the guys I play with regularly made a recommendation to me yesterday, and upon trying it, it seemed to work. Since I come over the top, he suggested that I set up with the ball a bit towards the toe. He said that it could potentially help me produce a down-the-line or slight in-to-out swing. On the four or so holes I tried it on, it seemed to do the trick, but I was wondering if it's just all in my head, or if there is a solid reason for doing so?

I notice that sometimes when I am over the ball, I feel crowded and I think I throw my shoulder out in an attempt to give myself "more room" at which point I've just produced an out-to-in swing. I don't want to reach for it, but maybe I'm still trying to find that "sweet spot" that gives me the perfect distance between my body and the ball.

am i reading this correctly that the recommendation was to change your ball position by moving it closer to the target? that typically produces the opposite of your desired result; ball farther back in your stance generally produces a more in-to-out path since the club will be contacting the ball "sooner" in the arc assuming weight distribution and other swing mechanics aren't adjusted. the only caveat would be that this also gives you less time to square the clubface, so a slightly stronger grip may be needed. when i visualize the arc of the golf club around my body, and where the club is impacting the ball relative to that arc, i can't "see" the club approaching more from the inside by moving the ball farther up in the stance and therefore "later" in the arc.

and just to clarify, did you see better results by doing this with all clubs, or just the driver?

am i reading this correctly that the recommendation was to change your ball position by moving it closer to the target? that typically produces the opposite of your desired result; ball farther back in your stance generally produces a more in-to-out path since the club will be contacting the ball "sooner" in the arc assuming weight distribution and other swing mechanics aren't adjusted. the only caveat would be that this also gives you less time to square the clubface, so a slightly stronger grip may be needed. when i visualize the arc of the golf club around my body, and where the club is impacting the ball relative to that arc, i can't "see" the club approaching more from the inside by moving the ball farther up in the stance and therefore "later" in the arc.

and just to clarify, did you see better results by doing this with all clubs, or just the driver?

Ball is still just inside my left foot, but just maybe an inch further away from my body so the when I set up, instead of the ball being dead center of the club face, it's towards the toe (of the club face). I only tinkered with this "setup" with my driver, because for the most part, while I can still come over the top with my irons the results are not as severe and I can keep it "between the lines" so to speak. Actually, I've been working on feeling as if I'm dropping my arms as my "first move" as opposed to "rolling my shoulder" and so when I look at my divot, it's more down the line than it used to be.

Ball is still just inside my left foot, but just maybe an inch further away from my body so the when I set up, instead of the ball being dead center of the club face, it's towards the toe (of the club face). I only tinkered with this "setup" with my driver, because for the most part, while I can still come over the top with my irons the results are not as severe and I can keep it "between the lines" so to speak. Actually, I've been working on feeling as if I'm dropping my arms as my "first move" as opposed to "rolling my shoulder" and so when I look at my divot, it's more down the line than it used to be.

cool. so we're talking about the ball being a little farther away from you, not necessarily more forward in your stance? i could see this allowing more room for your arms, and if you were "crowding" the ball before an ott move could be necessary to keep from shanking the ball.

and changing this setup for a driver is pretty common. i've seen shawn clement and martin hall both talk about this because we tee the driver higher than any club and we hit up on the driver (at least that's my understanding of why to do it). there are guys like zach johnson who set up with pretty much every ball off the toe, and he primarily hits a draw. then there's luke donald who sets up with pretty much everything off the heel, and i think he usually hits a cut. so translating those setup positions into their respective shot shapes can help visualize what the plane has to do to make solid contact, and why the ball is doing what it does.

Back