Leupold GX-1i2 Laser Rangefinder Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of things stand out from this press release that just went out today. First, it says available in January (which it has been). Second, it says MSRP is $299, but directly on their website it says MSRP is $374.

This is a press release

Leupold has drawn on more than 100 years of experience in optics and surveying to deliver the new GX-1i2 rangefinder. The GX-1i2 is designed for customization to the individual golfer's needs.

The GX-1i2 features Leupold's exclusive PinHunter® 2 Laser Technology, has seven selectable aiming reticles, utilizes cutting edge micro-processing circuitry, and uses an advanced infrared laser to accurately and consistently hunt down the pin against virtually any background.

"The more powerful GX-1i2 offers golfers the ability to customize their on-course experience," said Tim Lesser, director of product development for Leupold & Stevens, Inc. "The upgraded mechanics and exclusive technology can help shave both time and strokes off the game for golfers of any experience level."

The GX-1i2 includes updated Prism Lock™ Technology, which delivers unmatched accuracy by using highly reflective prisms already incorporated into many course features and pins to obtain a high intensity return to the rangefinder. With Prism Lock, golfers can be assured distance measurements are exact.

Other key GX-1i2 features include a high-contract LCD display, measurements in both yards and meters, and DNA® engine for instant measurements and a high degree of accuracy. Diehard golfers will also appreciate the exclusive Fog Mode, which provides fast, accurate distance measurements, even in the worst conditions.

Rugged, compact, waterproof and tournament legal, the GX-1i2 has 6X magnification and can range up to 800 yards. The GX-1i2 will be available January 2015 and has a suggested retail price of $299.99.

LEU_GX1i2_vert_angle-530x480.jpg

Cool color scheme! I have really enjoyed the V3 but if it's one thing I wish it had its the 6x magnification for those 225+ shots. Anyone know if this one has black or red optics?

Leupold GX-1i2 Laser Rangefinder Preview

That is a strange discrepancy.

I love my V3 but the leupolds have always intrigued me

Their tech stuff always sounds so cool, specifically the fog mode and the prism lock.

Also really dig that green.

Using Tapatalk

• Admin
Cool color scheme! I have really enjoyed the V3 but if it's one thing I wish it had its the 6x magnification for those 225+ shots. Anyone know if this one has black or red optics?

I honestly cant tell the difference between 5x and 6x when I try them.
I can tell the difference in the larger ones like the 7x in the pro model.

A couple of things stand out from this press release that just went out today. First, it says available in January (which it has been). Second, it says MSRP is $299, but directly on their website it says MSRP is $374.

The GX-1i2 features Leupold's exclusive PinHunter® 2 Laser Technology, has seven selectable aiming reticles, utilizes cutting edge micro-processing circuitry, and uses an advanced infrared laser to accurately and consistently hunt down the pin against virtually any background.

The press release says it has PinHunter 2 technology, but on the website it says it's only the GX-3i2 and GX-4i2. Seems more than a little misleading between the website and the press release.

Our improved PinHunter 2™ Laser Technology (available on GX-3i² and GX-4i² filters out background images and makes zeroing-in on the target faster and easier.

Maybe the website just hasn't been updated?

Does the display still flash when it locks a yardage? That was the thing that kept me from one of these.

• Admin

I hope so, but with the device launching "in January", its just confusing.

Does the display still flash when it locks a yardage? That was the thing that kept me from one of these.

I would assume so. Not positive however.

I hope so, but with the device launching "in January", its just confusing.

I would assume so. Not positive however.

Sorry, I'm a lazy a$$ and didn't quote Neb when I should have lol.

I will say that while I've pretty much coveted a Bushnell the entire time I've had the G3 that it's been very durable at least. I get a funky reading from time to time when it grabs the wrong target, but I do appreciate that it's built well.

that is some confusing information.

I am a fan of leupold products, i still have the v2 bushnell that works great for what i need and with the technology in the gps watches not sure there will be a need for a range finder or to upgrade at this point.

Possible, but that was from the GX-1i2 page. I'd think before you launch a page you QC it to make sure it is accurate, but maybe that's just what I'd do.

I've got an earlier generation leupold that works fine, but having used a buddy's Bushnell, when this one craps out I'll probably be going away from leupold.

This looks like a great rangefinder for $300. I have owned a couple Bushnells(Z6 Jolt most recently) and a couple Nikons and much prefer my Leupold GX4i over any other rangefinder I've had. Optics are equal to Leica and the feature set, such as fog mode, make the Leopold functional in more weather conditions than the Nikons or Bushnells.

I wondered when we would see a new model from them. Tough to beat the bushnell, but I've heard good things in the past about Leupold, only messed with one model a while back. Having the ability to select,
seven selectable aiming reticles
, would be a cool customization.

got one of these for my bday! it will be my first rangefinder, instead of always bumming off friends. pretty excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Birthday! Please post your impressions after you give it some use. I plan on buying a budget rangefinder soon but haven't decided on a model yet.

has anyone compared the size to the GX3i? love the smaller size of the 3xi...fits in back pocket nicely...and crazy accurate...

Happy Birthday! Please post your impressions after you give it some use. I plan on buying a budget rangefinder soon but haven't decided on a model yet.

have a couple rounds scheduled this week, so will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

man this thing is sweet! i had -0- problems picking up any target. i have shaky hands, and this thing handled it very well for me. my only complaint is that the yardage readout is above the reticle, so you have to hit the target then look up to see the yardage, and in that short millisecond you could move your hand and miss the target. it'd be nice to have the readout closer to the reticle. the thing appears to be built like a tank, and its small size is prefect. honestly, i love it already.

I just ordered a GX 1i2 for my son. It was only $159 on Jet.com and the order is fufilled by Edwin Watts. It's hard to believe such a top performing rangefinder can now be had at that price. 17 years ago I paid $300 for a much bulkier, inferior Nikon.

I much prefer the Leupold optics over the other name brand rangefinders(I've owned 2 Nikons and 3 Bushnells) and the speed at which they pick up the pin is better than Nikon and at least the equal of the best rangefinders from Bushnell.

Back