How long does it take you to adjust to new gear?

Learning distance gaps is one thing I agree may take some time, but what learning curve is there for wedges really? Shouldnt a 56° play like a 56° no matter how new or old it is?

I think there is some variance in terms of roll out, etc.

But I generally agree with you. Distance gaps with irons would be the last piece. Comfort with gaps would take a little while as well.

In general, though, you should be able to play pretty close to your game with new clubs.

I think there is some variance in terms of roll out, etc.

But I generally agree with you. Distance gaps with irons would be the last piece. Comfort with gaps would take a little while as well.

In general, though, you should be able to play pretty close to your game with new clubs.
I've always just found my distance with an 8i, what it was and what it is now. I just use that difference and apply it through the set.

If I like the club, no time at all. As in, I can play it after a couple swings.

If I don't like it, probably never or if I'm forced I'll figure a way to make it do something useable.

Learning distance gaps is one thing I agree may take some time, but what learning curve is there for wedges really? Shouldnt a 56° play like a 56° no matter how new or old it is?

In theory, but the U grind for example does act quite differently than some other wedges I've played. Distance and how it reacted on the green took some adjustment.

In theory, but the U grind for example does act quite differently than some other wedges I've played. Distance and how it reacted on the green took some adjustment.

The grinds may play a part. I guess, I know where I usually play so my wedges are pretty similar. I don't change much for bounce or grinds.

I don't buy a driver or fairway wood if I have to adjust to it. I'm only on my 5th set of irons in 35 years and until my XR Pro's a couple months ago, none of the other irons sets required any adjustment time. These XR's are a club or so longer so it took me about 5 rounds to adjust completely. Wedges may take 15 minutes of practice to adjust to if I've changed the bounce but I haven't changed bounce or grind in over 10 years. I do have a Mac Daddy PM grind 60 on the way so but I'm sure I can adjust to it with 30 minutes of practice.

If it's a club that takes a while for me to get used to, or put a good swing on the ball, it's probably not ever going to work for me.

it depends. there are times something just fits right in seamelessly, and there are times i struggle. i'm struggling mightily with wedges right now (new as of late 2014). initially, every shot was a problem. but with a little more practice time and some actual rounds, i'm getting more comfortable with chips, pitches and sand shots. but full swings and the dreaded 40-70y range are still really tough. contact all over the face, most of the time fat. i do have some time with my instructor scheduled to see what's going on, but i also don't know whether i'm just not getting along with the shafts.

Individual clubs should take very little time to develop a feel for them, but I believe you need at least a couple of rounds to determine total distance inclusive of rollout. Wedges with increased spin could affect total distance very much, as an example.

Irons would take a while as there could be differences in loft (launch angle), ball flight (L vs R), etc that you just can't pick up in one round. Especially with every new club increasing distance by 20 yards these days, according to the marketers.

Maybe a round for distances, but if the club is of similar distance, quick warn up on the range should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A couple hours for irons (provided they are the same class, players, gi, sgi, as the previous irons) a few swings for woods. When there is a change in bounce or grind of a wedge it will take a few range and short game sessions to dial in and understand what it does.

It will take a little longer to trust the new clubs though and trust is what leads to fearless swings.

2-3 swings for me. I can usually tell off the first swing whether I even like a club or not, and then another swing or two to get used to the feeling of the shaft/weight/etc.

For irons though, I will say it takes me a round or two to get my brain to adjust for any distance changes. I don't change irons very often, so it's usually quite the adjustment for me.

Fairly quick. Get the distance on probably two clubs or so, and the rest should fall into place for the most part.

And if I'm fit into the clubs I'd imagine it would be even quicker. I know I'd hit them as well or better than my current clubs which I've never been fit into. All I'd need is a quick distance or two, which probably wouldn't be THAT different from my current clubs, and I'd be good to go.

For me, wedges have always been the hardest to adjust to. The variations in bounce, weight, sweet spot location... they all have such an impact on trajectory, distance and spin. My buddy has the exact same Cleveland CG 60-degree wedge I have but they feel completely different; his also seems to carry further than mine.

Its always been pretty easy and quick for me. This last set of irons (which I love) took some additional time. I honestly believe it was swing related and then got into my head, but for the most part, its just a few swings.

JM

I think this can vary greatly by person. I'm not going to tell anyone how long it should take them to get to know a club.

For me though:
1. With a few swings I can tell if the club is comfortable for me.
2. I have a decent idea of distances and should be able to have a ballpark after the first extended range session.
3. Having said that I think I don't really know the club and what all I can do with it until a month to six weeks into playing it. By then I've seen how it responds to good shots, bad shots, attempts at shaping shots, good swing days, bad swing days and so on.

I have trouble aligning my current gamers (C100) and I have had them for several months now. I don't have trouble swinging them, just aiming them.

I like to think a quick range session gets me feeling comfortable with new equipment. The exception to this are wedges. For whatever reason it takes me a little longer to adjust to wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find that trusting the distance is the hardest part.

If the length of the clubs remain the same, pretty fast. I'd say a quick pre-round range session. I think the hardest part is getting the distances right, that will probably take a couple of rounds.

Back