Releasing the club

I read a lot of post about the releasing of the club. I hear of folks changing grips to get a more powerful release. I have a question, how powerful are you tuning down the club at impact? Are yoy mentally trying to release or turn down the club face at impact?

The release isn't meant to be hard or powerful. But a natural turning over of the forearms witch will turn those hands down. Manipulating the club is not a good idea. I understand that some feel it's needed but there are other ways to accomplish the release

Driving the swing with the lower body helps. A solid shoulder turn helps and a positive extention down the line. Just wanted to throw this out there.
I have to really think about releasing at/near impact. I've tried turning my wrists in such a way so that I don't have to be constantly thinking about releasing the club at impact, but it hasn't had an impact.

I have to really think about releasing at/near impact. I've tried turning my wrists in such a way so that I don't have to be constantly thinking about releasing the club at impact, but it hasn't had an impact.

If you're having to think about it, you're dead man walking. The golf swing happens so fast, there's no way to be consistent if you're trying to actively roll your wrists or throw your hands at it. The club is going to release right if your grip is sound and you're keeping your grip pressure relaxed. Focus on that and just let it happen.

I read a lot of post about the releasing of the club. I hear of folks changing grips to get a more powerful release. I have a question, how powerful are you tuning down the club at impact? Are yoy mentally trying to release or turn down the club face at impact?

The release isn't meant to be hard or powerful. But a natural turning over of the forearms witch will turn those hands down. Manipulating the club is not a good idea. I understand that some feel it's needed but there are other ways to accomplish the release

Driving the swing with the lower body helps. A solid shoulder turn helps and a positive extention down the line. Just wanted to throw this out there.
My instructor said to me to "try to cover the ball with the face of the club thru impact."
Is that similar to the bolded statement above?

If you're having to think about it, you're dead man walking. The golf swing happens so fast, there's no way to be consistent if you're trying to actively roll your wrists or throw your hands at it. The club is going to release right if your grip is sound and you're keeping your grip pressure relaxed. Focus on that and just let it happen.
As evidenced by all the balls left in the rough at LIITA. :alien:
When I don't think about it just let it happen, the swing turns into a cricket swing / tennis backhand swing.

As evidenced by all the balls left in the rough at LIITA. :alien:
When I don't think about it just let it happen, the swing turns into a cricket swing / tennis backhand swing.

I'd recommend posting a video for Freddie to take a look at then friend. Face On, Down The Line, and then maybe a photo of just your grip.

Also helpful, but also really kinda awkward, shoot one from directly behind you. It's not so Freddie gets a free view of your backside, but more to see how your body is set up angle wise. You could have a couple funky positions that are fighting your ability to turn.

I'd recommend posting a video for Freddie to take a look at then friend. Face On, Down The Line, and then maybe a photo of just your grip.

Also helpful, but also really kinda awkward, shoot one from directly behind you. It's not so Freddie gets a free view of your backside, but more to see how your body is set up angle wise. You could have a couple funky positions that are fighting your ability to turn.
Good call. I'll update my thread here shortly.

In order to complete a golf swing with your arms wrapped around your shoulders, you have to release. It's around natural motion as your arms swing down to the ball and continue to move up and left. The right arm rotates by itself.

Take your setup postion with no club. First move the right arm from the center of your body to your right hip. There should be some flex in the right elbow and your thumb pointing to the sky. The palm.should have rotated from facing the target to facing away from your body. It does this naturally.

Now move the right arm back to center and then to the left hip. The palm of the hand is facing the target as the arm reaches the middle of your body. Then the back of the hand facing away from the body. The right arm will naturally rotate from one side of the body to the other. The left arm will mirror the right. They should work together in the golf swing.

Don't think about it, let it happen. Make sure your grip is correct and the proper tension. Too tight and you won't be able to swing the club and will have to force the issue.

My instructor said to me to "try to cover the ball with the face of the club thru impact."
Is that similar to the bolded statement above?
Yes, the toe of the club is tuning down just after impact. If it turns too early you'll pull the ball. If it turns to late, youll push the ball. The key is to be square to your target line at impact. But the club continues to turn down. It all happens in a fraction of a second.

In order to complete a golf swing with your arms wrapped around your shoulders, you have to release. It's around natural motion as your arms swing down to the ball and continue to move up and left. The right arm rotates by itself.

Take your setup postion with no club. First move the right arm from the center of your body to your right hip. There should be some flex in the right elbow and your thumb pointing to the sky. The palm.should have rotated from facing the target to facing away from your body. It does this naturally.

Now move the right arm back to center and then to the left hip. The palm of the hand is facing the target as the arm reaches the middle of your body. Then the back of the hand facing away from the body. The right arm will naturally rotate from one side of the body to the other. The left arm will mirror the right. They should work together in the golf swing.

Don't think about it, let it happen. Make sure your grip is correct and the proper tension. Too tight and you won't be able to swing the club and will have to force the issue.
I'll try this when I next get to the range... Who am I kidding. It will probably happen in the next five minutes. Thanks for the thoughts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If I try to release the club mechanically, bad things ( particularly hooks) happen.

Releasing the club

Freddie, what are your thoughts on a Zach Johnson type "body release" where he seems to have an aggressive body turn through the shot with a strong grip? I have heard that it creates a longer, shallower low point and by keeping the club face pointing down the target line longer, possibly more accurate, as opposed to a more "wristy, forearm crossing" release?

I just let everything else in my swing take care of the "release". I don't really release the club so much as I just let the momentum of the club head release itself. Hips fire and create tension in the shoulders, shoulders start to pull through, and the clubhead just follows. If you get yourself into the proper impact position, then a little law of physics called the coefficient of angular momentum will take care of the rest. It's 1,000 times easier to get your body into the same position every time than it is to turn your hands over consciously at the exact perfect moment on every single swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might be 30'plus years in the making. But this past Friday I finally felt like my lower body was leading the whole show and releasing the club ( my center or chi). Not a big lunge with the legs but more of a turning out of the way than my hands followed. Was a pretty cool feeling, and nothing I forced but it just kinda happened.

Back