The Golf Station, Hurst, TX: Pkielwa's shaft fitting

Pkielwa

Reaction score
This past week, I was in Dallas a couple of days for work so I decided to look-up locations where I could get a fitting done to see if I could maximize my Z545 irons and driver. I found numerous locations like Cool Clubs, etc, but I found one on Nippon's site listed as a Regio Shaft fitting location, which there were only two of these such locations in the DFW area. Since I was primarily looking at trying the different Nippon shafts, I decided to call these guys at The Golf Station.

I talked to Tim Brantley, the owner of The Golf Station, for quite some time! He had spent numerous years on the Nationwide Tour and was completely certified to do fittings, teach lessons (Golf Machine among other certs), he had all kinds of shafts for irons and drivers, the only Scotty Cameron Studio of putters in the DFW area (he has ALL OF THEM- if you want to try a Scotty, go here), indoor computer simulator and shot tracking, etc., etc., etc. Once we talked a while, I set-up my appointment.

I arrived early enough to get warmed-up and take a look around the place. One thing that stood out, besides the fitting area, and ALL of the Scotty putters, was where they build/repair clubs. Wow. Neal Blanchard, who does all of the builds/repairs, really knows his stuff! Top quality building room with everything you can imagine to get your club perfectly fit to you. Unreal. I had just come-off of the road after a 4 1/2 hour drive, so I warmed-up and stretched in an extra area with a net and mat inside as Tim was finishing up another fitting or lesson.

Once finished, Tim came over and introduced himself and we went into the fitting room. Pretty cool stuff. Every kind of driver and iron shaft you could imagine, a great simulator, and plenty of different heads to try. Since he didn't have a Srixon cart, we did our fitting using Miura iron heads and an Epon driver head. This should tell you guys interested in products from Japan, The Golf Station has it... Tim and I talked about my swing, where I was in my process of building it, what issues I have, what my misses were, etc, while I warmed-up with my clubs, giving him a baseline from which to work.

First was the irons. When Tim and I talked on the phone, I was pretty interested in getting a chance to try the Pro Modus3 120 X shafts, so we tried these first. We didn't need to go any further! Spin came down, shot height max was lowered, distance was equal if not a tad longer, and my favorite part of all, shot dispersion was tightened up significantly. The feel of those shafts was amazing. I was done here. These were the shafts. I asked Tim if I should try anything else, like graphite, etc. He asked a few questions about why I was wondering, and I told him I didn't want to rule anything out. He showed my my numbers and dispersion again and he asked me what I thought would improve... He was right. Done.

At this point, I asked him if I ought to look into the Miura irons I was hitting as well. He stopped for a second and said one thing that stuck-out more than anything else that day: "I'm not here to change your clubs. Your Srixon's are great clubs. I'm not going to say buy Miura just to sell you a set of irons. If I were you, I'd stay with the Srixons and just change to the Modus shafts." Awesome. He wasn't in the fitting to sell me a whole new set. He was totally focused on what I told him I wanted: maximize what I have.

Next we went to the driver. I wasn't really sure if there was going to be a way to improve on my distance and spin numbers as when I hit the driver at the Srixon demo day, my carry, launch, and spin numbers were sick. All I wanted to do was see if I could keep similar numbers, but improve on my dispersion. We tried the Graphite Design BB-6, the VTS Black Tour SPX, Accra Tour Z, and Motore Speeder 757. He told me he picked all of these shafts as they have similar bend profiles. I hit a bunch with each shaft and it came down to the BB-6 and the Speeder both in X flex. Overall, the 757 did reduce my dispersion compared to the Kuro Kage TiNi I play and kept me with almost identical numbers in distance, ball speed, spin, etc.

So, that was it. We finished-up talking about some options I might think about with my wedges, visited some more about his JDM stuff and his Scotty studio, ability to do ball fittings, lessons, etc, and I was done. It was well worth my time to drive past my hotel and stop at The Golf Station.

Tim is really interested in meeting some more THP guys in the DFW area, so if you happen to go and take a look, let him know you're a THP'er! I told him about the East Texas Masters and all of the DFW guys and how they're always looking to play somewhere on the weekends. If you're looking for a lesson, to get fit, even do a ball fitting, for a great club builder, or just somewhere to stop-in and have quality "gear-head" conversations, this is the place to do it. Give The Golf Station a look. I was thoroughly impressed enough to have sent my irons to him yesterday to get the Nippons put in. He's not going to just put the shafts in, he's going to weigh all the heads and shafts before they're put together so that all of the weights match-up appropriately... You can get res-shafts done a bunch of places, but I've never had one do this for me as a normal part of a build. The Golf Station, Hurst, TX. Pretty cool place.

I'll post some pics I took of the place via Tapatalk.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433623176.401672.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433623189.598088.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433623201.436275.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433623216.703138.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433623228.904227.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433623241.872192.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433623254.539401.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433623265.305476.jpg

Last edited:
Great review Paul, he definitely sounds like he knows his stuff.

Will keep this in mind when/if I need someone to really help dial me into something.

Good review of the place and process..thanks for sharing!

Sounds like he knows his stuff. AND has JDM gear! Haha I need a place like that near me. Or maybe I don't lol

Great to hear THIS was the right place for you Paul. Never heard of them until you asked about them. Will definitely give them a look next time I'm in the market for a new setup.

Paul, great to hear! I've been lucky enough to know Tim for about 3 years now and I've been blown away by his and Neal's knowledge. I'm sorry I missed meeting you, but I'm currently in the Air Force and stationed in Washington, DC, until next month when my family and I move to Hawaii for one final move before retirement. Then it's off to DFW and work at the Golf Station full time; right now I help where I can and its been amazing!

The guys are fanatical about getting things right. For my first set of clubs, Tim called me and told me one of the heads was off a few grams and he wasn't happy about it. When Tim and Neal say they treat each set like it was their own they mean it.

Paul, that set of Yonex in plastic with the weights written are coming home to me with the Nippons. You're going to be VERY happy with them! I'm switching over from TourSPX Recoils; I liked them a lot, but when I asked Tim if there was something better, it was the Nippons without hesitation.

Tim can get just about anything and his knowledge of JDM is vast after having been with Miura as a staff player and now as a staff consultant. If there's anything you need answered feel free to hit me up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back