How Much Can Humidity Affect Yardages

darnall

Reaction score
Handicap
I played a round with Daddio Saturday. Worst humidity I have seen so far this year. As bad as what I experienced in Florida in August after a rain shower last year. The air was so thick I think we could have rowed a boat in it.

I hit several drives and approaches that felt flushed but came up way shorter than normal. Especially short irons. The ascent trajectory looked normal, but the bottom would fall out of it as the ball neared peak trajectory and would come up easily 8-12 yards shay of where it should have.

So my question is... how much distance loss have any of you guys experienced from excessive humidity? Is it feasible to see an entire club worth of loss or was there more going on with my game that I realized this weekend?

According to Titleist:

Myth: Golf balls lose distance in humid air.
This is another one that is easy to believe because it agrees with our common sense. Humid air feels heavy, and therefore the ball should have a tougher time punching through it. But in truth, humid air is actually lighter than dry air, and the ball will actually fly farther. Strike three. But don't bother seeking out muggy days to do a John Daly impression, because the advantage is truly minuscule. The best one could hope for would be a gain of about 18 inches.

I played a round with Daddio Saturday. Worst humidity I have seen so far this year. As bad as what I experienced in Florida in August after a rain shower last year. The air was so thick I think we could have rowed a boat in it.

I hit several drives and approaches that felt flushed but came up way shorter than normal. Especially short irons. The ascent trajectory looked normal, but the bottom would fall out of it as the ball neared peak trajectory and would come up easily 8-12 yards shay of where it should have.

So my question is... how much distance loss have any of you guys experienced from excessive humidity? Is it feasible to see an entire club worth of loss or was there more going on with my game that I realized this weekend?
Technically speaking the ball should go further the higher the humidity not shorter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The loss of distance was likely due more to muscle fatigue fro the humidity.

I have played down here in Florida and up north in Connecticut. For me personally I didn't really see a difference in distance but if i had to give the edge to one, it would go down here in FL. I don't know, I just play better down here.

I feel like the ball travels further when the air gets dryer.
I played yesterday, the air has been more dry these days & I hit 4 balls over the green which all should've come up short!

I would like to gain 18".

I never looked at it like that. Makes sense though.

I play in probably one of the hottest and most humid climates in the US. I generally gain about a half a club in the extreme temperatures and humidity over 70 - 80 degrees and normal levels of humidity. Where I lose noticeable distance is when the temps drop below 65 and the humidity is low.

According to Titleist:

^^^Scientific fact

^^^More than likely the reason why some people lose distance on humid days.

I know that hot humid days kick me in the backside pretty quickly since I'm not used to them anymore, but it's when the mercury plummets that my distances do also. Especially when there's a cold wind blowing up off the bay, knocks a ball down like nothing I've ever seen.

I play in probably one of the hottest and most humid climates in the US. I generally gain about a half a club in the extreme temperatures and humidity over 70 - 80 degrees and normal levels of humidity. Where I lose noticeable distance is when the temps drop below 65 and the humidity is low.

I've never paid attention to this. It's something I'll pay attention to this year. Playing regularly in 100% humidity I'll have plenty of chances.

I would like to gain 18".

That's a little more info than any of us really cared to know..............but fwiw, good luck with that!:D

JK "Blu" :)

But as for the topic, its cold temps that are most detrimental and easily observable. I don't mean 70 vs 80 but when its in the 50's and also 40's I think anyone notices big distance changes. I cant really notice humidity differences.

No scientist but here goes a small science fact. Humid air is lighter (less dense). The air simply contains a little more water vapor and less oxygen and nitrogen. Water vapor (H20) is lighter than both of those and therefore the air is less dense. This is also why it can feel very heavy and also be difficult to breathe in very humid environment. Simply put, there is less oxygen and it creates a false sense of the air being heavy (from feeling of sort of slight suffocation) but its really lighter.

Anyway, with less dense air the ball simply meets less resistance so that is the physics behind the ball traveling a touch further. However since there is less air there is technically also less affect via the balls dimple pattern. The ball should technically not create as much lift and likewise also not hook or slice quite as much either. Being its easier to travel through the air with less resistance, that part is more dominant than the negative affect from any lift loss and its also traveling a tiny tad straighter which also helps distance too. But supposedly we are talking amounts not really measurable enough to show any significant and practical result. Unlike cold temps and/or also significantly low pressure both of which have a much more real and practical, measurable affect. So there we have it :) .......or not :( ....... but yea :) that's it.

Also, as mentioned fatigue does set in whether you feel it or not. Less O2 for even couple several hours while performing physical task makes for less strength even if your well hydrated. Mix that with not keeping yourself hydrated and your asking for big trouble. Hours o hot & humid golf? Drink much more water than you think you even want my friends. Remember, when your thirsty your already behind.

Last edited:
I have played down here in Florida and up north in Connecticut. For me personally I didn't really see a difference in distance but if i had to give the edge to one, it would go down here in FL. I don't know, I just play better down here.

Being further from the earths rotation pole your technically moving faster down south so your ball is just hanging a tad longer as the earth rotates under it faster than in CT :)
No but really your clock is actually slower on the atomic scale. So it just takes you longer to walk to your ball :)
Boy, talk about pace issues.

I remember watching Atlanta Braves games where the announcers said that the baseball carried farther on humid summer days and I've always treated that as truth.

I remember watching Atlanta Braves games where the announcers said that the baseball carried farther on humid summer days and I've always treated that as truth.
Nothing more American than professional baseball on a hot summer day. Love it

A big reason we hit it shorter in Florida is the soft Bermuda turf. I lose 10-20 yards of roll down there.

Nothing like watching the ball fly on a warm summer day at altitude.

Agreed. Recent rain = humid air & soft turf and less roll. I know on some hot, humid days here in Ohio when there's little wind the ball seems to carry forever, especially off mid irons hit right, that fly high and just go...

But when it is like 58 - 62 F and >90% humidity (as in almost a light mist) it is brutal. I've noticed loss of about a half club in carry distance over a dry day in the same temp range. The water will collect on the ball in the air and knock it down. Hot dry or humid days in the mid-80s, I'm hitting my long drives.

Last summer it was 90 outside and I bombed a 260 yd drive which is very long for me. 481 yd par 5 from the tee to green. I had 217 left, and ended up with a par.

Man...I would have never believed that thick humid air would have no effect on distance loss. I sure am glad to be part of a community that is so good at correcting wrong assumptions.....you guys rock.

I guess the next time I get out on a humid day I need to eat a can of spinach Popeye style when I make the turn.

I think the biggest factor is that most of the places that are humid year round tend to be closer to sea level. Elevation and temperature are far bigger factors in determining how much farther or shorter a particular shot will go.

I think the biggest factor is that most of the places that are humid year round tend to be closer to sea level. Elevation and temperature are far bigger factors in determining how much farther or shorter a particular shot will go.

I agree. When I'm high and running a slight fever I can hit really long:D

Back