Callaway XR Hybrid Review

Golfsmith is apparently doing 50% bonus trade-in credit with purchase of something in the XR line tomorrow in case anyone is interested.

Golfsmith is apparently doing 50% bonus trade-in credit with purchase of something in the XR line tomorrow in case anyone is interested.
I wish we had a store nearby. Sad.

Yes, they are. I was going to sell my Flex 3h but think I may trade it in for the 5h as the trade in bonus value will be the same as the used sale price.

callaway-xr-event2.jpg

I love this thing, as confident as I was with my Bio hybos last summer (many know how much that was) this is a notch up from that.

Shot of the day was with this one, 2nd shot into a par 5, 217 green fronted by water and I hit a towering ball from the fairway to here:
11db848a7fc34811e30f59c3d8711e47.jpg

Freaking love it.

Favorite. Hybrid. Ever.

I said it, and I'll own it.

Holy hell this little sucker is a launcher and it just wants to go long, high, and straight for me. The 6hy needs to happen so I can drop my 5i. I really think it does.

Love my 6Hybrid. Best club swap (iron to hybrid) choice I've made all year.

I've only had the 4 hybrid in play for one round but enjoyed what I saw. Looks FANTASTIC at address and pretty darn easy to hit. Need to make sure I'm not launching the PXLZ too high but that'll come with time. 6 hybrid will be here tomorrow and 5 hybrid should arrive at the pro shop either Saturday or Monday. Need to pick up a 3h and I'll then be set me thinks. :)

Well, I have a few of these. I bought the X2 Hots this past Christmas during CPO's bogo. I foolishly sold them. I had a brief period with the XCG7 hybrids. Good hybrids, but really preferred the shape of my old Callaways. I bought an XR 3 hybrid. Looked even better that the X2 Hot. I proceeded to by the, 4h, 5h, and 6h!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their insights. I really appreciate it. This is my first post but I've been reading the forum for months. I'm working hard to become a better player and reduced my index from 18 to 13 over the last 6 months. My original clubs were a TM R7XD set from Costco. They were always good enough...until this spring. I tested the XR driver at Golf Galaxy and couldn't believe the difference. Needless to say, it changed my opinion about equipment upgrades. I now have a XR driver (12 degree) and couldn't be happier. My next purchase was TM SLDR 3HL (17 degree), TM 3H (19 degree) and TM 4H (24 degree w/ adjustment). The TM clubs are great when struck pure but the sweet spot seems really small. As an example; yardage variance for the 3HL ranges from 260 for good contact to 160 of spin (borderline slice) for a slight over the top swing.

Sorry for the preamble...just wanted to provide a little background. I'm thinking about replacing the three TM clubs listed above with the XR 4FW, 3H and 4H. Based on your reviews and my driver experience; I'll be visiting GG for testing in the next 2 weeks. I'm curious to know if XR hybrid face shows a lot of wear. This might seem like a silly question but the SLDR hybrids score a C- in this area. I take very good care of my equipment and expected more from TM in terms of durability.

Thanks again for the input.

Hey Vortex, welcome to THP and we are glad you decided to jump on in!

My 5hy has worn just fine, no excess wear on the face and i have been hitting it a LOT.

Looking forward to what you think when you get to hit them, please be sure to post up how it goes!

XR 6h fun on a par 3:

40b6af1dc443f2e8d507379f9be8e703.jpg

I want that club dammit.

I want that club dammit.

It's silly fun. I'm seeing about five more yards carry as compared to my typical six iron so that's a good thing as long as I can gap it out okay.

And having the four and five also in the bag, just so damn good for me and so much smarter than me trying to game a four and five iron like I was doing previously.

It's silly fun. I'm seeing about five more yards carry as compared to my typical six iron so that's a good thing as long as I can gap it out okay.

And having the four and five also in the bag, just so damn good for me and so much smarter than me trying to game a four and five iron like I was doing previously.
Yeah, that's why I want a 6hy to replace my 5i. Crazy distance.

I tested the XR hybrids and fairway woods at Golf Galaxy today. My original plan called for the addition of a 4FW, 3H and 4H. However, everything was subject to change until I had more experience with these clubs. A knowledgable GG employee set me up in a bay and said he would check back every so often. I started with a 3 hybrid and was ready to buy after one swing. I use fact as the primary source for purchase decisions instead of emotion but the answer was obvious after 20 more swings. Simulator yardage reflected a consistent 200, +/- ~7. The yardage was so consistent that I seriously wondered if their software "doctors" the results to help sell clubs. I hooked one for fun and the simulator picked up the correct flight. Just wanted to see if the software would produce a different line.

I brought my SLDR hybrids into the store and switched back and forth with the XR. The SLDRs returned to the bag after 4 or 5 swings. Again, the difference between these clubs is too big to ignore.

The first FW swing wasn't quiet like the hybrid but I was hitting around 225 yards off the deck after a few swings. I thought GG gave me a 4FW to test but it was a 3. In the end, I bought a 3H and 3 FW. We cut 1" off the shaft on the 3 FW (43"). I asked about going to 42.5" and GG recommended 43". This minor adjustment made it easier to hit off the deck. No problem hitting off a tee with either length.

How many players use more than one hybrid? I used a 3 and 4 hybrid for the last two seasons. For me, the 3H slots in between a 5 FW and 3I. The 4H slots in between a 3I and 4I. Do others agree with this thought? Trying to decide if I should buy a 4H or a 4I. My gut says 4H because it's easier to hit and the result is more consistent. The GG employee said 3H & 4H are too close. He said choking down on a 3H equals a 4H. Agree or disagree? For those using two hybrids, what is the yardage gap between them?

Thanks.

I'm loving these things. I ordered a 4h and 5h after a demo day at my home course. I went to the demo looking to replace my mashie 3h which had been a complete hook machine lately and always gave me gapping issues between my 5i. Still have the 5i in the bag and the gaps are much better. I was expected to love the bb hybo but I hit these soooo much better. Fantastic clubs.

This is the one hybrid on the market that really intrigues me this year. The shape really reminds me of the old Diablo Edge hybrid, which I contend is still the best hybrid I've owned from Callaway (and I've owned a lot of them). If it is that easy to hit, that versatile and longer, then hmmmmmmmmmmm.

This is the one hybrid on the market that really intrigooues me this year. The shape really reminds me of the old Diablo Edge hybrid, which I contend is still the best hybrid I've owned from Callaway (and I've owned a lot of them). If it is that easy to hit, that versatile and longer, then hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Pick one up and let me know how it plays ?

HHaha I just hit the XR 18* the number I was seeing had to be totally inflated. No way I hit that thing that far.

How many players use more than one hybrid? I used a 3 and 4 hybrid for the last two seasons. For me, the 3H slots in between a 5 FW and 3I. The 4H slots in between a 3I and 4I. Do others agree with this thought? Trying to decide if I should buy a 4H or a 4I. My gut says 4H because it's easier to hit and the result is more consistent. The GG employee said 3H & 4H are too close. He said choking down on a 3H equals a 4H. Agree or disagree? For those using two hybrids, what is the yardage gap between them?

Thanks.

That seems like odd advice. I've only had mine a short time but I think the gaps will be fine. I've played multiple hybrids in the past without issue. I think cookie and jman both have a couple of these in the bag as well.

HHaha I just hit the XR 18* the number I was seeing had to be totally inflated. No way I hit that thing that far.

They're lethal brother.

That seems like odd advice. I've only had mine a short time but I think the gaps will be fine. I've played multiple hybrids in the past without issue. I think cookie and jman both have a couple of these in the bag as well.

Completely agree with you Centre. I used the 3H on the course today for the first time and this club met/exceeded expectations. A 4H will be acquired before my next round on Sunday.

Thanks.

I play 4 hybrids. I can hit hybrids WAY easier than I can irons. My irons don't even start until 7i. It all depends on what you like to hit, how your clubs will gap out, and how you like to flight the ball. There's no one set way you need to arrange your bag other than do what makes you feel best.

Great day with these clubs. Saved me big time on a couple holes after bad tee shots. So glad I added these to the bag.

Another good day. I'm kind of wishing they made a 6h. I don't dislike my 5i but I think I'd like that more.

Back