Are you an early AM crack of dawn type of player?

I love playing early...leaves my day to hang out with the family. Only downside is you typically can't get much of a discount on the weekend

I really love playing early, but it does affect my scores. It's kind of counterintuitive. I have more fun early in the morning, but I shoot better when I tee off between noon and 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to play 9 after work during the week so I'm usually one of the last off the tee anywhere between 5:30-6:30pm. On the weekends, if I know I'll be busy I'll try to sneak off to the course for 7-7:30am and play at least 9. If the course is still slow I'll play another 9. I like the late afternoon rounds when I have the chance of being the last one out. It gives me time to play different shots and take a few extra putts on each green with nobody pushing behind me.

I like to play late in the afternoon around 4 . I don't mind the heat and usually there aren't a lot of people out at that time so I can walk in the 95 degree heat with 50% humidity. Plus I hate being out there early and the grass being wet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes - for me, the earlier, the better. For work I'm usually up and at 'em at 0400 anyway, so teeing off at 0600 is sleeping in. I love the crisp, cool air. It also means that I'm home by lunch which makes it easier on the family. That said, I hate the moisture - dew, wet bunkers, etc. So, while I prefer playing in the morning, I usually actually like the drier course conditions and score better in the afternoon. Weird, I know...

I enjoy early and late rounds. Something therapeutic about being on the course as the sun comes up, as well as when the sun starts down towards the horizon, later. Creates amazing views and shadowing on the course.

I enjoy early and late rounds. Something therapeutic about being on the course as the sun comes up, as well as when the sun starts down towards the horizon, later. Creates amazing views and shadowing on the course.
I like the late rounds too. I agree those are both the times when it just feels good to be out in nature.

I find it strange how some (like me) love the "dawn" while others feel great at "dusk". I mean its like two opposite things all togethr different. One is the fresh start of a new day and the other is .....well......basically its end. Just kind of strange is all.

I was on the tee box at 5:37 AM today. Finished up the round by 8:15 and got to work on time (granted, I work from home quite a bit so it's an easy post-golf commute). Not a bad way to start the day.

Thought to resurface this from last year because since then I've played many more and probably most afternoon and late rounds mostly due to work and obligations. However I did manage a couple recent early am rounds and have to say I remembered why I like them so much. Cooler, fresh morning air, getting home with the whole day still to come. Just still something peaceful about being up and about early am (especially in a bit of nature like a golf course) while the sun is only starting to climb up. And now especially its been hot so early morns are a relief.

I still love the early morning rounds and try to get them in when I can. Being the first or close to first out is peaceful and relaxing not to mention the greens are in better shape.

I love early morning rounds, especially in the summer. You're off the course before the temps hit triple digits and the course is in the best shape it'll be in all day. And you have the rest of the day to do whatever you need to do.

I still love the early morning rounds and try to get them in when I can. Being the first or close to first out is peaceful and relaxing not to mention the greens are in better shape.

greens? well.....sometimes. But morning dew can be a bit of a pain sometimes. And so can the changing conditions as it begins to dry and change. Than some dry faster thaan others and it can change from hole to hole. Not saying these are huge issues but just that it does have its disadvantages too. But the peaceful and relaxing? I agree and helps tempo and the mindset imo.

Playing as first one off in the morning is something I definitely miss. Being there at sunrise, still having the dew on the grass, nothing more beautiful. Playing in the mid late/day just doesn't come close to comparing.

i like to go to the range at 7am, its quite, calm and cool.
i like to go back to the course and play in the afternoon, when its hot though!

Love early rounds, but not waking up early haha. Tee time tomorrow at 5:58 am

I never was until the last few months. My buddy likes to get out super early and I have come to see the value of it during the summer since I have a house on a lake. It's nice to be back at the house and out on the boat by 10ish and have the entire day to enjoy after a great round of golf!

Wednesday had an 11AM conference call so I teed off @ 6:30AM as a single. Walked 18 and finished @ 9:10AM. Was a really nice morning. Only thing is I think if I slow down a bit, I'll score better. With nobody in-front, it's too easy to get fast on the round.

A friend of mine and I try to beat the ground crew out (between 6:30 and 7:00 am) onto the course a couple of times a week any time there is no threat of a frost advisory. It's before the club opens but they don't seem to mind and we try to be as unobtrusive as possible. This is my second year of doing it.

Last edited:
I love getting the first tee time of the day and that's are plan when we are a golf vacation. I'm sure most of my golf in after I retire will be first thing in the morning which will put me on my boat by 10:30 am.

Used to love teeing off at 5:15 to 5:30ish.Infact it is one of the tougher tee times to get at our courses.If all goes well I can be done by 8ish.Really dreaded playing behind choppers mid morning and taking five to six hour rounds.These early rounds avoid that train wreck

Our group tees off around 7 am. We avoid the midday heat and get home by 10:30, just in time for a pre-lunch nap. LOL

I was out at 6:30 this morning and loved it. It's quiet, typically quicker (except for this morning) and cooler. Golf seems a little more peaceful at that time of the day.

Back