best budget irons for beginner/internediate golfer.

TheDb3

Reaction score
Handicap
Can anyone recommend me some budget irons around 300 or less. I dont mind if there used. Recently I made the rookie mistake of leaving my pw on the course. On top of that i had a mismatch set that was missing a 9 iron. As ive been playing alot lately it is time to get a respectable set. I intend on playing alot but dont want to leap into a high end set quite yet. Ive built a good beginner set I can grow with now I just need irons. Thanks.

About me to help recommendations. Improving fast but a second hear golfer. To inconsistent to have a handicap but my best round of the year was 111. I am 6"4 with long arms and was fitted for a set lengthof 38 or 38.5 6 iron. I am not sure my swing speed it is prob avg for a beginner but when my mechanics are better tuned prob generate decent speed. Strong hips and former baseball player. Other than that I just need a budget set i can grow with next few years and finally learn this great game.

I started a year ago and went with the Taylormade Rocketbladez and felt like they were a nice set of irons. Keep in mind at 6'4" you will most likely benefit from a little shaft extension on a set off the shelf, I'm also 6'4" and used 1/2" over standard on the Rocketbladez. Also being a bigger man I found that using midsize grips really helped me vs stock size.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Burner 2.0, Xhot, or Amp Cell lines. All can be had for crazy cheap right now.

Ping i20s, Cobra Amp Cell, Wilosn...check sites like callaway pre-owned, global golf, market place here.

I got my x2hots for <250 on Callaway preowned. Good set for a new to more experienced golfer.

Cobra: Amp Cell, Bio Cell or Baffler XL
Callaway: XHot
Nike: VRS, VRS XS

I would say look at some of these, great blends of price and performance, and all pretty forgiving. They can all be had for under $300 easy.

Burner 2.0s. Loved my time with them.

TaylorMade speedblade. Can be had for under 300 easily

Wilson Staff Ci Chrome from tgw.com. You should be able to get them new for ~$200 shipped.

Wilson Staff Di11.. Cleveland Altitude as well.

I would look on eBay for past years models of taylormades in the game improvement category. They update their line up so frequently you can get new or mint irons (ie speed/rocket blades, burners, etc) for around your budget. 3balls, rock bottom, are good 2nd swing is OK too if you search by user.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

In the end they have to make you happy. But those are very nice irons and for the price thats a good deal. I have played W/S woods but not irons so i cant comment to much on these, But i did love the woods I played for awhile.

Can anyone recommend me some budget irons around 300 or less. I dont mind if there used. Recently I made the rookie mistake of leaving my pw on the course. On top of that i had a mismatch set that was missing a 9 iron. As ive been playing alot lately it is time to get a respectable set. I intend on playing alot but dont want to leap into a high end set quite yet. Ive built a good beginner set I can grow with now I just need irons. Thanks.

About me to help recommendations. Improving fast but a second hear golfer. To inconsistent to have a handicap but my best round of the year was 111. I am 6"4 with long arms and was fitted for a set lengthof 38 or 38.5 6 iron. I am not sure my swing speed it is prob avg for a beginner but when my mechanics are better tuned prob generate decent speed. Strong hips and former baseball player. Other than that I just need a budget set i can grow with next few years and finally learn this great game.

you were fitted and its strange swing speed was not recognized in the fitting or a least a recommendation for shaft flex (which is not necessarily based on swing speed alone)
But fwiw, I have a great idea. Something many avid players (and yes even good ones) often do. You can go with knock off clubs. Not to be confused with fakes. Places like "pinemeadow" and "diamondtour" as well as one or two others are very reputable. They all have their own similar versions of the top clubs, you can pick all your fitted lengths, lies, grips, shafts etc...

These clubs are no jokes and many would argue hit as well as the top brand they are imitating. I played a knock off set of "Nike Slingshot irons" custom ordered and used them for well over 10 years until about 2 years ago and even then I've had plenty folks take swings with those irons and were pleasantly surprised. I don't hit my new grand name clubs any further (with exception of the newer loft angles).

The whole point is you can basically have a great set of irons and/or woods for a fraction of the price. I also had a knockoff driver (Cleveland launcher I think) and let me tell ya, when I went on a mission for new clubs I was this close to keeping that old knockoff were it not for but "only one" of many new drivers that proved any better for me in the sims. Were it not for unexpected money I came across 2 years ago and a great timing with a sale I would have still been playing all those knock offs or would have opted to purchase new knockoffs instead of the name brand I now have.

Bottom line, if you want some very good clubs and can custom order what/how you want, and will last for years, imo its a very good option. Plus they are yours from brand new. On occasion I have ran into others with such clubs and also have had them for years and also very happy with them. In the future I would have no issue going that route again. as said I almost went with them again last time were it not for some luck. Some people wont agree but others will swear by them and others just cant get past their own ego lol. . I find it funny how some will buy a set of unfitted latest brand model off the shelf and yet for a fraction of the price can have a custom fit (provided you have the info) really good set of clubs. Even if one has no fitting info they can just order the standard sets too. Either way a good option. Sorry to ramble but your situation you imply for (something to get better with and without spedning a small fortune) just might be a good one for such clubs. Heck, many people play them regardless.

First of all i am floored by this forum. Ive been on many and this is the most professional and genuine responses ive ever recieved. Back to golf to clear things up I said it wrong I wasnt fitted more so was measured and given advice. Also I am leaning towards those wilsons but that diamondtour thing is intriguing. If I was going for any clubs no price range I would get callaway xrs
. On the site i can customize the replica ones for barely over 100 bucks. I understand the inflation of branding price but can they really be comparable quality? Can anyone else weigh in.

Personally I will not support knock off brands, I WILL support the brand that pays for all the R&D and spends the time and money to put out a quality product. My personal opinion is I would rather spend a bit extra and know I have quality clubs and that I am supporting the brands that put the time and money into the development of the clubs, not just copy some ones else's design and pass it off as their own. And for the budget you said, you are 100% able to buy a quality product and support a quality company, not a knock off. Just my opinion.

I've had the Taylormade Burner 2.0s for the past few years, and they have served me well. I just bought some new irons, but I'd recommend them as others have.

check out Adams clubs also

Personally I will not support knock off brands, I WILL support the brand that pays for all the R&D and spends the time and money to put out a quality product. My personal opinion is I would rather spend a bit extra and know I have quality clubs and that I am supporting the brands that put the time and money into the development of the clubs, not just copy some ones else's design and pass it off as their own. And for the budget you said, you are 100% able to buy a quality product and support a quality company, not a knock off. Just my opinion.

well, we are all entitled to our opinions :)
What one is also paying for with name brands is enormous amounts of money on pro sponsorships, marketing and advertisements. One might even argue they spend more on that than on R&D.

As for the quality, there have been many tests and comparisons done and the argument has always been a good one. At least the last time I read several of them 2 seasons ago when I was considering doing it again. . The fact that its even tested and compared and still existing after so many years says something imo about quality. And they don't claim to be exactly identical in design as for shape and looks, the clubs do have some subtle differences. Not necessarily in quality imo but in looks.

And who (manufacturer wise) is so loyal to us anyway? Companies born and home in the us and yet make products in different countries to only in turn then sell them back in the us anyway. They don't feel guilty about imo selling out so imo why should we feel guilty for going with the knockoffs? Even the brand names tend to steel each other ideas when a product does very well and than comes out with their own versions. Why is that any different? To each his own :) and you have a right to feel how you want but I would disagree with some of the reasoning's you mention.

The brands that are loyal to us? I could list quite a few thy support the golfer and THP year in and year out. But that is for another thread. I will support the brands that are the ones putting the money into the R&D and not the knock offs. That is my opinion and I will leave it at that.

Ping G series.

TaylorMade speedblade. Can be had for under 300 easily

+1 on the Speedblades...I got a set off ebay 5-PW for less than $225 shipped and they were brand new...I love them so much I bought the AW and the SW to go with them

I give a solid vote for Taylormade Burner 2.0's. Seriously a great club and can be had in your price range pretty easy.

As far a knock offs, why bother. You can get a name brand set of clubs for the same amount of money, although they might have some use. Big deal. At the end of the day, if you lose one, you can pick another up very easily and have a match. If you decide to upgrade in the future, you will get a lot more of your money back out of a set of name brand clubs to spend on the new ones.

Back