ever feel like your round wasnt good but you still finished with a good score?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
That happened to me today. Nothing worked really well today. That actually bothered me a bit because my iron play has been great lately but came back down to earth today a little. But while nothing was to brag about today, nothing was all that very bad. I didn't feel like I accomplished a good ball striking day today. Was even a bit errant at times, yet my end result was an 85 which for me was only to 2 off from my PB of 83 and the 3rd time this year I even shot that low.
So in the end, while I didn't feel good about my golf yet still managed one of my best rounds. Just funny sometimes is all.

Or spmetimes just the opposite happens where ya might feel like you played very well and are real happy about the ball striking but yet your end score was a disappointment. Again, just strange sometimes.

Last edited:
Three lousy shots and a putt = par.

no............

Three lousy shots and a putt = par.

true, but I think two things saved me today. Firsty was making good recover shots from enough of the poorer tee game and also was myself not badly screwing up my shorty cip/pitch game. Not that it was great, but just that it didn't cause any blow-up holes. Actually had 3- 3putts today which on two occasions came on par3's where I did hit the green

But as said , I feel like my last few rounds have been played better than today's round and yet todays round was the lowest of the 3 . Go figuire

didn't take too long..

I had the opposite happen today. I played really well but 2 holes hurt the score. I felt like I played better than the scorecard showed.

I had the opposite happen today. I played really well but 2 holes hurt the score. I felt like I played better than the scorecard showed.

Yes, good point as the opposite also happens at times and I edited my open. I have done that too.

Yes. Last year I had a round where I hit 6 fairways and 4 greens got 3 birdies and shot a 71. It was about as mediocre of ball striking as you will ever see. But I also only had 22 putts. One of my best scores ever on my home course and I did not feel that good about it. It was just stupid putting, beyond what I had ever done before, or done since. The 79 I shot a couple of weeks ago was far more rewarding to me simply because I was hitting the ball pure.

Absolutely, I've pieced together some really good scores this summer. All depends on how well my short game and putting are for the round.

All the time. I try to play one shot at a time and I'm often about ten strokes better than where I thought I was going to be.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah - today.....89 but only 11% GIR. Scrambled well and fought it all day but broke 90. Can't argue with it, just moving on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went through 3 or 4 rounds where I got really frustrated with my ball striking. I would slice the drive into the next fairway, then proceed to top the ball all the way to the green and two put every hole. Add a whole bunch of balls put into the water too...

When I tallied up my score expecting the worst, they came out to well within the average scores I had been posting.

It boiled down to my expectations were set too high for my experience level and my progress wasn't coming along as fast as I had hoped. I lowered my expectations and just focused on enjoying the game and have had a great time since and have been posting lower scores too!

Yep, and I have had it go the other way too.

Mine are the opposite typically. Probably my last 20 rounds have felt like I did everything pretty well, but my scores haven't reflected that. My bad holes have simply been too bad.

All the time. Most of my rounds are measured on how well I feel I struck the ball, putted, etc. so what can feel like a crappy round can turn out to be something in the mid 70's. Last weekend I had 13 GIR and literally made nothing from outside of 6 feet, felt like a so-so round and ended up 3 over.

Actually as I think back to my PB of 83 which was last year, it wasn't exactly the best of my ball striking rounds (with exception of a few shots) and in fact remember quite a number of shots that were not good and yet still ended up a PB anyway. Sometimes I guess we just have a lot of what is often referred to as "good misses" where we don't feel really good about our shots but yet we somehow remain efficient enough (for lack of a better word) to still end up with a good finish score.

While other times we might make a lot of memorable shots that leave us feeling really good about our golf but with enough screw ups in between where as we don't score well for the round.

I guess in the end its really all about damage control. Perhaps good recoveries, and a manageable short game, both of which prevent blow-up holes even if the ball striking is not ones better stuff that day. No blow-ups usually equals a decent-to-good round.

As I have been told before, it is how many not how.

haha not a chance. I've had rounds where I've thought I played well and ended up shooting worse than I thought. But I've never played poorly and actually shot well. Usually when it's bad, it's BAD, because it's typically when I lose my swing and I start throwing doubles and triples out like they are candy.

I have had a personal goal of breaking 40 for 9. Earlier this year I sliced my driver off the first tee so started using nothing longer than a 7 iron to tee off on any hole just to keep it in the fairway. Knowing I was going to be short off the tee I was not really paying attention to my score, I knew it would be high. My mid-irons were weak, my short irons and chipping anywhere from mediocre to execrable (they have improved since then...I think...)

So I paid no attention to my score...until I got to the 9th hole. If I hit par i would set my personal best. Naturally I pulled out my driver and striped it, put the next shot just short of the green and left myself about a 4' sidehill putt for par and my 39. Of course I yipped it and the next one as well to 3-putt from 4'...but yeah, had you asked me how I was playing, I would have said porrly and guessed I would struggle to break 50 when in reality I set my personal best of 41 at that time. Perception <> reality

Yes, I have. There are a lot of rounds where I was 0/14 from the tee, didn't hit a single green, but still ended up with a reasonable score due to a solid short game. It often doesn't feel that way because it's frustrating to have to work from the rough/trees every time, but when I step of the green at 18 and calculate my score, it actually wasn't that bad in terms of number of shots.

This happened to me the other day. Scabbing shots left right and centre - long game couldn't be in a worse state. Counted up my score after the round and hit bang on handicap - something I haven't done in a while due to awful long game. Greens were being hollow-tined and top soiled too!

Some days I miss fairway's or not have many GIR and still shoot a good score, and some days I hit every fairway and/or every GIR and score higher. It all just has to come together during the same round, and it rarely does.

Yeah, yesterday as a matter of fact. Struggled with the big stick all day (0/7 FIR) and put up a 9 on the par 5 #2 and I thought I was playing poorly. I did birdie #3 but looked at my score afterwards and with the exception on a double bogey on #7 I played bogey golf the rest of the way, despite my bad tee game. For me that's pretty good and could get me into the low 90s when I play ... so maybe progress!

Back