Course Review: Royal New Kent

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Royal New Kent is part of the Traditional Golf Properties and is located at 10100 Kentland Trail, Providence Forge, VA 23140. Phone number is (804)966-7023, and website is RoaylNewKent.com

DSC01753.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Clubhouse

Amenities: Above is the view of the clubhouse as you exit the car and head up. The clubhouse has an older traditional English look to me, but then again I have never been on that side of the pond. The clubhouse is specious with a large pro shop, and large dining area. The best part of the clubhouse is the view. You are able to look out over the 10th fairway and the 18th green, they even have a small practice mat set up for shots on to 18 from the clubhouse (I guess to settle bets). The food in the grill/bar is good and they normally have around 6 beers on tap with 1 always being a local brew. The clubhouse is very clean and roomy with clean bathrooms and locker room. The locker room was available to use although I never have. The only bathrooms on the course are porta Johns, and the only time I have used one it was clean. I did not see a cart girl on this Monday morning but they do have one. The course is rather spacious and typically you will see her twice at best. There are several water coolers around the course and the marshal comes around several times to make sure they are full and cold. On on hole the water cooler must have been getting low as when he checked it, he radioed in for someone to come and refill it.
Grade: B

DSC01759.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Putting green

Practice area: The practice area consist of the putting green next to the clubhouse and the first tee, along with driving range, and chipping green. The putting green pictured here is very long, the picture does not do it justice. It has two different levels but is not very wide. It is and has always been in the same condition as the greens on the course. By my best estimation the green is 125'x24' and normally has 5 4 holes cut into it with 3 smaller holes place around too.

The driving range is the one eye sore on this course. The hitting area is fine with grass only surface and plenty of room both in length to hit all your clubs and in width to accommodate an abundance of people. There are several flags on the range to use for targets. The eye sore is that it is just not pretty. The landing area on the range is natural grass with natural shrubs off on the sides. It does have you facing towards the trees to tracking your ball is not a problem. The reason behind the natural grass and shrubs is to keep in line with the links looks of the course and it saves money. I understand why it is like that but on the cosmetic level it is a downfall.

The chipping green is around the same length as the putting green but wider. It too is the same condition as the greens on the course and the rough around the green is the same. There are several flags on the green to aim at and has different elevations like the greens on the course. There are range balls provided (about 50) to use and you have room for chipping and pitches no further than about 25 yards. I do not recall a practice bunker. Both the chipping and driving range have club cleaners.
Grade: C+ (no frill straight to the point)

DSC01763.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] View from the first tee (black tees)

Course Conditions: Simply put the course is in good condition. Tee boxes had nice grass and on par 3's there were several tee boxes to use in order to let the grass come back in from divots. The tee boxes are large allowing the course to provide different angles into the green and fairways. It can play mind games with you on several holes. Tees easily go into the ground. Fairways were cut nicely and showed very few signs of divots. The grass was grown in completely with no bare spots. The rough on the course is minimal and easy to get out of. Now with that said just past the rough is the natural grass that is a game changer. They actually burn it down every fall to keep it from growing to wild. If you find your self in the natural stuff which is easy just go ahead and drop. Sand traps are deep and the sand is not fluffy. The conditions that day they were still wet and matted down.

The greens on the course are very large and can play at several different lengths. They have a ton of undulation and roll smooth every time. Depending on the weather and when they were last cut the can become very fast. On this day the were still wet from the storm the night before and the ball was not rolling out at all. There were several divots, every shot hit into them the ball stuck! On a dry day you will get plenty roll out depending on the shot you hit into the green. They rolled just like the practice green and every green had the same speed.
Grade: A

DSC01807.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Par 3 #7

Layout: The course is a Mike Strantz design which is also the designer of a THP favorite course of Caledonia! The course is very long and the holes have some distance between them. For high school and college tourneys they actually transport all players from hole to hole due to the distance and how up and down the course is. The greens are large and fairways are rather wide. There are fairway bunkers, wild grass, hills, trees, and creeks all running through hole. The natural grass rough is a bad word and you will hate being in it. There is not a flat green on the course or a flat fairway. There are several blind shots and holes where length can get you in trouble. The picture of the first hole is from the black tees and you can not see the green. You have a large mound that you can hit over if you can carry a driver 240-250 in the air. There are par 5's where you can drive into trouble but still must carry the ball certain length to miss trouble. Only five holes have water that come into play. The par 3's are not all force carry but if you miss the rough will beat you up. In the par 3 #7 picture above you can see that the green is long an narrow with trouble around it. From this tee box it play 167 but today was playing 198 to the flag. This course is hard course and they have a card in the carts recommending what tee boxes you play based on your average score. They are not afraid to tell you that this is a tough course. It is a fun course and one of my favorites but I would not recommend it for someone just getting into the game. One of the reasons I like this course and layout so much is that you forget you are in Virginia and feel like I am in another country.

Score card has 5 tees with the longest being the Invicta. It is their hardest and longest but they only use it for one tournament a year. Most of the time they do not even have the tee markers set up for it.
Invicta: 77.1/153, 7480
Gold: 75.7/149, 7119
Black: 73.7/145, 6695 this is the tees I played this day and took pictures from (shot 88)
White: 67.9/131, 6132
Green: 65.4/124, 4882
Grade:A

Pace of Play: Depending on what tees you play and assuming you have a 4some it will take you around 4.5 hours to play. It is not a slow play at all but the time comes from the distance between holes and the elevation. The more you play here the faster the rounds go. I have never had a group waiting on us nor have I had to wait on a group past the first tee. They do a great job with pacing groups and they have a marshal that will drive around.

Price: The course is on the pricey side to me but I have never payed full price. I believe that during the season it is $55 week days and $70 on weekends for locals. It's $100 if you are not local (70ish miles). They do deals all the time for their tradition club members which you can join if you are local. For example right now is tee off any time and for $55/$65 and that is golf all day with lunch until the end of August. With my VSGA card I can play here 5 times through the year for $30.

Overall: This is one of the best and toughest public courses in the state of Virginia. It is my favorite course.

Here is one more pic I will add more next time I go. This is from the back of the clubhouse looking out towards the 10th fairway and the creek that runs along number 17&18. This was first thing in the morning.
Screen%20Shot%202015-08-05%20at%208.21.24%20PM.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Very nice write up. Thanks for sharing the course with us.

I always enjoyed heading up to New Kent when I was stationed in Norfolk. It's a bit if a drive an kinda out there but worth it. The other Stranz course Stonehouse is a fun track as well and a few miles south in Toano if I'm remembering it right. Thanks for posting this and bringing back some great memories of the course!

Very nice looking course,nice write up. That last photo is stunning

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Great writeup, Ive played the course before and its easily one of my all time favorites

Patrick, tell me the time and date and I'm there!

I always enjoyed heading up to New Kent when I was stationed in Norfolk. It's a bit if a drive an kinda out there but worth it. The other Stranz course Stonehouse is a fun track as well and a few miles south in Toano if I'm remembering it right. Thanks for posting this and bringing back some great memories of the course!

Your memory is on point sir.

Patrick, tell me the time and date and I'm there!

I am gone next week but lets shoot for something the week of the 17th

Nice writeup, and a gorgeous course.

~Rock

Great write up. And such a fun course unless the greens are fast

If I remember correctly when I played it my first time it was actually in the top 100 hardest in the country.

What a great looking track.

Gorgeous, and appreciate the write up. I know pictures are sometimes deceptive, but that view from the first tee gives me heart palpitations. All kinds of trouble to get into!

684FC78B.jpg
DE959284.jpg
8681DDC3.jpg
AAB186DB.jpg
1220BD26.jpg
DB4FC09E.jpg
F44801F9.jpg

I knew I had some pictures still laying around.

Great writeup, Ive played the course before and its easily one of my all time favorites
A 2016 THP Event scouting trip perhaps.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Great write-up and review. I have never played it, but it looks great.

One of my favorites tracks, played 72 holes one day back in August 97. Love the course but I'm highly critical of 18, it is completely out of character with the rest of the design, fits Stonehouse more then New Kent. A great day is 36 split between the 2 courses.

Great write-up. That is a great looking course. Thanks for sharing.

One of my favorites tracks, played 72 holes one day back in August 97. Love the course but I'm highly critical of 18, it is completely out of character with the rest of the design, fits Stonehouse more then New Kent. A great day is 36 split between the 2 courses.

I agree with you that it does seem unlike the rest of the holes on the course.

Nice to hear that it is in good shape! Thanks for the post.

I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it back there since I moved to VA about 3 years ago. I'll make it a goal to get there before the VSGA special ends in early Sept I think

Score Card
DSC01755.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC01757.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Number 1 a drive over the mound will leave you inside 100 to the green. But you must carry it 240-250 to clear the natural grass and brush on the other side. If the ball goes in there it is very hard to play out. A good drive right of the mound will put you still in the fairway. You can drive through the fairway if you go to straight depending on what tees you hit from. If the ball is right of the fairway it is gone. You can lay up with a hybrid or iron to the 150 marker but it can be a blind shot in. There is a nasty green side bunker with a bunch of natural grass that you do not want to be in. The green has a false front and is pretty long and up hill from the fairway.

DSC01761.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

130ish into the green
DSC01766.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

From the back of the green
DSC01768.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
​Thanks for refreshing this.

Back