Tiger Woods Switches Putters

Nike must have wet themselves when he told them this.

I have actually rolled this putter and I cant blame him. Awesome flatstick.

Wow, I think this has to be considered one of the largest things to happen in equipment switching in a quite a while. Also I agree, sales will be huge! I see a TW edition coming!!!

Good for Nike!! I too am a bit shocked by this, but Tiger has been unpredictable lately. Maybe this is what we needs to get his game back together. Who knows though? Like I didn't need another reason to watch the Open this weekend!! Haha.

When you can hit a 6-iron 230 yards from a bunker over water to a tight pin for an eagle and make it look easy you don't need a hybrid. :)

Big news indeed. I bet Nike was doing backflips.

The 3H...for when you need to float it 270 to a green that's 5 yards deep, front pin placement, on a downslope, with a bunker in front and OB over.

It's the puttee not the putter. :)

I'm no fan of Mr. Woods, but he seemed to do all right with the SC.

His putting couldn't get any worse. Might as well give a change a chance.

I predict that he will have great success and I will be waiting in line to buy one. Maybe I should go ahead and order mine now? I can't find a ghost to try around here anyway.

will be interesting to see if he sticks with the new putter and how many of the Scotty nut-huggers follow suit...

I've been putting really well with mine... and I've tried a lot of other putters over the past year. Admittedly I think my issue was more trying to find the right style putter for my putting stroke than anything else. My putting started to come around when I switched to the Ping Redwood Zing and now I play the Nike Method 002 which I am rolling even better than I did Zing...

Does anyone think this makes Tiger look desperate? Or maybe that he is thinking maybe a change of equipment could be good for him? This year he has already used 3 different types of driver shafts, now a new ball and putter... I don't remember reading/seeing/hearing about him tinkering so much in the past

I think the change is good. I hope it works for him, I want him to WIN

Desperate or not he seems to have found the right shaft because his driving has been awesome. I will say the putter change is huge news, but when you look at the science NIKE has to backup their product it's hard to argue with. The same goes for reviews here. When I see certain people rave about a product it piques my interest because I trust their opinion. So when NIKE shows other tour players results from switching how can you argue with it? I'm sure Tiger and NIKE have done so much testing it's not funny. I'm still calling him to win it this week!

Desperate? Really?
I think he would be so biased against switching, due to history and all with it, that he would try and hold onto his scotty. Tigers not known to change clubs super often (if i remember correctly). I would think that the Method would have to outperform it by quite a bit for him to actually make the switch.

If this stays in his bag, which remains to be seen, this is going to put a dent in the value of Scotty Cameron putters.

I am talking about the ones that go for top dollar on ebay as well as the overpriced rare headcovers.

I also liked how he didnt go "Ghost Nascar" when asked about it. He said new groove technology once. But mostly contributed it to his inability to putt on slow greens

Did anyone happen to watch this video?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=5375422&sportCat=golf

It raised a few questions for me because the first time I watched it, I didn't understand who he said he played his practice round with. He played his round with O'Meara, who he jokingly referred to as an older brother, but with the television on in the background, I thought he said he played with his brother Amir. Tiger doesn't have a brother named Amir, but it made me wonder - Can a tour player play his practice round with whomever they want to? Even if it's their hacker of a brother?

not that Tiger or anyone else would probably want to - it's my feeling that bad play can be contagious. When I play with my father I make sure to beat him on the first few holes until I get into a rhythm because if I begin my round by watching my old man hook his tee shots, I can't get it out of my head and I implode. We play at the same level, but he lets the first few holes get in his head...

If its considered the 'week of the tournament' like on the tuesday or monday then no. But if its prior then i dont see why not.
Can a tour player play his practice round with whomever they want to? Even if it's their hacker of a brother?

From the perspective of Marketing the issue for SC is that common sense would suggest that we mere mortals play regularly on greens that would fall into the category of slow by Tiger standards. As such one could contend that the Method would be a better putter for us mere mortals regardless of whether or not Tiger continues to use his SC on fast greens.

From Jimmy Fallion

Tiger is switching putters for the first time in 11 years. If I were him I would have tried to keep that a secret. I wouldn't want people to know I stuck with my putter longer than my wife

This is huge for Nike. Especially if he wins. If he ends up putting poorly, it will be Tiger's fault but if he ends up putting great, it will be because of the putter chance (at least that's what people will perceive) either way it's win-win for Nike. I think it's a smart move.

2010 for Tiger: Chance in marital status, sponsorships, coach, putter... what's next?

Spoiler
maybe finally a win.

Don't forget he changed his ball too.

Anyone know what he changed from and to? (ball wise)

It seems like the switch has worked out so far for him!!!

I was listening on XM on my way to work this morning. All they talked about was him switching putters. I know its a big deal, but really? I always think once the tournament starts, lets start talking golf.

I remember reading that he changed putters, and then have been watching today wondering why because it looks so similar to the Scotty. So I guess the difference is in the face? Makes sense that he'd want it to be similar to what he's used to if he intends to switch back. I don't really see this as huge news if he is planning on switching back.

It seems like Nike should be able to custom build him a putter exactly like the Scotty he has, that says Nike though.

Back