At what point are you happy with your game?

I will keep striving forward no matter what

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Well, maybe happy isn't exactly the right word. Perhaps "content" or "satisfied?"

All of us face certain limitations, be that budget, availability of teaching or practice facilities, skill levels, time, etc. and those things combine to mean that most of us are never going to be scratch players. When are we okay with our games? Where's your game now and where does it need to be for you to walk off the course on a regular basis feeling content or happy or satisfied?

I will go first. Currently I'm almost a 12 handicap. I felt pretty good about things during a stretch where I consistently shot low 80s and snuck in a high 70s round. That probably equates to a high single digit number. Given time and skill limitations I am okay at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're talking about golf, right? I don't think happy, content or satisfied are really words I associate with the game. Whenever I get to somewhere I thought would make me happy, the goal posts move.

The goal I have that I THINK would make me happy is to shoot my age. Unless a miracle happens, I'm years from being able to reach that goal (I'm 57 right now).

I just don't think an avid golfer could ever be 100% satisfied with their game. Even at his ball striking peak, Ben Hogan was never close to satisfied, and even as crappy as I am, I understand WHY he wasn't.

Long term never!

Short term when I get back to striping the ball off the tee and my irons into greens and post a number that I have already posted twice. But once I reach that goal the goal will change and I'll be happy when it does.

This has been interesting. I appreciate the different perspectives.

I am satisfied with a round if I play to my handicap. I would be satisfied with my season if my handicap improved a few strokes. If I can get my handicap below 20, I think I would have to say "mission accomplished" and try to maintain that level of golf. I'm not sure why 20 is the magic number, I guess it means I might flirt with breaking 90 a few times a season, and only have to endure triple digit rounds a few times a season.

I want to shoot even par once. But I would be very content as a single digit handicap, even if that digit were a 9.

I don't know when I will be happy with my game. I know I enjoy every round i play, but I know I can do better that what I am doing now and want to get better. I am sure I will get to the point I am happy with it. Just don't know what that point is yet.

I think I'm mostly pretty happy with my game most of the time, but aware of where I need to make improvements. Earlier in the season I was missing fairways so not giving my self great lies to approach the green. Now I'm hitting fairways and greens pretty well, but struggling a bit with the putter and on distance with my chips. Just need to get those working better.

I don't know at what point I'd be happy with my game? I suppose any time I play better than my handicap I'm happy?

I think consistent rounds in the mid to upper 70's would be a sweet spot for me right now, I would be happy there.

I'm pretty content with my game right now. At age 68 I want to hit the ball fairly long and straight, and make good contact with my irons. Good scores are great, but sometimes the score does not reflect how a person is hitting the ball.

When I feel as though a 79 is realistic any time I step on a course. I've been pretty close to that for the last 2 months with awful putting holding me back more than anything. Still, I'm not unhappy with my game right now shooting a couple of strokes either side of 80. Just wish I could play pain free. That would be beyond happiness.

I doubt I will ever be satisfied unfortunately. Just not the way I work. If I was shooting 75 or lower every round, maybe, but then I would probably start grinding even harder to get that lower.

I will be happy with my game when I can get around the course pain free.
My personal goal is to shoot in the 70s continually. I actually thought I would get there last spring, but last year, injuries started happening. It's one injury after another.
I don't know if any competitive person can ever be completely satisfied with their game. That is part of the fun of this sport.

I've played better in years past, but I was more satisfied this year than any of them. Lower expectations do that to a guy.

The reality is that if you're able to break 90 on a moderately difficult golf course, you are better or as good than the majority of people that play golf.

Never. I always see strokes on the course that I could have eliminated and I always want to see improvement.

I'm happy with my game now. That has nothing to do with improving--I'm always trying to get better. But I finish just about every round feeling good.

Every season I set a new goal, like improving certain parts of the game. At some point I always achieve it, but then already forgot that was my goal and set a new expectation for myself, so I guess I'm never satisfied.

When I am playing under Bogey Golf I am happy. So if I can make the turn at 8 over or better I feel good. Days like yesterday, when I am 13 over at the turn I do not even want to keep playing.

Back