Forced carry. Go or no?

Sox_Fan

Go Sox!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Cold Temps
Par 4 with a 40 yard wide water hazard running across the hole and no bail out area to either side of the hazard. Forced carry to clear the hazard is 220 yards and your typical driver carry distance on well hit shots is 230 yards. Clearing the hazard leaves you with 7 iron or less into the green and laying up short of the hazard leaves you with a long iron, hybrid or FW. Do you chance it?

Nope. Comfortable enough with hybrids that I'll take the safer approach.

Depends on what hole it is and what I'm playing for that day. But maybe.

My ball would be wet 9 out of 10 times, 220 is a long drive for me. Got to go the safe route.

How's my score? If it's not great I'll go for it. If not I'll lay up

It depends on how I'm swinging the sticks that day.

No. I'll take my chances laying up and then going after it with my 7W or 5H.

No, 99% of the time my ball is in the water in that case.

I go for it... that happened to me yesterday, only it was into a slight breeze.... I thought I nutted it, but ended up in the drink. If I was playing for money I'd probably grab a 5 iron thiugh

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I want to say it is depending on how well I am hitting my driver that day... but I am probably going to give it a go 7 times out of 10.

If you are making solid contact that day and there is no wind or anything that can effect your ball in a negative way, I'd go for it. However, if you haven't been hitting the center of the face consistently that day, I'd lay up.

Nope. I'm laying up. Honestly with that kind of hole setup I'm probably going for a 6i, 6i, wedge, putt par attempt.

As long as it it relatively clear and dry across the hazard on both sides I'll go for that every time.

That's with my driver, if I'm only hitting it 230, it would have to depend on how I'm hitting it that day.

No. Any time a shot depends on being well-struck and I can't go with a longer club to ensure a not-so-well-struck shot makes it, I'm laying up.

If the carry is anywhere near your usual shot carry like 10-15 yards. Then no. But that all depends on how well I'd been feeling that day. If I'm hitting well, I probably didn't even think about the carry yardage before I hit the shot.

Normally a lay up. But if I am behind in strokes (against better players than I) and feeling great that day... I'm swinging for the fences. :)

I don't lay up very often, but this would be one of those times I did.

depends on trouble around the green. no trouble, lay up.

if there is trouble, I'll try the carry and leave myself the shorter shot.

I'd stay short. I have a lot of confidence in my hybrid so I have no problem playing to that club

Not going for it. Leave it short and just hope I don't chunk the next shot into it. Ha

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That's not enough window for my comfort level, I'm laying up and hitting a hybrid probably. No need to give away strokes on a shot that I'd HAVE to hit perfect in order to make.

If it's a forced carry with 10 yards of margin for my 2 wood or 4 wood I'd go for it nearly every time. With a driver I like to have 15-20 yards of margin.

Fun round I'm going for it, in a competition I would lay up unless I needed to make something special happen.

Lay up and hope I don't skull the second shot.

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

Back