Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

Has anybody hit the GBB with the PX LZ red 60 6.0-6.5? Probably the 6.5; I seem to do well with the 60wt x shafts. Or does anybody have any first hand intel on the shaft? Not talking about the $250 handcrafted upcharge one, but the one offered as a stock option. Interested in thoughts about that combo.

The GBB is one of the few Callaway drivers I've been very interested in lately, although I did own the DBD for awhile.

I'll have the LZ Red 6.0 in my GBB on Monday. Hoping to get out for 9 holes depending on the weather.

He's been kicking my rear for the last month. He needs no more help
Pops from Pops......perhaps I should suggest a new R....never mind. Hahaha

Dean, this makes me smile because you're seeing precisely what I have.

I hope you got a Callaway tip on that grandura....

Reading the last few pages I think I need to go hit this one. I've been resisting bc I love my BBA 815 & I don't have the extra $$ to drop on a driver right now, but man it's getting hard to resist.

Reading the last few pages I think I need to go hit this one. I've been resisting bc I love my BBA 815 & I don't have the extra $$ to drop on a driver right now, but man it's getting hard to resist.
You won't regret it when the coin is right

Just hit this one at the local Golfsmith during a fitting and it was awesome. It straightened out my fade with the weight towards the heel of the club.

How much of an upgrade is this from the regular 2014 bertha? Has anyone compared the two?

How much of an upgrade is this from the regular 2014 bertha? Has anyone compared the two?
I reviewed both, and the 815 too. It's a significant upgrade in ball speed retention, the rmoto face is an insane improvement on the Bertha and even last year's rmoto in the 815. Better launch, lower spin, and the apw works significantly better based on all of my data.

Its legit. It honestly is.

Demo day at local golf mart for new callaway drivers. Demoed GBB in 9* N/S apw just in "Great Big Bertha" script on sole of club. Shaft was one of the 19 stock shaft offerings: Speeder Evo. This was second time testing GBB indoors. Driver felt good and smooth. *numbers are top 4 drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent some time with this club on the Trackman machine this morning after playing 9 holes. I had the 10.5 head set to +2/D with a stiff Speeder shaft. With a @96 mph SS I was seeing 235 carry, low 250 totals, 17* launch angle and 2800-3000 RPMs of spin. I dropped it to the stock setting and had nice results. I don't remember the numbers other than projected total distance jumping into the low 270s on at least a couple of them. On one especially bad swing at the stock setting my RPMs plummeted to @1900 and I got a low hook that was actually still better than I would have expected in terms of dispersion.

Numbers aside, dispersion was great, trajectory was easy, sound/feel were phenomenal - clearly superior to my current gamer - and the balls came off the face looking like they were absolutely bombed (not to be an internet golfer but I swore I was seeing balls land in areas of the range - at/near the 250 marker - that I don't normally reach, regardless of what the TM machine said.)

Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

So I just got done watching ddec KILL this thing for 18 holes. I've gotten to play quite a bit of golf with Dean over the last two years, and I've NEVER seen him drive the ball as far as he did today.

As far as the driver itself, I only asked to swing it once, and I mis-hit it. At least I think I mis-hit it. It took off with a low ball flight and down the right side of the hole, never came back left, but did run out quite a bit--similar to what I see from my Alpha 815. It was only one swing, and like I said, I'm fairly sure I missed it, but the forgiveness and distance were there. As for the aesthetics, I prefer the gloss finish of the Alpha 815 to the matte finish of the GBB, but that's just me. I also thought the GBB sounded (felt, whatever) more muted at impact than the Alpha 815, but with only one swing under my belt, I'll just leave it at that.

Edit: and speaking of "bombs," how about this ddec GBB photobomb?

7b6359cef9ad122f2552d70e135a88a5.jpg

Last edited:
I hit it well the first 3 drives yesterday and haven't hit it well since. Big 2 way miss, have no clue where its going. Currently on course and have found nothing but trouble.

This sounds like my round yesterday with the GBB - army golf. Weight set to fade and I never saw the right hand side of the fairway, very disappointing opening round. Initial impression is where the hell did I put my 815.

This sounds like my round yesterday with the GBB - army golf. Weight set to fade and I never saw the right hand side of the fairway, very disappointing opening round. Initial impression is where the hell did I put my 815.
Worst driving day of the year for me. Sad really. What has been a strength has completely flipped since the 3rd drive yesterday.

Worst driving day of the year for me. Sad really. What has been a strength has completely flipped since the 3rd drive yesterday.

Should have never let Pete near it. It's like the check engine light all over again.

Played a quick 9 with my GBB/KK and Z545/KK, no idea where the GBB was going, everywhere from left center to far left. The 545 was a predictable ball flight. I'm dumbfounded so far, really enjoyed the 815 but hated the BB2014 - so far this club appears to be a repeat of the 2014 club more then an improvement on the 815.

I'm going to head back over the range later today with 5 shafts and see which, if any, will take the left hand side of the course out of play.

Played a quick 9 with my GBB/KK and Z545/KK, no idea where the GBB was going, everywhere from left center to far left. The 545 was a predictable ball flight. I'm dumbfounded so far, really enjoyed the 815 but hated the BB2014 - so far this club appears to be a repeat of the 2014 club more then an improvement on the 815.

Check ball position - my first time with the GBB was inconsistent - straight bombs or low and left - I took the low and left as my ball position being too far forward and the club face being left at impact (ball flight rules - 85% of starting ball flight is where club face is pointing at impact).

I'm intrigued by this driver after hitting one on a a couple holes yesterday. A guy in my group had one with a shaft that certainly was far from optimal but I crushed it with a high draw both times. The second one I hit a little off the toe and it still carried the far lip of a bunker that was 267 yards so I'm headed to my local shop Monday or Tuesday to try one with some different shafts. I haven't bought a driver in over 6 months so I'm definitely overdue!

Played 9 holes today with my buddy Tim and frankly could not be happier with how I hit this. 5 of 6 fairways and the ball going where I wanted it to. FlightScope before the round had me at 14 degrees of launch, and I want that up a degree, so moved the loft to 11 degrees and saw 15.9* with the Grandura shaft. 2685 spin was my average, and for playing in FL, I tend to like it closer to 2850, but this will certainly do and can continue to get dialed in.

The one thing that stood out for me was that I missed high on the club face two different times and both of them lost virtually no distance to what I am used to seeing. All in all, a really solid 9 holes with the GBB and loving what I am seeing so far.

Question for the people that have tested this on a machine. Are you seeing any changes in SS with this club vs what you have with your previous driver or gamer?

Nice stuff, JB. The GBB certainly has my attention. I've tried a few other drivers over the last year, but always come back to my J40. Most recently, the G30, which I am going to try with the same shaft that I have in my J40, but it doesn't suit my eye and seems ginormous compared to what I have now. I need to get fit but that is probably for another thread, but the 19 shaft offerings with the GBB is so tempting.

Nice stuff, JB. The GBB certainly has my attention. I've tried a few other drivers over the last year, but always come back to my J40. Most recently, the G30, which I am going to try with the same shaft that I have in my J40, but it doesn't suit my eye and seems ginormous compared to what I have now. I need to get fit but that is probably for another thread, but the 19 shaft offerings with the GBB is so tempting.
I game a G30, and I'm very happy with it. I'm not normally one who cares all that much about sound / feel with the driver - if it hits fairways and gets me out there I'm happy. But this club was so much better than the G30 in those areas when I demo'd it yesterday that it got my attention. The end results in terms of carry and total distance don't appear to be much different but that was without fitting the GBB to optimize anything. I agree with you about this club being tempting.

I game a G30, and I'm very happy with it. I'm not normally one who cares all that much about sound / feel with the driver - if it hits fairways and gets me out there I'm happy. But this club was so much better than the G30 in those areas when I demo'd it yesterday that it got my attention. The end results in terms of carry and total distance don't appear to be much different but that was without fitting the GBB to optimize anything. I agree with you about this club being tempting.

It may be a mental/visual thing for me as the G30 just looks so long front to back to me--I have played deeper faced, pear shaped drivers the last few years and there is a comfort level with that sort of appearance. I do like the sliding weights on the GBB.

Question for the people that have tested this on a machine. Are you seeing any changes in SS with this club vs what you have with your previous driver or gamer?

No. And to be honest, I dont expect to. I am seeing more ball speed however (1.7 mph) and more ball speed on balls hit high on the face, but swing speed is not really something I expect to increase, especially considering this driver is 8 grams heavier than my last combo (and no, I cannot feel a difference :D )

Back