Making golf easy (for me)

Hook_Setter

Reaction score
Handicap
10-12 yrs ago I left the golf course, and threw the whole set of clubs in the trash bin. Fast forward to the first week of this month, when going visit my wife's son, he tells me to bring my clubs ( had a set given to me a few yrs ago) to play some during our visit. Knowing that I sucked, I would take my shot, go get my ball drop it next to his and take my next shot, I still sucked but had a good time and figured I'd give golf another shot.

When I got back home I played a couple times that first week and the frustration was setting back in,so on the turn one day, I got a beer and sat away from the 10th hole tee box watching a group tee off, when I remembered a article in Golf Digest that I read those many yrs ago that you could play bogey golf if you could consistently hit your 7 iron 135 yards and could chip and putt decent. So that round of nine that's what I did, the round wasn't pretty but I played in the short grass more then I ever had, and posted a round of 65 :laugh:. When I got home I took EVERY club out of my bag except for the 7,8,9,pw, chipper and putter and have been playing like that since. Went out today and shot a 50, wow 15 strokes off my game in a couple weeks. Had 5 holes that I was putting for par, 2 with birdie putts, ended up with 2 pars and a couple bogeys.

Lots of reading/searching online lead me to my "game plan", I play for bogey, if I'm putting for par that's a bonus, playing with the 7 iron as my "big" club has sharpened my short game, chipping and putting is where the strokes come off. Course management is something I have never thought of, now I think about every shot before I take it, can I make it to the green or is the safe shot to layup and pitch/chip to the green. Driving is for show, rest of the game is played with irons/woods.

None of this maybe be helpful to anyone else, but it has made the game "easy" for me and most of all FUN, and maybe I will get in the 90s before to long, I am no doubt hooked on this game now.

Nice post OP. There's a million different ways to play golf, but you hit the nail on the head, the most important thing for us amateurs is to have fun. If it's not fun there's no reason to even play. As long as it stays fun I say keep doing what you're doing! Once you've started hitting the 7 iron well maybe grab the 6 and work from there. Once you're comfortable hitting the 6 in the short grass, grab the 5 and keep going might work out nicely for ya that way!

Wow, nice break through!
A thought moving forward is to add a high lofted fairway wood or some kind of hybrid from the tee box. Nothing crazy but add that one more club for just a little more distance option from the tee.

Biggest thing is that you are having fun, way to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP! Love your approach. As your swing improves, you can slowly add longer clubs. Whatever it takes to have fun is most important.

I can attest to that you can get quite ok results with focusing on 7 iron and higher. This past week I played with a friend and the challange was that we we were only allowed to use 1 club. I choose 7iron (he used 8). On 9 holes I got 2 pars, 2 bogeys and 5 doubles, which is not that many more strokes than normally for me on that course...

Nice post OP. There's a million different ways to play golf, but you hit the nail on the head, the most important thing for us amateurs is to have fun. If it's not fun there's no reason to even play. As long as it stays fun I say keep doing what you're doing! Once you've started hitting the 7 iron well maybe grab the 6 and work from there. Once you're comfortable hitting the 6 in the short grass, grab the 5 and keep going might work out nicely for ya that way!

Totally agree. It is all about having fun, being out doors and being around family and friends. Golf is not a job for any of us here, so just enjoy it as much as you can.

Very nice read. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to thp

Welcome to THP and great story. . Keep up the great work.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Great post!! Being a high handicapper myself my philosophy is play to just have fun (I sometimes even manage to live up to that philosophy) so keep doing what you are doing and enjoy the game. And welcome to THP!!

Bringing clubs you can't hit to the driving range makes sense. Bringing them to the golf course doesn't.

Welcome to THP, We are glad you found us , Hang around here and you'll be hitting a bag full of clubs soon . Glad to see the enjoyment of the game come back for you , with as bad as I am the enjoyment of the game will never leave me.

Nice post OP. I'm currently trying something similar. Ditched the driver for my 5-wood at all times and seen scores creep under 100 consistently.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Go with what works, and sounds like that's exactly what the OP is doing. Have some fun, and as the swing gets more consistent, start adding some clubs back into the bag slowly.

But most importantly, just keep having fun.

good job.............

Good post. You discovered one of the best things about golf is that one can play fun casual golf how ever they wish and that goes for the rules too. Nothing matters and no body cares. Just have fun. When the time comes and you want to take things further you can try if you wish and if you don't want to, it doesn't matter as long as its fun.

I will say one thing I feel is safe to assume for most people. The more able we become, the more we enjoy it but also the more reasons we give ourselves to be disappointed. It can be a strange game in that sense. We easily become victims of our own successes lol. But you found a way to have fun and enjoy it and that's all that matters right now :)

Back