What stats do you strive for?

50% GIRs and FIRs, Birdie%>Double+%, 7 times the number of 1-putts than 3-putts.

Indicators of a great round by my standards, of which I aim to get, are as follows (although I fully admit I don't care enough to keep track every round).

GIR: >40%
Putts per GIR: <2
Penalties: <2
Score: <80

I have focused on putts and my score this season.

I'm thinking that putts per round can be misleading because that can also include the up and down where you chip onto the green and leave yourself a very short putt, or you're "chipping" with a putter from the fringe which is technically not a putt and is not kept as a putting statistic yet you can use it as a lag putt.

Putts per GIR is IMO more valuable, and I've yet to see a program keep that statistic. Most people's putting stats would go up if we only kept that.

For me, GIR is key. I score well when I am a hitting greens. If that is working, putts become more important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The three stats that I'm most focused on are penalty strokes, FWs hit with the driver, and greens hit on par 3s. If I do these things well, I'm going to score well.

Putting stats for me. Most of my game right now is focused on putting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

For the guys who are over 50% GIR how long did it take you to get there? and whats your handicap? just want to have an expectation of how long it takes to drop your handicap.
Thanks for any replies :)

I strive for low scores

To me the other stuff doesn't matter. I just want to get the ball in the hole as soon as possible
Panda agree whole heartedly, no pictures on scorecard. Only thing that matters is number of strokes and the lower the better

Only thing that matters to me is GIR and putts. Everything else gets sorted for review.

The things I chart are Putts, GIR, and FIR. I am right at 35 putts a round, would love to get that down by 3-4. My GIR is not very good, this is something that I think is really important for me to take a step as player. Right now I am usually hitting 4-6 a round and need to get that up ALOT. FIR is important also, I probably lead the country in "2nd shots behind a tree" so that is something I will work on this offseason.

I do also record my penalty strokes just to see how many shots I am giving away.

For the guys who are over 50% GIR how long did it take you to get there? and whats your handicap? just want to have an expectation of how long it takes to drop your handicap.
Thanks for any replies :)

Though I don't use it, my current HDCP is +2.2. It took me 4 years to get to scratch from the time I started playing and the last year of that I was practicing or playing nearly every afternoon.

Wow! That's awesome I would love to play every afternoon, have you had lessons or just developed your swing yourself?

My realistic ideal stats would go 75% fwys( happens often)
50% girs (that would be amazing for me)
30-32 putts
75% up/down saves

At the end of the day, the only number I am concerned with is the one that goes on the card

I might have a good day from the tee, but not hit any greens, yet scramble well and still score, so the only number that really matter is the one on the card

Wow! That's awesome I would love to play every afternoon, have you had lessons or just developed your swing yourself?

Except for what I learned while becoming a SPi Instructor I have not had a lesson. I was fortunate enough at the time to have a job with flexible hours and a boss that loved Golf. He had a Corporate Membership for the company at a local course so we played quite often.

If I could increase my FIR & GIR both by 25% - 30% I would be well happy.

Putting I am happy with, its currently at 1.82.

If it get a GIR I am 99% sure of making no more than a 2 putt so just that extra GIR % increase could lower my average score down to around 80.

FIR have improved as I went on a mission to manage my misses left & right, and while I still do miss it both ways, those misses are not 30/40 yards but now down to a manageable 5/10 yards.

Overall happy this year, I'm liking the steady away improvements I've made, not trying to push things just going steady. The biggest thing that has help with all of this is understanding how to manage your misses.

For me, I'm less concerned with FIRs and more concerned with minimizing the big misses so that I stay in play and/or out of the heavy rough/tree lines. I hit 50% FIRs yesterday during a 9 hole round but had 2 drives that weren't lost, but in the tree line that left me with nothing but a punch out. I punched one out, down, and across the fairway into a hazard. So those two drives cost me at least 3 strokes and both were stopped short because of trees which really cost me strokes in distance as well.

I'd like to see my GIRs at 50% right now. I only hit 1 GIR yesterday, but was literally 2-3 feet from at least 3 other GIRs. I chipped from the fringe 3 times.

Back