A Ball change mid round?

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
Can pga tour players change their balls mid round? I mean, for a par 3, could they go to a softer ball, and for a long par 5, go to a bit of a harder ball? I played with someone who did this religiously the other day, and I was wondering if PGATour players could/would do it?

I believe they have to play the same type ball throughout the whole round. Thus if they start with a ProV1 they have to play a ProV1 all the way through the round.

I didnt know, thats why i thought id ask. Thanks!
I believe they have to play the same type ball throughout the whole round. Thus if they start with a ProV1 they have to play a ProV1 all the way through the round.

Can pga tour players change their balls mid round? I mean, for a par 3, could they go to a softer ball, and for a long par 5, go to a bit of a harder ball? I played with someone who did this religiously the other day, and I was wondering if PGATour players could/would do it?

LOL stuff like this cracks me up. I'm too nice to ever say anything but the urge is so strong.

I know. It was mildly hilarious to say the least. But golf has a mental aspect too. If it works for him (which it doesnt), all the power to ya
LOL stuff like this cracks me up. I'm too nice to ever say anything but the urge is so strong.

I know. It was mildly hilarious to say the least. But golf has a mental aspect too. If it works for him (which it doesnt), all the power to ya

Had a guy the other day with us who had 2 56* wedges exactly the same to the naked eye (Both CG 10's I believe) telling us one had grooves made especially for the sand. Maybe this is true but I had to do everything I could to keep from laughing.

My buddy plays the Penta but sometimes we compete in scrambles. In another pocket of his bag I know he's got 2-3 Noodle's or whatever super distance long ball.

I am not against bringing out the shag bag if i have to carry water

Oh yeah, thats a given. I've got 8 TM TP REDS still in my bag, too scuffed to play consistently but definitly good enough for the occasionaly par three over water.

Oh yeah, thats a given. I've got 8 TM TP REDS still in my bag, too scuffed to play consistently but definitly good enough for the occasionaly par three over water.

I don't use a different ball just to hit across the water. You might as well just throw the ball in the water because you're defeated before you even tee off.

Hopefully there's a drop zone on the other side of the water if you put the first one in. I suppose if I put a few in I might decide to take out an old ball. Or use a Foo-King-Long ball to make sure I can carry it!

The tp Red isn't really a crappy ball. It just scuffs too easy for me and so I;ve got 7-8 of them left in my bag for I use for shag bag duties. However on a tough par three over water and I got to choose between my yellow srixon that's already lasted some 23 consecutive holes, and the TP red that's really just weighing my bag down......i think the choice is pretty clear.

23 consecutive holes? The choice is clear, make it 24 consecutive holes.
The tp Red isn't really a crappy ball. It just scuffs too easy for me and so I;ve got 7-8 of them left in my bag for I use for shag bag duties. However on a tough par three over water and I got to choose between my yellow srixon that's already lasted some 23 consecutive holes, and the TP red that's really just weighing my bag down......i think the choice is pretty clear.

A guy I play with always pulls out balls he's found to use on water holes. He then proceeds to complain when it doesn't hold the green. Most of the time the balls are hard as rocks.

23 consecutive holes? The choice is clear, make it 24 consecutive holes.
haha if you put it that way then yeah I guess. I really just want to get rid of all theses shag balls I've got in my bag. My local driving range just installed a new chipping/ bunker green with new balls for everyone to use. I can't use my own balls (even though their better than the range balls) cuz getting them back would just be a needle in a hay stack mess.

Additionally, they must play the same COLOR ball. This is what's on the sleeve of the yellow Z-Stars:

"<Concerning ball color and font color>
On the USGA and R&A conforming ball list, balls made with different color or different font color will be listed separately. Players must continue to use the same color ball when playing in an official competition to conform to the one ball regulation."

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe since ball numbers aren't listed separately, that would be the only change to their ball they could make. I will do that sometimes...for some reason, I will switch to a #4 for "luck" because I'm superstitious like that.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe since ball numbers aren't listed separately, that would be the only change to their ball they could make. I will do that sometimes...for some reason, I will switch to a #4 for "luck" because I'm superstitious like that.

The Number 8 is super lucky for us chinese people. and 7 is lucky obviously. I used to play the NXT Tours with the high numbers for that reason.

The Number 8 is super lucky for us chinese people. and 7 is lucky obviously. I used to play the NXT Tours with the high numbers for that reason.

Speaking of high-numbered balls, I seen a bin of balls at Golf Galaxy yesterday. They were a Titleist ball I never heard of, they were kind of shiny, like ladies' balls, and they all had the number "55" on them. Wonder if 88s are available?

Titleist Gran-Z
Speaking of high-numbered balls, I seen a bin of balls at Golf Galaxy yesterday. They were a Titleist ball I never heard of, they were kind of shiny, like ladies' balls, and they all had the number "55" on them. Wonder if 88s are available?

i thought you can play any ball you wanted to, as long as you finish the hole with the same ball you started with. I don't think tour players worry about it too much(I know Rocco uses a brand new ball for every par 3). I didn't think there was a rule against changing brands/types of balls during play. I guess I didn't know that

i thought you can play any ball you wanted to, as long as you finish the hole with the same ball you started with. I don't think tour players worry about it too much(I know Rocco uses a brand new ball for every par 3). I didn't think there was a rule against changing brands/types of balls during play. I guess I didn't know that

Changing balls is allowed in the Rules of Golf. You can change balls as often as you like between holes to any other conforming ball for most amateur and club competitions. The only time you can't is if the committee has instituted the one ball condition in the Conditions of the Competition, which should then be included in the players instructions which every player should receive before the start of play. This condition is usually only applied for high level competitions.

And im assuming the one ball condition is used for the pga tour?
Changing balls is allowed in the Rules of Golf. You can change balls as often as you like between holes to any other conforming ball for most amateur and club competitions. The only time you can't is if the committee has instituted the one ball condition in the Conditions of the Competition, which should then be included in the players instructions which every player should receive before the start of play. This condition is usually only applied for high level competitions.

My wife has her pink/yellow "pretty" balls that she refuses to hit over water, but what is more comical, is she pulls out a ball she's found that is typically more expensive than the one she was already hitting... (and the sick part about it, is that she usually shoots around 45, so she doesn't just hack her way through)

I guess there is no shame in preference. I avoid changing my ball at all costs... Like Thainer said, if it's working, it's staying in the game.

And im assuming the one ball condition is used for the pga tour?

I believe it is a PGA Tour rule only. If you stop to think about it these guys have contracts with the different ball companies to play their ball. If they changed balls from a ProV1 to a Srixon ZStar mid round they might lose their ball deal. Besides these guys play a specific ball that fits their needs and switching mid round would not be in their best interests. There is also a rule that if you run out of balls on the course you are DQ's. I think Tiger Woods one year at Pebble was on the 18th hole when he hit his tee shot left into the ocean. Steve gave him a new ball and Tiger finished the hole with it. However Steve said after the round that was Tiger's last ball in the bag as Steve forgot to put more in after their earlier practice session. Woods would have been DQ'd if he hit that last ball in the ocean as well and Steve would have probably been looking for a new job.

Back