Volunteering at a PGA event

I have volunteered for about 25 or more events at this point and I think it is well worth the investment and it isn't even close. Shirt, cap, food, admission for the entire week, some tournaments give a free round of golf or a discounted round somewhere, you get to watch great golf, be an asset to something that in the end gives a bunch of money to charity and you usually make some new friends. I fail to see how having to pay $60.00 to a $100.00 bucks for all that is a negative. Just my opinion though.

I have volunteered at Medical Tents for many sports events. I got t-shirts, hats, got to meet the top tier athletes and free concert tickets which were a show of appreciation from the organizers of the events realizing that I took time away from my office and provided a needed service to the participants of the events. These were HUGE events where most of the proceeds of the events went to various charities. It was my pleasure to help out anytime I could and it was always a great experience.

If they want a "donation" to volunteer, great! Then it's considered tax deductible. I don't buy it for a second, though. Sorry. If not having "volunteers" pay for the honor puts a dent in their donations, then they should lower the purses to make up for it. Do you honestly believe that to be the case??

I'm glad people have a positive experience from it. I sure hope so! Not for me though. Sorry, again. I don't charge people to work for me. I actually pay them!

Yeah, that wouldn't necessarily make it tax deductible. Just changing the wording of it doesn't change the substance of it.

And do I honestly believe what to be the case? That they would lower donations before the purse? Or that not receiving these funds reduces what they can donate? The latter is obvious since money is fungible and it reduces what they bring in. As to what they would choose? I don't know, but it wouldn't shock me that they don't take away from the players and risk losing them to other tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that wouldn't necessarily make it tax deductible. Just changing the wording of it doesn't change the substance of it.

And do I honestly believe what to be the case? That they would lower donations before the purse? Or that not receiving these funds reduces what they can donate? The latter is obvious since money is fungible and it reduces what they bring in. As to what they would choose? I don't know, but it wouldn't shock me that they don't take away from the players and risk losing them to other tournaments.

Actually it would. "Please donate $60 to your favorite charity and submit the receipt with your app to be a volunteer". That's what I mean.

So you believe that they would decrease their charitable donations if "volunteers" don't pay, and also not reduce the purse to make those same donations?? Dude, there are so many things wrong with that, it's not even funny. Do you even realize what you're saying????

I applied to volunteer at the '17 US Open. I have no idea what my chances are but I think it could be really fun. :)

Actually it would. "Please donate $60 to your favorite charity and submit the receipt with your app to be a volunteer". That's what I mean.

So you believe that they would decrease their charitable donations if "volunteers" don't pay, and also not reduce the purse to make those same donations?? Dude, there are so many things wrong with that, it's not even funny. Do you even realize what you're saying????

So you're saying they would take the money directly away from the players? I don't see that. Not a bit.

Also, that way of framing the donations prevents the PGA Tour from claiming the donations. Not what they want.

I voluntered at the last Solhiem cup, paid over $100, and glad I did. I worked in the credential van and also marsheled on a hole and would absolutely do it again. I had a blast, got to meet the players and watch all the event when not working there. I would ABSOLUTELY do it again. Go for it and if you don't like it then you don't hsve to do it again.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf...e-pga-championship-b99556213z1-321841001.html

I just ran the numbers and the PGA made $675K off it's volunteers. Wow. I'm in the wrong business.

Guess the $80 I paid for Farmers insurance volunteering wasn't worth it then? Guessing meeting and walking a round with Marc Leishman, Gary Woodland wasn't worth it. Watching them tear apart Torrey South, a course I just played yesterday, remembering how they played certain holes and wondering how the heck they do what they do wasn't worth it. I mean I guess i could have done the same, from the 3rd row of people by the green 20 yds away from the action for the price of admission on one day instead of 4 days.

A former co-worker who has volunteered at Augusta for something like 15 or 20 years implied that he could get me in there. After adding up the travel expense and loss of income from work I determined that the amount it would cost for 3 years, which is the minimum time before a free round is given, was far too much. I'm sure others would have jumped at that type of opportunity.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf...e-pga-championship-b99556213z1-321841001.html

I just ran the numbers and the PGA made $675K off it's volunteers. Wow. I'm in the wrong business.

How much of that entry fee is going right back to the volunteer though? At the tournaments I've volunteered for, I've always gotten a polo, some sort of outerwear depending on the weather, food and drink provided, as well as a round on that course later in the year. I've usually come across well ahead than not.

A former co-worker who has volunteered at Augusta for something like 15 or 20 years implied that he could get me in there. After adding up the travel expense and loss of income from work I determined that the amount it would cost for 3 years, which is the minimum time before a free round is given, was far too much. I'm sure others would have jumped at that type of opportunity.

Please forward my contact info his way. I'll make those numbers work :Angel:

i have had the opportunity to be a Committee Chair for volunteers at LPGA, Champion and Web.com events. I would highly recommend that you do volunteer. My first experience as a volunteer was as a hole marshal. I only did that once. Subsequently, I requested and was assigned to the practice area and what was called player assistance or transportation (for example, using a cart, I would drive a player to the parking lot or to the media center or where ever they wanted to go on premises). My chair experience was the practice area.

You will find that the professionals are great,accessable and appreciative of the volunteers. The most difficult day is the Pro-am day, and it is the amateurs that will cause any problems. I'm not sure how it will be at your venue, but in the events I volunteered, there was a volunteer party upon completion of the tournament and the course had a volunteer day where the volunteers got to play the course. As for being a Chair, it is much less than it sounds. However, you were not required to pay for your shirt and hat, was given a pass to a designated parking area and after a couple of pre-tournament meetings got to play the course in addition to the volunteer day..

It's normally local golf clubs in the area are asked to work on specific holes. That's the way it works here in Scotland when the opens on at muirfield anyway

Thanks for the replies everyone! I went to sign up and the positions I was most interested weren't available, but I may still do one of the others, the shot link one sounds like it could be fun.

I lived in Houston for 14 years and volunteered at the Shell Houston Open (Independent Insurance Agents Open) for 6 straight years when it was still at the TPC in The Woodlands. It was worth every penny to me, Got to walk with Curtis Strange the year he won his second US Open. It really gives you a different perspective of a tournament. And it shows really quickly who the good guys are out there and which ones aren't so nice to be around. I have been considering the Farmers myself but might volunteer for the LPGA KIA classic next year first. The volunteer fee also included a round of golf at the TPC course in Texas to bad they don't offer that here in CA.

Guess the $80 I paid for Farmers insurance volunteering wasn't worth it then? Guessing meeting and walking a round with Marc Leishman, Gary Woodland wasn't worth it. Watching them tear apart Torrey South, a course I just played yesterday, remembering how they played certain holes and wondering how the heck they do what they do wasn't worth it. I mean I guess i could have done the same, from the 3rd row of people by the green 20 yds away from the action for the price of admission on one day instead of 4 days.

Listen, we can go back and forth about why I'm against and you're for. If you enjoy it, go for it! I have my opinion on the matter, and you have yours. That's all there is to it.

From my research, this is the only pro sport that asks it's volunteers to pay for the privilege. The PGA Tour is a huge, money rich organization that can afford to not ask it's volunteers to pay to participate easily. I have a problem with that. You don't. That's cool. I've said my piece. Thanks.

Has anyone done this, and if so was it worth it? I've never been to a PGA event, but now that I'm living in San Diego I was considering volunteering at the Farmers Insursance Open at Torrey, however it means actually paying around $60 to do it, along with taking 1 or 2 days of work off. Seems like it could be fun though, if I could get one of the positions following a group, and not just sitting at a table somewhere handing out flyers or something.

I have done the Fedex St. Jude the last 2 years and loved it.

Don't you think with the amount of the purses, there shouldn't be a fee to get these things as a volunteer, though? It sounds like some of these tourneys are trying to break even on their "volunteers".

Well, the Fedex st. Jude is free to volunteer. St. Jude takes care of all of that

Please, Mr. NewGlfr, explain to me who owns the PGA Tour and retains all of the money that it is earning.

Are you kidding me???? Please go read about how corporations are run. Just because it's a not for profit, doesn't mean it doesn't make any money. Did you even read the Forbes article I linked?

Gentlemen. Please keep it civil or a moderator is going to come in here and make it civil.

At the end of the day, if a person wants to spend their money volunteering at an event because it makes them happy and they see the pros of doing it outweigh the cons of the cost, I'm all for it. It makes them happy and helps make events better.

I think it's time we stop this back and forth. And keep it civil.

Back