Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

So, I have only put in a couple of rounds on my Apex Pros, and with the wonderful Chicago winter, I'm still limited to the golf dome. However, I really do love these irons. Great looks and sound. Launch is very good, even with the long irons. In short, I'm thrilled with what it "appears" I'll be able to do with these.

I see some comments about the gap wedge. That might be the one club I'm not sure about, yet. Generally, I love set gap wedges. I have not hit this one very well, yet. Hoping to get a lot more work with it, outside, when the season turns.

I was a huge fan of these irons. They had an amazing feel and plenty of distance.

Just put my order in and cant wait to play 'em. Look awesome and have a softer feel than my current set of MP-63's. My numbers were identical on trackman so probably didn't need to purchase, but couldn't resist...

Not happened as much as I'd like, but the feeling when you get it perfectly out of the middle is to die for. Definitely keeps you coming back for more! Enjoy the clubs :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a quick update in the early season. Have played 3 rounds so far, with #4 coming tomorrow. These are performing very well for me, right now. The first 9 of the first round was garbage. Since then, though, I have had more realistic birdie opportunities in these few rounds than I can remember having over the course of the last half of 2014. And, have likely recorded nearly as many birdies as I made all of last season.

The only gripe I have is the finish... It looks fantastic, but has almost no durability. I'm a tad anal about that kind of thing, so have always used covers on the irons. That will help to satisfy my want to keep these looking good, but a little more durability on the finish would be nice in the next iteration.

Given the performance, I can't recommend these enough. I don't know when "new" prices will start falling, but I have seen better pricing on the used market. Give these a look if you're in the players cavity market, but also want a little help with launch and forgiveness.

The only gripe I have is the finish... It looks fantastic, but has almost no durability. I'm a tad anal about that kind of thing, so have always used covers on the irons. That will help to satisfy my want to keep these looking good, but a little more durability on the finish would be nice in the next iteration.

Given the performance, I can't recommend these enough. I don't know when "new" prices will start falling, but I have seen better pricing on the used market. Give these a look if you're in the players cavity market, but also want a little help with launch and forgiveness.

That was my only gripe with them. After 5 months they looked like I had owned them for 2 years.

That's a shame about the finish. I really wanted a set but it's been a very consistent complaint. I am weird about that kind of thing too. Well I take solace knowing that both Phil and I are still playing the 2013 X-Forged irons.

That's a shame about the finish. I really wanted a set but it's been a very consistent complaint. I am weird about that kind of thing too. Well I take solace knowing that both Phil and I are still playing the 2013 X-Forged irons.

If your interested in the Apex pro's but don't like the finish check out the Ping S55's. I found them to be very similar in performance.

The accuracy with the mid and short irons in these continues to blow me away.

I really really really really would like to find a set of these to tinker with for a bit. Its quite a massive urge for me right now.

Had another solid round with these irons. I really just don't see me giving these up anytime in the future. I can flight the ball how I want and still lose little distance. I am having no problems with the chipping/finish with these irons either.

Had another solid round with these irons. I really just don't see me giving these up anytime in the future. I can flight the ball how I want and still lose little distance. I am having no problems with the chipping/finish with these irons either.

You aren't helping! :alien:

I got my set this year and have 3 rds under my belt. The more I play them, the more I am impressed with them!. I got a CRAZY deal on Callaway preowned for a set of H45 heads (D3-4 SW). I paid $587.00 NEW for a 4-GW set and I picked up an Apex 4i as well. I love how easy they are to hit and I use the AW all the time for chipping/pitching. Its my go-to club!

I really really really really would like to find a set of these to tinker with for a bit. Its quite a massive urge for me right now.

They really are great clubs. I know you were an Apex fan - these are a really good "players CB" evolution, IMO. There is some forgiveness. There is some long-iron launch help with the tungsten (you love your tungsten). The sound/feel is different, IMO, because of the materials and construction (more on toe strikes than on sweetspot contact). I still have mine, and love them, with Nippon 1050s, to help with launch/spin in the long/mid irons. With those shafts, Smooth + Smooth = Smoooooth. OK, now I'm just exagerating.

I played my Apex this past weekend and saw these differences (all expected): A good bit more forgivness. Probably a half club distance gain (estimated - I have very few "full" swings I was taking). A little less spin hitting into the greens. A little less height (I'm chalking this up more to the differences in the shafts, and the fact that the Pros give me more spin).

You starting a Grandaddy ponder? I hope so! Can't wait to hear about the next gen of the Apex and Apex Pro.

Saw the new Apex and Apex pro this morning. Other than the Chrome on the Apex pro, I think they both took a step backwards in the looks department.

Looks like pics are starting to pop online. The rep that happened to be at the store when I was in didn't let me take any pics.

Saw the new Apex and Apex pro this morning. Other than the Chrome on the Apex pro, I think they both took a step backwards in the looks department.

I'm the opposite. I think newer apex looks better.

I do like how they incorporated the rubber into the design more, that is for sure. didnt like the cut out or indent or whatever you want to call it above the cavity on the back of the sole. I am sure (hope) there is a tech reason for it, but it just creates more going on. Definitely not as "simple" looking as the original.

I'd agree that this time around, the Apex is more visually appealing than the Apex Pro.

Regarding the Apex Pros, the word 'busy' comes to mind

I thought the apex pro looked sweet and just by the looks of it, it looks very forgiving. This could hurt my wallet :p

I disagree, and when you see them in person you may change your mind. The picture of the regular Apex is at a goofy angle and it looks really bulky. I cant see them going in that direction

I disagree, and when you see them in person you may change your mind. The picture of the regular Apex is at a goofy angle and it looks really bulky. I cant see them going in that direction

I saw them in person...

Back