BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Thanks. Any idea on best way to prep grills for initial burn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always give the grates a good coat of oil too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking solid CPL. Really become fond of a rub called Butt Rub we get at Costco. Its fantastic on pulled pork.
Is that Bad Byron's Butt Rub?

That's good stuff, but too salty IMO for use as a general-purpose rub. I made some *really* salty ribs once with a good coating of that stuff.

Is that Bad Byron's Butt Rub?

That's good stuff, but too salty IMO for use as a general-purpose rub. I made some *really* salty ribs once with a good coating of that stuff.

That is the stuff. I use it in small doses compared to covering with other rubs.
It has zero sugar, so it works for our purposes of the Fed Up Challenge.

That is the stuff. I use it in small doses compared to covering with other rubs.
It has zero sugar, so it works for our purposes of the Fed Up Challenge.
Yeah, it's bad for blood pressure but great for diabetes.

I've found if you mix it 50/50 with turbinado sugar it makes a good rib rub.

So this isn't going to suck.

3D149D1B-8BDC-4D20-B602-FFBF50568927.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Never done this before. Just put these in the smoker in hopes something edible comes out in 3 hours.

f6c5a7b5b665177fa04f94328dddb75a.jpg

Last week, I spent a lot of time making homemade pastrami. I should have taken pics because it's quite possibly the best thing that I've ever smoked.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Did ok I think

cbdf6eaa3318d5d688f46f125d831348.jpg

Looking good.

Was pretty dang tasty. Looks like the smoker is going to get more use.

We are in the market for a new gas grill (LP). Leaning towards a Weber but can't decide which model. Main needs are for quick meals for 2-4 people. Not sure if I need a sear option. If you have one, do you use it? The Genesis and Spirit series both seem to have what we need.

Besides Weber, what'd you suggest? I haven't bought a grill in a long time. The last one I got was based on Consumer Reports best feedback and that company went out of business a couple of years later.

We are in the market for a new gas grill (LP). Leaning towards a Weber but can't decide which model. Main needs are for quick meals for 2-4 people. Not sure if I need a sear option. If you have one, do you use it? The Genesis and Spirit series both seem to have what we need.

Besides Weber, what'd you suggest? I haven't bought a grill in a long time. The last one I got was based on Consumer Reports best feedback and that company went out of business a couple of years later.

bought the 3 burner Spirit this spring. it has been perfect for us (family of 4) and paying the extra money has been worth it in so many ways. The quality and ease of cooking on this thing has blown my mind. I am a believer.

bought the 3 burner Spirit this spring. it has been perfect for us (family of 4) and paying the extra money has been worth it in so many ways. The quality and ease of cooking on this thing has blown my mind. I am a believer.

Nice! Thank you for the info.

I just upgraded from the DigiQ temp controller to the CyberQ which uses WIFI. I can't wait to get this online and cooking.

I've got a 13lb brisket that's going in the smoker tonight. Maybe I will remember to take pictures this time.

Got the rub all put together this morning. I normally just do kosher salt and freshly ground pepper on briskets, but I decided to try something different this time.

Salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, cayenne, oregano and paprika. Came highly recommended, so I will try it out.

I had to separate the point and flat on the brisket so that it would fit in the smoker. The good thing about that is that the flat is at 165 degrees after 5 hours, the point is at 160 already. I was planning on 14ish hours in the smoker, but it may actually finish up early if it doesn't stall too much.

Still waiting on pics^^^^

:)

I have a Genesis with the sear feature. I do use it though I'm not sure it really does much.

Don't want to hijack this thread if it's not the right one. When I did a search for Kamado, this is what came up. Is this the thread, or is there another one, that talks about the different smokers/grills out there? I'm looking at a Kamado, or a pellet fed smoker/grill. Done some research, but I remember reading some posts on this site so I thought I'd get some feedback or get on the right thread. I did find one "Black Olive Kamado" that is actually pellet fed so I'm thinking I may get that for the best of both worlds. Thoughts?

Don't want to hijack this thread if it's not the right one. When I did a search for Kamado, this is what came up. Is this the thread, or is there another one, that talks about the different smokers/grills out there? I'm looking at a Kamado, or a pellet fed smoker/grill. Done some research, but I remember reading some posts on this site so I thought I'd get some feedback or get on the right thread. I did find one "Black Olive Kamado" that is actually pellet fed so I'm thinking I may get that for the best of both worlds. Thoughts?

I have a WSM and a Traegar Pellet grill. The Weber is my smoker at my GF's house and I bought the Traegar for my place (which I am not at during weekends). I get more smoke with my Weber if that is something you're looking for. I'm sure you can add more smoke to a pellet grill if you want that. Pellet smokers are more convenient and easier to keep the temps constant. I just wanted a charcoal smoker which is why I went with the Weber.

Here is a great place to ask questions about smokers and smoking: http://smokingmeat.com

Read a review about the pellet fed black olive. Tends to leave soot on the food,yuck. And hot spots. Surprised at that. I'll check out that link. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Read a review about the pellet fed black olive. Tends to leave soot on the food,yuck. And hot spots. Surprised at that. I'll check out that link. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Most of the guys running the ceramic Kamado style units report an easy 12+ hours burn time on a load of lump charcoal. Not sure if the insulated steel units can match that but they still have plenty of burn time.

Besides, with Texas in your handle aren't you supposed to buy a welder and build your own smoker?

Back