Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood - THP Preview Thead

I hit this last night at Golf Galaxy, face was responsive! Loved the feel of it. Was going to get the GBB 3w this week, but may need to do some more testing to make sure it's exactly what I want. I was hoping I didn't like the feel of the 816 , threw a wrench into my plans!

I hit this last night at Golf Galaxy, face was responsive! Loved the feel of it. Was going to get the GBB 3w this week, but may need to do some more testing to make sure it's exactly what I want. I was hoping I didn't like the feel of the 816 , threw a wrench into my plans!

did you hit them side by side last night?

Took a quick few swings with the 16° with rogue IO 70 stiff. I actually had better results with weight forward. Not any improvement for me over my xr that jumped out at me though

Kang that XR 4 wood is a monster for you. I don't know how you could improve on it. I think the fairway woods in your bag are set. I have one of these in 14 on the way with the Oban Isawa Red 75x. I will do a review as soon as I get some rounds under my belt.

did you hit them side by side last night?

I did.
They have the drivers out for test too, but I'm happy with my X2 Hot Pro at the moment.

I have ordered my 816 16*. Plan to play it at 15* which should give me a little more open face. Really excited about the rogue shaft in this and the just slightly shorter club length on the 16* model.

My 16* came in today. Didn't get a chance to take swings with it but based on some swings with a 14* last week I'm excited to get it in play

I have ordered my 816 16*. Plan to play it at 15* which should give me a little more open face. Really excited about the rogue shaft in this and the just slightly shorter club length on the 16* model.
1st thing I did with mine was drop it down to 15* for the slightly open face. Oh my, you were right!

1st thing I did with mine was drop it down to 15* for the slightly open face. Oh my, you were right!

Yep it's funny how the adapters open as you go down in loft. That's the whole reason I didn't go with the 14 and raise it to 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep it's funny how the adapters open as you go down in loft. That's the whole reason I didn't go with the 14 and raise it to 15.

It's not much, but it seemed to help in my BB with my hooksies off the tee. Off the deck it was a controlled cut. Man, I really need to get out there and put it thru it's paces. Deans review got me jacked, so I'm ready to see what he sees in it for me.

It's not much, but it seemed to help in my BB with my hooksies off the tee. Off the deck it was a controlled cut. Man, I really need to get out there and put it thru it's paces. Deans review got me jacked, so I'm ready to see what he sees in it for me.

Sometimes just the slight appearance change at address makes all the difference in the world. I'm really exited to get mine in. I loved the rogue in my driver before I got my handcrafted and I'm really looking forward to it in a 3 wood.

Finally got to the range today to test this bad boy out. I got this as a club between my Bridgestone J15 5w and my driver. It will be used only off the deck on those holes where I need a little more distance than my 5w and I can roll it up a little closer or on the greens with no trouble in front (which every hole at my home course I'd use it on is clear in the front). I went with the 16* because I liked being able to go down to 15* and it has a slightly smaller head(almost same size as the J15 5w) than a normal 3w which I like. I just bought a small bucket of balls and used my 4h to warm up for a few then a few with my 5w to gauge distance and then the 816. I was seeing a lower more penetrating flight than my 5w with just a little more carry and more roll out. This is what I wanted. I wasn't expecting mind blowing gains but enough to pull it out when needed. I struggle bad with my FW, I either duff them or hit them solid it seems and this club was no different. Towards the end of the bucket I got in a groove and was hitting a nice consistent fade with the 816. I had it setup at 16* and neutral with the 16g weight in the back, Tour Green reg shaft. Next time out I may try putting it up to 17* to see what that does to my flight. The face felt great on contact with a nice sound, nothing harsh. There was a few balls with both clubs that I thought I hit great and they came up like 20yds shorter but I'm chalking that up to bad range balls. I'll add pics but as you can see my miss is towards the toe and although I did lose some distance I didn't think it was super drastic for a poor strike. Also on those poor strikes even with the loss of distance the ball stayed on path which to me is huge. It will probably be the weekend before I can hit this again, hoping to get out on the course and see what really happens. Overall, I'm happy with the 816 and my results.

J15 5w next to 816 16*
ce71c0ce063d0b1adf8cbcdfb7670792.jpg

816 face with about 17 hits on it
e367913e2bf3635438ed3c14d885f4ab.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

In a matter of days I'll have mine in hand and I'm going to install hzrdus yellow 75g 6.5 in it. Cannot wait!

In a matter of days I'll have mine in hand and I'm going to install hzrdus yellow 75g 6.5 in it. Cannot wait!

sounds like a good combo to me.

sounds like a good combo to me.
I'm hoping so. The 65g black is ridiculously good in driver so hopefully the 75g yellow is just as good in the 4w.

This just continues to be a weapon for me. And now from the fairway it's even better.

After some debate I decided to install the yellow hzrdus 75g 6.5 in the 4w. If it performs anything like the black 65g 6.5 I have in driver, it will be awesome!
22b44d1056c19c7656aa1277d9f98fad.jpg
7cf091466f0e87f73b89b6675443321f.jpg

That yellow is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yup. That is it. This thing will have to be pulled from my cold, dead hands. Off the deck twice with spectacular results today, including holding a green from 245 out from a lie in the rough. Off the tee this thing was just a missile with 3/3 fairways hit and filthy long, only about 20 yards behind jdtox's absolutely clobbered drives. Dean told me this thing would be great for me, but I had no idea it would be this good this quickly. The man knows his stuff and Callaway hit a home run with this thing for me.

Edit: I will also post in the review thread and use that from this point forward. Mods can do with this what they will.

I apologize as I'm sure this question has been asked, but how is the performance compared to last year's model. Not sure if I wanna save some cash and get last year's, or snag the new one.

Back