Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood - THP Preview Thead

Nice Dean! That is impressive. Did you notice much difference between weight front vs back off the tee?

Nice Dean! What was the ball flight off the tee with the heavier weight in the back?
To be honest not really. Was only 1 swing with it set like that though and from an elevated tee. Will keep an eye out for it tomorrow. Jenn walked the round with me, she said it looked flatter to her. Now these were the 2 that I hit, the one on the right was back weight and the left was front weight. Contact was similar, just on the toe side of center. Left ball carried say 3-5 yards farther. Might not look it, but yes that is the fairway and both are in perfect shape(and I hate that tee shot).

43473708ec5b569160a5c8d60880ae98.jpg

Thanks Dean. Nice work man, loving these updates. My wallet, however, isn't.

With the 815 fw changing the weights didn't do much for me as far as launch or peak height (visually). But the weight back seemed to be more forgiving (more MOI? ). Wonder if the 816 will be same

I like it ddec! Good sound to it! Thanks for getting that sound and video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it ddec! Good sound to it! Thanks for getting that sound and video!

No problem, it's what I'm here for! Sound is good. Haven't noticed a ton of audible feedback, but there is just enough to know if you are missing laterally on the face. I'm going to take some more in the next day or 2 with the weight in the front so you guys can tell for yourselves if there is much difference.

thanks dean. sound is good and if providing feedback on where the hit is thats even better.

I like that sound. Kinda hard to tell, but it sounds very similar to the VSeries. One thing about that one is its not a loud tinny sound and this one seems to be similar.

A night this week(or range time) or Saturday AM. Have a flight to catch Sunday AM.
Nice. I'll hit you up when I get home and check my calendars.

What a beautiful fairway wood. Callaway is knocking it out of the park with the looks department of the 816 like of woods.

Love Love Love the weighting system. Reminds me of a modern version of the Z-Star weight system from a few years ago. Easier to use and I believe will be more effective too. Looking forward to Ddec's thoughts on this one.

This was exactly my thought. Awesome system to upgrade.

this club has gotten quite a bit of play in the last 3-4 days. Here are a few things I am seeing out of it.

For what was talked about being a compact head, it really does not appear to be. Maybe that's the finish of the crown or just how clean it is with no alignment aid, but it just appears to be a rather good sized head.

Callaway mentions the sole design that allows it be played from a variety of lies, I can certainly attest to that. So far I have played this club off the tee, fairway, and rough. As well as with the ball above and below my feet. The latter is a shot I always struggle with, but in my testing this club still helps get the ball get up in the air. From fairway lies, I really like how the ball flies off this club. With the weight in the back position I see a nice mid to high ball flight. Switching the weights around, to my naked eye I do not notice a much flatter flight, although I believe that a LM would show that it comes off slightly lower.

During the testing of this I have pretty much abandoned the driver off the tee in favor of this. Distance is really strong off the tee and the flight is higher for me than off the deck.

Another quick note on the weights. While I did not notice much change in flight from my perspective, the club felt a little different. Not sure exactly how to explain, but it felt more solid with the heavy weight up towards the front. Almost like it was a heavier impact(if that makes sense to anyone).

Comments about the head seem to reflect the experiences of the 815 as well, which is an absolute machine.

How's the face when you miss away from the center? Forgiving at all in terms of retained distance?

Another quick note on the weights. While I did not notice much change in flight from my perspective, the club felt a little different. Not sure exactly how to explain, but it felt more solid with the heavy weight up towards the front. Almost like it was a heavier impact(if that makes sense to anyone).

This is really interesting. Did you notice a change in sound at impact when weights are moved?

Great stuff Dean. Interesting thoughts on the feel change with the weight change. Did it produce any different sound? Was it noticed on similar shots off the tee or the deck?

The weight up front making a heavier impact feel makes sense, and very similar to what I experienced with the 815. It still throws a punch, but one shifted their weight forward vs the other hanging back, if that makes sense.

What would you say you've had struggles with so far with it, if any?

This might be my favorite in terms of looks in the 816 line. Great stuff, ddec.

Comments about the head seem to reflect the experiences of the 815 as well, which is an absolute machine.

How's the face when you miss away from the center? Forgiving at all in terms of retained distance?

really good actually. Basing off good swings, misses out towards the toe side seem to produce shots that keep balls on a similar target line and distance is not punishing at all. Better with weight in the back but still good with it forward.

This is really interesting. Did you notice a change in sound at impact when weights are moved?

slightly deeper sound to me.

really good actually. Basing off good swings, misses out towards the toe side seem to produce shots that keep balls on a similar target line and distance is not punishing at all. Better with weight in the back but still good with it forward.

In the last couple Callaway offerings (like most offerings), the more I hit on the toe, the more I produced a sweeping draw/hook. Will be very interesting to see if that distance-from-center is improved to avoid a turn like that with the 816.

Very interesting and something I love to see when testing clubs. When moving weights that are "interior" I love to be able to alter the sound. It gives me that feeling like "Well that did something".

Doc Hock mentioned that they wanted to create a bigger sized head over the previous iteration to help improve stability. "Standard fairway and easy to hit size". Also their most forgiving FW in their lineup. I am barely hitting my 3 wood in a round, otherwise I'd definitely check this one out.

Back