Any component club users out there?

I think that component clubs are every bit as good or better than the OEM stuff out there and I honestly can't see myself going "name brand" again unless it's for something truly unique.

-JP

The bottom line is that I can't really say that components are better or worse than OEM's, but if a club does what I want it to do and it feels and looks good doing it, what difference does it make where it comes from?

-JP

I agree with the last statement completely, however it is completely different than the one you posted previously, which is why I asked.

Obviously, component clubs can't compete with the big R&D budgets of the likes of TM, Cally, Ping, etc.. That's where components have to copy or emulate the technology they see that is working for the OEM's. After a while there are just so many things OEM's can do to a club that will enhance its performance, so maybe the components are a year behind. Given the OEM's big budgets for R&D, (can you say marketing) they certainly have produced some very noticeable flops and still felt very comfortable bringing them to market for us chumps(me) to spend our $$ on. Clubs that come to mind are Cally's ERC series,and a square head 7W I had that was absolutely dead. Given the disparity in budgets, I would expect significantly more from the OEM's than they are delivering, seems like they are always holding something back for the next generation of offerings. So, yeah, they are better, but given the $$ they expend, not better enough as they could be.

I agree with the last statement completely, however it is completely different than the one you posted previously, which is why I asked.

Well, let's just say that my first statement was more about how I personally feel while my second statement is more factual.

-JP

Obviously the R&D of big oem companies will always trounce components. but maybe for a hacker like me its hard to tell the difference. A big point is the cost of advertising & marketing an oem company has to spend where the component does not. That difference is reflected in the much lower cost of the component. I tend to buy oem stuff that is already 2 years old because my budget doesn't allow brand new model year gear. maybe some day if/when my golf game is good enough to justify the higher cost I will see a difference. I guess I just don't buy into all the hype that is produced every year for the latest greatest technology.

I know there are a couple of fans on THP. JPsuff built his own irons using Snake Eyes heads, 600C IIRC. I've seen pics of the Snake Eyes heads and they look great.

I am currently gaming that same head with True Temper X100 shafts. I believe that they are great...I am just using component on my irons but not on my driver. Taylormade R9 is the truth as far as drivers are concerned IMO.

China you think you could post a pic comparison? I'm assuming as they are clones, distance/accuracy is virtually the same?

I imagine if you got some quality components and had them built by a clubfitter you'd problely be just as happy with their performance as some oem off the rack club/s

I just got back into the game (last year) after a 14 year lay-off. I bought a set of Ping G-10's and have since dropped my HC down to a 7. I felt it was time to get a set of "serious" clubs. BUT my biggest problem is that I am hesitant on buying a "serious" set for 1k and not doing well with it. I'm goofy that way. When buying wall paper, I don't know if I will like it until I see it on the wall. With clubs, I can't tell exactly by just using them at the simulator.
I looked at the Mizuno's and Nike's but eventually decided on getting a set of Maltby F2 Tricepts. They have a blade look but they have a Maltby rating of 550 whereas the Mizunos are rated at 350-390.

For $300, I figured I could try them and see how well I do with them and if I can't hit them well, then $300 is not too much of an investment. If I do like them, then I might keep them or then step up to getting an OEM. If I do get OEM afterwards, I would at least have some more confidence in my purchase.

They are arriving today so I will keep you informed.

Wait, are G10s not serious clubs?

Wait, are G10s not serious clubs?

I don't consider them "serious" since they come under the title of "Super Game Improvement" with a Maltby rating of 805. When I talk "Serious", I'm speaking of (in my opinion) the more conventional or classic irons.

I don't consider them "serious" since they come under the title of "Super Game Improvement" with a Maltby rating of 805. When I talk "Serious", I'm speaking of (in my opinion) the more conventional or classic irons.

Different topic for different thread obviously, but I think that a lot of people feel this way. That good players or serious players should not use GI clubs.

China you think you could post a pic comparison? I'm assuming as they are clones, distance/accuracy is virtually the same?

2e6fq53.jpg

nm0mex.jpg

ok...so they're not identical now that I look at the real ones...I never used the TM R7 irons so I cannot compare them.

I often wonder about components as someone that has tested most. When someone says that components are as good or better? Why? Outside of cost, they lack the R&D investment to compete. If they had that, they would not be components anymore. Surely there are very good component clubs, but I often relate it to the story of just a little late. They are usually 1 year or 2 behind the OEM clubs in terms of innovation and technology. Nothing wrong with that of course, because new does not always mean better. But look at it from the other side. If the component companies were producing top notch gear year after year that was as good or better than the OEMs out there, wouldnt they be OEMs?

Outside of cost, I cannot find a competing factor that makes them better. As good in some cases yes, but better, I just dont see it, and I have hit just about all of them at one time or another.

Many component clubs are just as good as Major Oem's.It's advertising dollars that hold them back.For the good one's,anyhow.Sure,there are component companies that just make stuff with nothing special.

Geek's drivers are great.
Nakashima's drivers and irons are fantastic.
Kzg's irons are very nice
Wishon stuff are really nice as well.
SMt makes some really nice stuff.Haven't tried their irons,no LH.
Alpha drivers are very Hot.Super stuff

Many component clubs are just as good as Major Oem's.It's advertising dollars that hold them back.For the good one's,anyhow.Sure,there are component companies that just make stuff with nothing special.

Geek's drivers are great.
Nakashima's drivers and irons are fantastic.
Kzg's irons are very nice
Wishon stuff are really nice as well.
SMt makes some really nice stuff.Haven't tried their irons,no LH.
Alpha drivers are very Hot.Super stuff

If you read my previous posts, I agree with you. I said it in that post as well. Some are just as good.

However we have had the Geek.com driver in both of our last shoot outs and it failed to deliver in monitor numbers compared to others. The folks at the Spring outing also got a chance to use it and felt the same way. Not a bad driver, but not at the high end in my opinion with the others I have tested it against based solely on numbers.

I do disagree with it being only advertising dollars. They play a large role, but R&D plays just as big a role. Look at Nickent for example, they were a component company. When they made the shift to OEM their advertising dollars did not increase (according to them). Their R&D budget increased and hence they believe they made better equipment because of it.

Same goes for Adams Golf.They were garbage for many years,then Tom Watson's help boost that company by changing R&D.Adams had 3 people in that department,Thet now have well over 30..Huge jump

I feel the geek head isn't to to hot with your demo is cause these heads are very low spin type heads and may not be right for everyone. Could be a simple fix as just a shaft change?

I feel the geek head isn't to to hot with your demo is cause these heads are very low spin type heads and may not be right for everyone. Could be a simple fix as just a shaft change?

Low spin is what every one of our low handicappers wanted in the shoot out. Yet it finished in the bottom half of almost every category for those same golfers.

Low spin is what every one of our low handicappers wanted in the shoot out. Yet it finished in the bottom half of almost every category for those same golfers.

Like I said,too low spin more then likely.Too many feel Low spin is what they need,sure with the right launch angle low spin would work wonders.Geek heads can't be bought off the rack and perform well.They require fittings to obtain optimal numbers. Just the other month I fitted a guy into a geek head and a matix studio shaft and as of saturday,he claims it's still in the bag and the supertri is up for sale.

They do perform well,just they do require shaft fittings to achieve ones goal.

Like I said,too low spin more then likely.Too many feel Low spin is what they need,sure with the right launch angle low spin would work wonders.Geek heads can't be bought off the rack and perform well.They require fittings to obtain optimal numbers. Just the other month I fitted a guy into a geek head and a matix studio shaft and as of saturday,he claims it's still in the bag and the supertri is up for sale.

They do perform well,just they do require shaft fittings to achieve ones goal.

Our of curiosity, why do you not play any component clubs? Why not play the Geek over teh Taylormade? My thinking is that you too have tried both out and came to the conclusion that the Taylormade works better for you. Well, the people in our shoot out (almost all 24 of them) felt the same way. As we said before, nothing wrong with any of the drivers out there, but to me and to the testers we have used they are not all created equally either.

By the way, one of the Geek (DCT) heads I have here is custom fit for me and it still gets outperformed with my swing by quite a few of them.

I own an Alpha head and play it often.I buy TM stuff cause I can buy cheaper then many of the component stuff.I even own a nakashima driver.If it was 10.5,it might still be in the bag.I just don't achieve the right launch with it.
I'd still be gaming the KZG irons if my miura's werent that much better even worth double the price

Different topic for different thread obviously, but I think that a lot of people feel this way. That good players or serious players should not use GI clubs.
JB, I think there are more than a few players on tour using GI clubs. For example,

Rocco Mediate was playing the X-22s.
Ryan Moore: EZ-1s (at least a few tournaments ago)
KJ Choi: G15s (Chris Riley and Garret Willis).
Tim Herron: Eye2s.
Zach Johnson had an AP1 710 4-iron earlier this year.
JM Singh: Fusion irons last year, Diablos now.
Trevor Immelman: Nike Victory Red full cavity (at Quail Hollow).

JB, I think there are more than a few players on tour using GI clubs. For example,

Rocco Mediate was playing the X-22s.
Ryan Moore: EZ-1s (at least a few tournaments ago)
KJ Choi: G15s (Chris Riley and Garret Willis).
Tim Herron: Eye2s.
Zach Johnson had an AP1 710 4-iron earlier this year.
JM Singh: Fusion irons last year, Diablos now.
Trevor Immelman: Nike Victory Red full cavity (at Quail Hollow).

I agree and know that completely. Although according to the Darrell Surveys of late they have some different info.
Immelman plays splits
ZJ played AP2s last tourny
Ryan Moore playing EZ-1 - DEFINITELY a players cavity and not GI
Herron had a totally mixed bag.

I have been saying that for a year on this site. What I was saying is that most believe that serious golfers play non-GI clubs. I mean just last month I believe you said that your players clubs were more forgiving than GIs. But then you switched to GIs. I believe that golfers should play with the club that offers the maximum forgiveness that their swing and game can handle.

EDIT: I think the issue is about perception, not whether or not it is right for people. In our last issue of the magazine, Hoeffy (who makes both) talked about why people choose the clubs they do. When we interviewed Immelman at the PGA Show, we asked him the same question and he had the same answer as Hoeffy. Its a common trend, but misconception especially by amateurs plays a large role in their bag. It really should come down completely to what works best for the individual.

Last edited:
More updates This from the last Darrell Survey they played in.

JM Singh - Diablo Edge Forged rather than just Edge
Willis- R7 TP

I agree and know that completely. Although according to the Darrell Surveys of late they have some different info.
Immelman plays splits
ZJ played AP2s last tourny
Ryan Moore playing Scratch protos
Herron had a totally mixed bag.

I have been saying that for a year on this site. What I was saying is that most believe that serious golfers play non-GI clubs. I mean just last month I believe you said that your players clubs were more forgiving than GIs. But then you switched to GIs. I believe that golfers should play with the club that offers the maximum forgiveness that their swing and game can handle.

EDIT: I think the issue is about perception, not whether or not it is right for people. In our last issue of the magazine, Hoeffy (who makes both) talked about why people choose the clubs they do. When we interviewed Immelman at the PGA Show, we asked him the same question and he had the same answer as Hoeffy. Its a common trend, but misconception especially by amateurs plays a large role in their bag. It really should come down completely to what works best for the individual.
Moore will go back and forth depending upon the tournament. On another forum Ari will post what Ryan is playing in the tournament that week. Some would consider the AP2 a GI club, but that's neither here nor there. The point is you really don't see "pure" blades anymore. There are muscle backs and CBs but not the butter knives in days of old

Not to belabor the obvious, but ultimately the game is about how many strokes it takes to get the ball in the hole. The scorecard doesn't care what's in a golfer's bag. Some, however, feel one is not playing golf unless he is playing with "blades".

However, and you would know better than me, despite the new technology the average golf score is still around 100, and the average drive is still around 200 yards. I think technology can help, to a point. One still has to be able to swing the golf club. :)

A golfer with a decent swing can take advantage of the new technology. And that holds true for professionals as well, which is why I think you see more and more of them playing GI clubs.

ps: as to the CB2s I had...they were surprisingly harsh for a forged club. Maybe that was just me.

Moore will go back and forth depending upon the tournament. On another forum Ari will post what Ryan is playing in the tournament that week. Some would consider the AP2 a GI club, but that's neither here nor there. The point is you really don't see "pure" blades anymore. There are muscle backs and CBs but not the butter knives in days of old

Not to belabor the obvious, but ultimately the game is about how many strokes it takes to get the ball in the hole. The scorecard doesn't care what's in a golfer's bag. Some, however, feel one is not playing golf unless he is playing with "blades".

However, and you would know better than me, despite the new technology the average golf score is still around 100, and the average drive is still around 200 yards. I think technology can help, to a point. One still has to be able to swing the golf club. :)

A golfer with a decent swing can take advantage of the new technology. And that holds true for professionals as well, which is why I think you see more and more of them playing GI clubs.

ps: as to the CB2s I had...they were surprisingly harsh for a forged club. Maybe that was just me.

Agree 100% with a lot of it. Blades are being phased out as we have noted in the past. Many of the top companies are not even producing them anymore. I do not think that most of what is being played is GI though. I consider most a players cavity. Especially the AP1s and Ryans choice of irons.

On another note, I am reviewing the CB2s right now and have the EXACT same feeling as you do.

Agree 100% with a lot of it. Blades are being phased out as we have noted in the past. Many of the top companies are not even producing them anymore. I do not think that most of what is being played is GI though. I consider most a players cavity. Especially the AP1s and Ryans choice of irons.

On another note, I am reviewing the CB2s right now and have the EXACT same feeling as you do.
I thought maybe it was just me. I hit them well, but I just couldn't get over how harsh they felt, which surprised me because of the "vibration absorbing cavity design". My cast Pings feel much better. Go figure. I look forward to reading your full review.

Back on topic. :)

Back