Weight transfer while staying behind the ball...

Chase

Pro V1 Kenobi
Reaction score
Handicap
Going up
This is a question for Freddy but all advice is welcome...

I find that when I lose focus I tend to lunge at the ball and while I get my weight forward I lose my spine tilt. I am struggling to find my feel on weight transfer while staying behind the ball.

Any advice?

Are you referring to driver or all clubs. For me I don't truned stay behind the ball except with driver.

I focus on "trying to cover the ball" and getting to,my left side without swaying. I think of being in a box and try to in the box.

Yeah, for me it's all shots.

I want to keep my spine tilt and hit the ball on the way up with my driver of course, but I also seem to strike the ball really well with irons when I stay behind the ball. When I lunge, I get some extreme forward press and really compress the ball in to the ground and it sends it out low.

I'm interested here. I have no problem with wedges and irons, getting to my left side. I have troubles with the long sticks.

I'm trying to get this fixed as well.

With driver I have a spine tilt towards my back leg...think reverse k and I rotate around keeping weight on the inside of my back leg, then start the down swing with my lower half using a smooth tempo so that I don't linger at the ball or get out ahead of myself. I use a one one thousand two count for my tempo reminder.

for iron shots I try not to have the same spine tilt but I try to keep same tempo and movement.

Im sure freddie will touch on it more

Hmmmm, this is a good one. You lunge at the ball?! So is this lunge toward the ball, closing the distance between your body and the ball. Or is this a lunge out in front of the ball, effectively changing your swing path?

This thread interests me as well.

Hmmmm, this is a good one. You lunge at the ball?! So is this lunge toward the ball, closing the distance between your body and the ball. Or is this a lunge out in front of the ball, effectively changing your swing path?

Definitely out in front of the ball. I guess my tendency is to lose my spine tilt away from the target and my upper body goes with my lower body forward.

sounds like the lateral shift is just too big, and needs to be dialed back. there's a slight bump of the target side hip toward the target, but a slide is a difficult thing to manage and leads to lots of other issues. there are swing models built around such a slide, but i think conventional wisdom is a small bump then an opening of the lead hip while the spine angle is maintained.

Definitely out in front of the ball. I guess my tendency is to lose my spine tilt away from the target and my upper body goes with my lower body forward.
So your shoulder go from having some tilt to level as you slide in front of the ball. This is common and can be fixed. What you are doing to trying to stay behind the ball but you are a stopping your rotation.

My guess is that you are not turning deep enough. You really have to try to turn the left shoulder behind the ball upon takeaway. Make sure you are starting the down swing with the lower body. If you do this, the upper will follow. More importantly this will drop the club down toward the right hip. All that is left is continue to.swing the club and allow your rotation to complete. Everything should rotate as ypur head remains behind the ball.

So your shoulder go from having some tilt to level as you slide in front of the ball. This is common and can be fixed. What you are doing to trying to stay behind the ball but you are a stopping your rotation.

My guess is that you are not turning deep enough. You really have to try to turn the left shoulder behind the ball upon takeaway. Make sure you are starting the down swing with the lower body. If you do this, the upper will follow. More importantly this will drop the club down toward the right hip. All that is left is continue to.swing the club and allow your rotation to complete. Everything should rotate as ypur head remains behind the ball.

What are your thoughts on pre-setting the shoulders closed, or even the entire setup/feet, to ensure that full shoulder turn and contact on the ball from the inside?

So your shoulder go from having some tilt to level as you slide in front of the ball.

Yes, exactly!

Awesome dude, I am going to focus on that lead shoulder.

What are your thoughts on pre-setting the shoulders closed, or even the entire setup/feet, to ensure that full shoulder turn and contact on the ball from the inside?
I think this is good method to do away with slicing the ball. I also think it leads to OTT moves when the issue has more to do with lack of turn and release. If you have an issue turning behind the ball, setting up closed will only point you further right. The proper rotation still isn't being achieved

I know it varies by individual's swing but for you what ball flight do you see with that?

I know it varies by individual's swing but for you what ball flight do you see with that?

In the past when I tried it I got mixed results, but predominantly my normal block/push. However, I posed video a while back of my swing and even though I was dropping my right foot to close my stance, Freddie pointed out that my shoulders where still open causing mixed problems.

I tried it again last night in two forms. Some of the time I kept the feet square and closed the shoulders and some of the time I closed the complete stance while ensuring the shoulders were closed as well. I got the most consistent results from the having the entire body closed (but the right/rear foot only slightly dropped back - not a lot). The ball flight I was seeing was relatively straight with a slight draw. Which is big for me since before I would hit big pushes and really have to try to shut down the face to get a big push-draw before that was only reliable some of the time.

All that being said, I tend to fix one thing and screw something else up. So it may not work for me next time I hit the range/course. But I will stick with it a little longer to see how it works for me in the long run.

I'm going out Saturday and will be focusing on getting my lead shoulder to turn more behind the ball. Will report back on my progress.

Back