Oppressed by SkyGolf

Chorister

Reaction score
The Man is keeping me down. I renewed my SkyCaddie subscription last month and have the receipt for it, but in the middle of the round today the unit told me it was deactivating because I hadn't renewed! So now I've been "on hold" for 45 minutes with SkyGolf's support chat session, with a new message telling me how important I am to them coming up every 3 minutes or so. I might have to tell them to stuff it and refund my money, then go get that nice Garmin instead. No subscription fees there...

Or a Bushnell Tour V2 rangefinder. Point and shoot. No computers, no fees.

I used skycaddie for 2 years before my last contract ended and I am not sure I will ever go back to them. Same issues you are experiencing and CS that just did not seem to care. Because unlike other units, if you cancel, your GPS is a brick.

Before you get the Garmin be sure to read up on the reviews. I've heard there are issues with the Garmins. Sorry to hear about your new brick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or a Bushnell Tour V2 rangefinder. Point and shoot. No computers, no fees.

You forgot no doglegs.

Before you get the Garmin be sure to read up on the reviews. I've heard there are issues with the Garmins. Sorry to hear about your new brick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not get the highest marks from us, that is for sure.

You forgot no doglegs.

Did not get the highest marks from us, that is for sure.

I've liked the rangefinder idea, but SkyCaddie has all the info about distance to carry hazards, layup yardage to the hazard info, etc. That's awfully handy.

Okay, now I gotta go find the site's GPS reviews. My brother sent me his SkyCaddie when I started playing again so he would have an excuse to get the Garmin. He likes it, he says. What's better than SkyCaddie? Smartphone apps don't cut it, from what I've read. Too slow, plus guys who use them complain about battery life.

Il take no dog legs over not dealing with updates and fees anyday lol

No fees for quite a few GPS units. GG has not had to do any updates on her Upro at all.

I wont get this into a GPS vs Rangefinder in this thread, because I use both.

But a Bushnell V2 is not right for everybody. At our home course it struggles on 6 holes due to doglegs and blind shots.

No fees for quite a few GPS units. GG has not had to do any updates on her Upro at all.

I wont get this into a GPS vs Rangefinder in this thread, because I use both.

But a Bushnell V2 is not right for everybody. At our home course it struggles on 6 holes due to doglegs and blind shots.

Ya i know, but my ranges dont have accurate yardage markers so i use it for that and i practice alot at home to so it just fits me better but like you said its not for everyone, just happens to be right up my alley.

Update: Finally got through to SkyCaddie support and they say all is now well. We shall see. I've got an early tee time tomorrow, so I'll know by 8:00.

But they didn't apologize.

I think I learned about FreeCaddie on here. I've got it on my phone and love it...$15 for the pro version and that's it, no annual fees or anything. Comparing distances, I was about 2 yards off from my friend's SkyCaddie, which is more than tolerable for me.

Wow...unfortunate about your skycaddie problems.
I've had mine for just over 2 years, with no complaints at all.
Hopefully they've got it straightened out for you.

I use "Mycaddie Pro" on my Iphone and I love it. It's not the best , but the pros outweight the cons for me.
Pros:
1. It was free (no Start up cost, no memberships, expcept for the $300 iphone. So not EXACTLY free)
2. You install the courses yourself. (Company's website : ImakePars.com, has link to google maps and you lay down the markers you want. The phone is really just telling you how far you are from these markers that you lay and name. 14th Green back edge, 12 hole right bunker, clear hazard distance, etc etc. Some might not like this do it yourself attitude but I love it.)
3. Stat tracker (score, Gir, sand saves, Fairwayrs hit etc etc)
4. Accurate* Compared to friends bushnell laser and was consistenyl within 2 yards(+/-)

Cons:
1. Battery life. Not as bad as people claim for me. However you will be losing 25-50% battery life for 1 - 4 hour round of golf. you can save some battery life if you put the phone into screen saver mode between shots BUT see my CONS # 3. (most battery life i've lost is 75% but was playing alone and using the ipod feature at the same time. Had the phone sitting in the cart blasting music as loud as it could go. Loud enought for me but no one else on course can hear it)
2. Stat Tracking (Can only keep track of one person's stats and scores.....)
3. Accuracy* as mentioned in Pros the acuracy is pretty accurate HOWEVER whenever you come out of screen saver mode the GPS is way off for a good 30 secs. Screen saver mode shuts off the gps, so when you unlock your phone and go back into the GPS app, it takes a little bit for the phone to get "zeroed in". This could lead to disasterous mis yardages. (Example: Walk up to your ball in fairway, whip phone out and take screen saver off. First yardage given is 999+ yards, that aint right. 5 seconds later it says 170. Put the phone down and yank out 7 iron. Fly the ball 20 yards PAST green. Walk back to cart re-check phone it now says 152.) This zeroing in can be a problem but as long as you know what it's doing you'll only make the misclub mistake once.

Wow...unfortunate about your skycaddie problems.
I've had mine for just over 2 years, with no complaints at all.
Hopefully they've got it straightened out for you.

Thanks, looks like they got their thumb out. Other than this, I can't really complain about anything with them.

I use "Mycaddie Pro" on my Iphone and I love it. It's not the best , but the pros outweight the cons for me.
*SNIP*

You know, I thought about something like this, or GolfLogix, but then I decided I just didn't want my iPhone out on the course. I think I'd rather pay an annual fee and have a purpose-built box that's waterproof, etc. Losing or trashing my iPhone somehow would be a serious annoyance and inconvenience. I mean, I'd lose whatever Words With Friends game I had going and everything...

Back