Question on AP1 716

CajunMan

Reaction score
Handicap
10.9 USGA
I am going to EW next weekend to get fitted with a complete set of clubs. I am liking the AP1's but how do you deal with the wedge game? Right now I have Callaway Diablo Forged irons and the PW is 45, a Clev 52, Ping 56 and a Clev 60. My next option is Ping G30's but won't know until fitted. Been playing one year now. Tim

It would depend on yardages far more than lofts. To use this as an example, when choosing driver and then fairway wood, you dont care really about the loft on the club, just how far they go and to fill the gaps. The wedges coming off of irons is the same.

Not sure what your budget is but the Callaway MD3s are AMAZING.

It would depend on yardages far more than lofts. To use this as an example, when choosing driver and then fairway wood, you dont care really about the loft on the club, just how far they go and to fill the gaps. The wedges coming off of irons is the same.

I agree with JB. Get your irons and then see what gaps you have on that end of the bag and go from there.

All fittings should be about finding the gaps and filling them with what suits your game. Some prefer to,have a 4* gap between pw and the rest if the wedges others go for 5 or 6*. A previous set I had to go,with a 3* gap between pw and GW to get what I needed.

The AP1 pw is 43, and, the 1st gap wedge is a 47, the 2nd gap wedge is a 52. The AP1's are strong lofted, so, versus worrying about the bottom end of the bag, it might be as simple as going 5-pw, w(47), which may be comparable to 4-pw in your current set. For me, I went 6-w2, and, my only other wedge is a 58. fwiw, I carry both a 4 and 5 hybrid, so, my longest iron is a 6.

Thanks for the info! This will be my first fitting and my first set of new clubs. So many options. I am hoping to go with either Titleist or Ping. The fitter at EW said to keep an open mind. Tim

May want to try AP1 714 too. Some seem to like them better than the 716, including my EW rep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I looked up the specs to the 714 and like that spread better than the 716. I go Saturday to get fitted and I appreciate all the help here! Thx, Tim

Back