Driver shaft torque

If I handed you two clubs at d5. Unmarked shafts and same head I bet you could not tell me what one had the heavier weight. There is a reason manufactures dont make shafts as light as possible but thanks to some technological advances in the shaft making process over the last few years many of those reasons are disappearing. It is also why you see more and more light shafts that can handle the swings of faster and more up tempo players.

One of the funny things Tom at Matrix once said was label something 61 and it's okay. Label it 59 and it's too light. Cut a penny in half and it still weighs more than those two grams and then don't get started on tolerances.

Then he started talking about adapters, grips, etc.

One of the funny things Tom at Matrix once said was label something 61 and it's okay. Label it 59 and it's too light. Cut a penny in half and it still weighs more than those two grams and then don't get started on tolerances.

Then he started talking about adapters, grips, etc.

I think that is the crux of the matter. If you give someone a 340 gram club and a 310 gram club with the same SW it's difficult to tell which one is heavier but have a 310 gram club and a 600 gram club with the same SW and anyone can tell the difference. We are talking about small percentage changes.

Totally understand. For me graphite shafts that I have tried in irons have caused me to hit the ball higher than I like with a wider dispersion pattern, could just be me. I'm not sure if the culprit is higher torque, overall lighter weight or a combination of factors.

I got a response back from him and he said they found a "big difference in performance, despite only a slight torque difference" between the standard and proto. Not sure exactly what he means, so I asked him to clarify. I also told him that the currently quoted build is out of my price range lol

Back