How early is too early to start?

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
First off my daughter is 18 months old, so I know I'm quite a ways away from getting her started in golf, but I was curious when most people have started their kids in golf? Age, experiences, tips? Any info would be quite welcome.

my son will be 2 the end of september and he loves going out in the yard and "hitting" balls with his pappa. he's not near ready to be given any type of instruction or anything, but we're getting him his first little set for his birthday this year. i'm thinking that this next year i may be able to teach him the concept of trying to hit it in a desired direction. now he just flails at the ball, but he loves it nonetheless.

I dont have any kids, nor am I married, so I may not be an expert on this. With that aside, I read that the best age for them to start is when they want to start. Sounds like good advice to me.

Personal experience, I grew up being forced to swim and play piano. I hated it. If I was forced to golf back then, I would've probably hated that too. I swung my first swing ever last year and now can't get enough. Just my 2 cents.

*double post*

Last edited:
IMO, it depends upon the kid and how coordinated they are. Some people just take longer to develop good hand-eye coordination.

There's really no minimum age. With our daughter, now 6, I would go to the range and hit balls next to the practice bunker. If she wanted to hit some balls she could. If she didn't want to, the bunker was there for her to play in.

Most Jr. Camps want the kids to be 5+.

Its never too early to start. Let them enjoy it though. if theyd rather hit balls with the grip end, let them.

5-6 is the earliest age that instruction will help and be understood. Earlier than that they wont always understand it as help, and learn it to be a chore.

There's really no minimum age. With our daughter, now 6, I would go to the range and hit balls next to the practice bunker. If she wanted to hit some balls she could. If she didn't want to, the bunker was there for her to play in.

To add to this, most Junior Camps require a minimum age of 5.

Little Sacul is 13 months old, and he started "playing" golf when he was about 9 months. That's about the time he discovered daddy's golf balls for putting in the bedroom, and walked around/chased them for months. Now he comes with mommy and daddy to the range and generally walks around with daddy's 5 iron and a few balls or tees. He's just curious at this point, but I see him watching me hold the club, and he's trying to figure it out a little bit.

All cuteness aside, I dont intend on forcing the game on him. Sure, I'll buy him some plastic clubs, and maybe a junior set when he's around 2 or 3. If he really takes an interest in it, daddy will be right there to help him. If not, daddy will be there for him with whatever his passion will be.

Just not figure skating.

I have a 7 year-old who has been "playing" since he was 2 1/2. By playing I mean hitting balls in the backyard or the range. My son got started/interested in golf because he saw daddy doing it and asked if he could hit the ball. To this day I don't offer advice and i just let him hit away. He sometimes still takes a stride, like a baseball swing, when we are at the range and i don't care as long as he has fun. Your child will let you know when it's time to start.

If you would like your child to play, make sure they are having fun. When you take them to the range, understand that their attention span and interest may only last 15-20 minutes before they get bored. One way i try to keep it fun. Rather than going to a driving range i will take my son to a lake that sits on the local golf course and we will hit about shag 30 balls into the water. It's a lot of fun and he thinks it's a riot when we can get the ball to skip like they do at the Masters par three contest.

I have 3 and 4 year old boys, both who really want to play. The only problem is that my 3 year old is incredibly short and my 4 year old is incredibly uncoordinated. I feel bad, but I've had to hold them off until I can find clubs that fit them and they build some sort of coordination. I bought two Maxfli putters for them to practice with... after about 15 minutes they turn into drivers. I'm hoping they retain the interest as they get older.

Just an update on my kid, for the last month or so, I've been taking him to the chipping/putting green while mom is taking a lesson, and he absolutely loves it. First, there's a ton of balls to play with. Second, he chases them around with daddy's putter or wedge trying to hit them like dad does. And third, it keeps him occupied while mom has a lesson and dad practices chipping or putter (whichever club little sacul doesnt have).

I find most people are friendly and receptive to him being around, always making "cute" and "start 'em early" comments. I try to be curtious to people on the range, attempting to keep him relatively quite and (far) away from others. If we're on the green, we're (again far) away from others, and I think they notice and appreciate that.

I started when I was 4, but didn't really get into it til I was about 18. It's fun just being out on the course with my dad and little brother. My brther started at about 5 or 6. I thought that 4 was a pretty good age to start.

My local pro recommended 6, but said it was never to early to let him swing around with a club or have some fun with me at the range. That precipitated the following photo of my 2 year old son:

IMG_20101009_171402640x480.jpg

Nice picture Petro. Looks like a real nice range. My Tyler is 6 and he likes the idea of going to the range with me and hitting some balls. In actuality though he gets to the range and hits about 10 shots before he is bored. He then wanders around sometimes doing some work for the range owner like picking up baskets which is cool as he gets me free buckets of balls lol. I started bringing him when he was 5 and he does enjoy getting out there. My range has clinics during the spring for $15 a weekend and they have an instructor come in and teach the kids and Ty did really well with the instruction. I may have been biased but he seemed to be hitting the ball better than the others :fingers-crossed: As long as he/she is having fun than the age really shouldn't matter IMO. But you have to remember that once they are done they are done. I have had a few instances of having to leave early because Ty was tired and having a break down.

That was my kid too. He had plastic clubs at 15 months and was on the course at 4 with cut down sticks. No instrruction, swing away and have fun.

My son turned 3 in Sept, and I got hit a set of clubs. I take him along with me to the driving range and the par 3 course I play at. He just like to swing, so I am taking it slow with him, just letting him do his own thing for now. My daughter is 4 and I can actually teach her stuff and she listens. She wants her own set so she can go with me more often.

Back