What Prizes Would Get You Excited For Closest To The Pin Holes

What Prizes Would Get You Excited For Closest To The Pin Holes

• Total voters
If you're in a large market where there is a PGA Super Store or Golf Galaxy, you might offer a $300+ Gift Card to said shop. If you tried, I think you'd find the shop would co-sponsor the prize. I'm pretty sure PGA SS would. That way you might be able to raise the value of the prize with their participation, and the winner could choose the driver (whatever) they like.
Good suggestion V.Man...and just another of the many reasons why I wish there was a PGA Super Store in our area. I would hate to send any "winner' to OUR local Golf Galaxy, maybe the furthest from the pin should get double the card to that store :D

I could use some input from everyone here on your thoughts for prizes for Closest To The Pin holes in scrambles that you have played in. I did a poll of some I've seen or am consdiering for events at our course next year.

But I'd love to here what everyone likes or dislikes and why.

Sorry I meant to add "Other" to the poll, so just name what it would be in the post.

Thanks

Rob

Now, for me, and probably a lot of us who are more discerning golf consumers, a golf club wouldn't be a great choice since we tend to be more concerned about fitting, brand, etc. So, from my point of view, I'd go "other" and maybe say a visa gift card, etc. A driver is cool, but not everyone needs / wants a driver, so less may take part in those contests. A 300.00 visa gift card EVERYONE can use!
From your business pov though I know the driver or pro shop credit would be best. The driver is great ( as is pro shop credit ) because the winner thinks "Hey, these guys are great because they gave away a 400.00 driver" - when the reality is it probably only cost you maybe 100.00?

Good suggestion V.Man...and just another of the many reasons why I wish there was a PGA Super Store in our area. I would hate to send any "winner' to OUR local Golf Galaxy, maybe the furthest from the pin should get double the card to that store :D

It wouldn't work well here in Pensacola either, Rob. All we have a small Edwin Watts.

I agree that a driver doesn't make sense for a closest to the hole but I understand the reasoning.... why would you need a wedge when obviously your club works fine.... But I agree with something unique like a range finder or gopro as a cool prize.

I won't complain about anything, but I prefer anything but equipment (clubs) since it is so personal.

I would have to pick the premium brand driver or the staff bag. Both are pretty cool prizes for a closest to the pin.

All are nice prizes that are worth closest to the pin though.

Rob

Now, for me, and probably a lot of us who are more discerning golf consumers, a golf club wouldn't be a great choice since we tend to be more concerned about fitting, brand, etc. So, from my point of view, I'd go "other" and maybe say a visa gift card, etc. A driver is cool, but not everyone needs / wants a driver, so less may take part in those contests. A 300.00 visa gift card EVERYONE can use!
From your business pov though I know the driver or pro shop credit would be best. The driver is great ( as is pro shop credit ) because the winner thinks "Hey, these guys are great because they gave away a 400.00 driver" - when the reality is it probably only cost you maybe 100.00?

I don't know the actual numbers percentage wise, but large majority of the scramble players are not equipment aficionado's that most on THP are. While some have the newest driver on their own, judging from bags Ive seen at the events I've been in, many are playing drivers, 3, 5 or 10 years old. So a newer driver might be something to them. But I get your point.

Cash or pro shop credit would work for me

I voted for everything minus proshop credit and Prov combos as I don't play the higher end balls and I never really buy fromt eh pro shop. But in the end CASH is king!

The only issue I've had with Pro Shop credit, is for course specific/branded items it works, but for other items they always seem overpriced.

The only issue I've had with Pro Shop credit, is for course specific/branded items it works, but for other items they always seem overpriced.
You saying you think $14 for a sleeve of Pro V's is a bit much :D

You could have a staff bag (or den caddy) at the hole, and if the person dunks it in the bag, they keep the bag. That would be awesome.

You could have a staff bag (or den caddy) at the hole, and if the person dunks it in the bag, they keep the bag. That would be awesome.
Pretty cool idea!! A lot cheaper than a Mercedes :D

I like cash, I have never used a club I won at a golf tournament, sold them all in the wrapper. The Visa card suggestion is good along with a GPS, GPS Watch, Laser Rangefinder or GoPro. Good luck Rob and let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
I don't know the actual numbers percentage wise, but large majority of the scramble players are not equipment aficionado's that most on THP are. While some have the newest driver on their own, judging from bags Ive seen at the events I've been in, many are playing drivers, 3, 5 or 10 years old. So a newer driver might be something to them. But I get your point.

I think a driver, before I came to THP and got more immersed in equipment, etc, is what I would have wanted - and it probably still is something the average golfer would get excited about. Now though - gimme a gift card! So I guess I answered the poll on what I would want - not what most would want. I think a driver is a win - win for you and the winner.

But why don't you let me test the driver so the winner knows the club isn't damaged, etc. :act-up:

Pretty cool idea!! A lot cheaper than a Mercedes :D
You don't want to watch people dunk into a mercedes convertible... and cry after he see's all the dents from people missing and the golf ball sized holes in the windshield?:rotfl:

A driver, a staff bag, any of the actual "hard" goods are what would excite me.

Honestly proshop credit doesn't turn my crank (but our proshops here are terrible for merch).

Straight cash homey!

I vote pro shop credit because it's not cool to win something you will never use. Although it isn't an option in the poll, I think the idea of a driver fitting to go with a new driver is a pretty good idea, especially if the shop carries multiple lines.

I voted pro shop credit. Gives the winner the opportunity to get what they want.

I notice that you referred to the scramble format. It is my experience that most such formats are for charitable type events where many of the participants may not be active golfers. Accordingly, as opposed to one $300 prize, three $100 prizes may be considered, perhaps VISA debit cards. This will give provide an opportunity for at least two more winners, winners that may have no interest in additional golf items and the debit card will allow them to choose their prize so to speak. Sometimes, it seems to me that in such events, winning something, getting to write your name on the measurement card is more significant than the prize to many. In a manner of speaking, it increases the fun level for many. The blind squirrel may find a nut.

As a lefty, sometimes when equipment is the prize it is a right handed model, which I must admit can be annoying.

I voted multiple things. In order I'd go Staff bag (love that idea), driver, Shirt and 1/4 zip, pro shop credit.
Pro V's don't excite me since I don't play that ball.

Driver but depends on the driver company/model

I voted multiple things. In order I'd go Staff bag (love that idea), driver, Shirt and 1/4 zip, pro shop credit.
Pro V's don't excite me since I don't play that ball.
I'm glad to hear and see staff bag getting some votes. That is my first choice, I just think it makes a great visual on the flyer and the comtest hole.

Even if the winner doesn't put it play. It can always be used at home or an office for a converation piece.

I voted them all, reason being is the each tournament has a budget to work with in. Other could be dinner for two at a nice restaurant, or something along those lines too.

I would say pro shop credit or cash. Gives the person the chance to pick out what they want.

Back