What club do you chip with around the green?

Going through these lessons has with the PGA Tour Academy has taught me a new thought process to chipping. Basically, on standard speed greens, you find your landing area and pace the distances off from the hole and to the ball. Then what club you should choose is based on the distance you need to fly the ball vs the rollout you need. A pitching wedge should be near 1:1, 9 iron 1:2, 8 iron 1:3. I've been experimenting and it is very close to the truth. Of course the roll out will depend on the speed of the greens, but it is a great starting point.

Going through these lessons has with the PGA Tour Academy has taught me a new thought process to chipping. Basically, on standard speed greens, you find your landing area and pace the distances off from the hole and to the ball. Then what club you should choose is based on the distance you need to fly the ball vs the rollout you need. A pitching wedge should be near 1:1, 9 iron 1:2, 8 iron 1:3. I've been experimenting and it is very close to the truth. Of course the roll out will depend on the speed of the greens, but it is a great starting point.

Surely you don't pace these off every time you have a chip? You are going to have a lot of unhappy people behind you if you can't see that ratio without pacing off every chip. I've played with guys who can't hit a putt without pacing it off, and that's frustrating enough, but if I played with someone who had to pace off his chips too, I think I'd scream. C'mon, we aren't getting any younger here. :angry:

Surely you don't pace these off every time you have a chip? You are going to have a lot of unhappy people behind you if you can't see that ratio without pacing off every chip. I've played with guys who can't hit a putt without pacing it off, and that's frustrating enough, but if I played with someone who had to pace off his chips too, I think I'd scream. C'mon, we aren't getting any younger here. :angry:

During practice I do, just to get a feel for it. During a round, I use guesstimates.

Golfers everywhere thank you for that. :banana:

Well, about 3 times a week I play after work and pretty much have the entire course to myself so no one would care, but I don't want to rely on having to pace out a 20 yard chip all the time on a busy course. Besides, it's too easy to walk to the edge of the green or close to it and figure out how far you need to carry vs. How much roll out you're going to need after it lands. Plus, it's not like I am good enough to hit the exact spot with the exact same chipping stroke every time anyway. It's just a very good guideline to follow for choosing a club to chip with.

For most chips I use either a 54* or 58* wedge depending on turf conditions and how much roll I want. I've been known to chip with a PW or even an 8 iron if I really want to get it rolling though.

7iron or gap wedge is the preferred play if I can just run it up there. If I have to carry something or have a elevated green I will use my 64 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on the shot I have but I think most of the time I am working my magic with a 54* wedges.

Typically if I am close its either my GW or my 56* I used to carry a 58* and found it just wasn't as consistent as I would like so I switched.

I have started to use my pitching wedge 110 in. My 52 is sand and thick rough. I have my my P wedge down right now. I think by using the same club with so much difference in shots has given me control. Five one putts in a row for par Wednesday thanks to that club.

I have started to use my pitching wedge 110 in. My 52 is sand and thick rough. I have my my P wedge down right now. I think by using the same club with so much difference in shots has given me control. Five one putts in a row for par Wednesday thanks to that club.

I do the same thing with my 54. In years past I would have a 56,60,64 and then switch up a lot. But I found that using the 54 lets me control my shot more and I have gotten a lot better. Now a 50 yard shot is just a half swing shot for me instead of a full swing with another club. Anytime I can think less and just play a shot it is a good thing. I will use my lob wedge around the green if I need to.

Always my 56

Usually my 60*.... But sometimes my 54*.

Althing from 8 - SW. Primarily PW or AW though.

JM

I use my 52* wedge almost all the time, I can chip it to a point half way between me and the hole and it usually ends up pretty close. I adjust my landing point when the greens are uphill or rolling away. I use my 52* for pretty much everything 110 yards and in though and mix in the 56* when I have to.

54º all day

Usually my 58. It goes against standard thinking, but I figure that my ball won't hit any bumps in the air.

my 54* for the most part. If I need less roll out, I will use my 58*.

Typically my 54* or 58* depending on lie and how much green I have to work with.

59° from the sand, 55° elsewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mostly always use my 56...

Mostly 56 deg SW but I also use the 45 PW and 50 GW

Back