Wedge shafts same as iron shafts?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm considering getting some new Mizuno S5 wedges to pair with my JPX-850 irons. I was fitted for the irons with R shaft XP115 irons at +1/2 inch and upright 2 degrees. I'm looking at getting a new sand wedge and potentially a gap wedge. It seems it would make sense to get the gap wedge with the same shaft as that is what I currently have right now but would it make sense to get the sand wedge in the XP115 R shaft as well?

Since the XP115 is a heavier shaft would the difference be that noticeable?

For me, it's most important to have the wedge shafts the same if they are being used as full swing clubs. I rarely use my 54 and 58 for full swings, so I'm ok with them having heavier shafts. My 50*, however, is definitely a full swing club pretty frequently, so I'd like it to match pretty closely. Right now, the Dynalite Gold is very similar to the Nippons in my irons. Looking at some new irons coming up though with Recoil shafts, and if I do that I think I may go ahead and reshaft my 50* with the same Recoil.

I'm in the same camp. I matched my wedge shafts to my iron shafts. I play a lot of full swing shots with my wedges and found I'm more consistent with similar shafts.

Definitely personal preference, for #TheGrandaddy I went PXi in irons and wedges, just 6.0 in wedges and 6.5 in irons. Also went the same +1/2" and 2* up throughout.

I used to think the same shaft throughout the bag was the same way but now after a month of testing, wedge specific shafts work very well for me.

My PW, which matches my set is shafted the same as all my irons, but I have always gone with a wedge flex in my higher lofted none set wedges.

When you guys say "match" what are you talking about?
Swing weight, flex, overall weight or just brand/model?
In my experience, most wedges are not terribly similar to full irons.

When I got fitted the fitter put me in the same shaft for my MD3s as my irons (my iron set is 4-AW). This is what Callaway recommended though they did stiffen the end of the shaft for the MD3s. I do hit my wedges full if the distance warrants it and I am hitting them farther than my previous Cobra wedges. I have not lost touch around the green either. I love it when I get a chance to put either of my MD3s in my hands.

Thanks for the info. I know I'll discuss it further with my fitter when it comes time. I know I'll definitely do the +1/2 inch and 2* upright to stay in coordination with my current mizuno iroms. It really comes down to what shafts to use and if I want to do an entire wedge set or not. The custom length and lie angles might just make me go ahead and upgrade my lob wedge too.

I've done both. In each case I found positives and negatives. Currently I don't have matching ones - except in my gap wedge - for full shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 set.jpg

I match iron and wedge shafts for cosmetic reasons. I went with Aldila NV 105s in several bags and switched to NV 85s that match my woods now that I'm older.

I'm not launch monitor obsessive. I find a shaft I can hit and match my driving iron, fairway irons, and wedges.

This is one of the more annoying things about buying clubs. The OEM won't always offer you the shaft that you want so you end up paying for the club twice--one when you buy it and again when you set it up.

Maybe it's a bit anal retentive, but I don't like a rainbow of shaft colors in my bag. Golf is so mental that cosmetics can be important for some of us.

I play the same shafts throughout the entire set. The feel for me is better when all the shafts match. In the past I have used some of the wedge specific shafts. The two different shafts felt and played different me. I prefer to have one shaft with the same profile.

I've recently gone from the Genius 12 (I think basically KBS Tours) shafts in my SCOR wedges (46°,50°,55°,59°) to the C-Taper shafts I have in my irons and I really like the results. The reason I changed is that looking back on last season I had a lot of full shots with those wedges that seemed to balloon and come up short where my 9 and 8 irons had a more penetrating flight and always seemed to get there. I'm looking forward to playing with them more in the coming months - after the snow melts that is

I've recently gone from the Genius 12 (I think basically KBS Tours) shafts in my SCOR wedges (46°,50°,55°,59°) to the C-Taper shafts I have in my irons and I really like the results. The reason I changed is that looking back on last season I had a lot of full shots with those wedges that seemed to balloon and come up short where my 9 and 8 irons had a more penetrating flight and always seemed to get there. I'm looking forward to playing with them more in the coming months - after the snow melts that is

Based on your signature, is that the same shaft but stiffer in your GW, SW, and LW?

Based on your signature, is that the same shaft but stiffer in your GW, SW, and LW?
I went with S+ in the SW & LW because I like the heavier weight and thought the extra stiffness in those clubs wouldn't matter that much - jury is still out on that ...

Back