Together We Change - 2016 Golf Goals

Goals are fairly simple (ha):

1. Keep working on changing the backswing so I'm not coming in over the top and can get decent consistency.
2. Play in some tournaments at my club.
3. Get down to a 12 handicap
4. Drop 30lbs

my 2016 goals:

1. Get to a 5 handicap
2. Play golf in a state ive never played before. I hear Nevada is pretty cool
3. Lose 30 lbs
4. Lose another 20 lbs on top of that

Last edited:
I know that I need to change a few things, so this is a good place to start.

So, my first goal is one that a lot of us make.

1.) Get moving, exercise, eat better and lose some pounds
2.) Practice more, because with proper practice a good, repeatable swing will follow
3.) Play more golf, as I'm confident that I didn't even play 15 rounds of golf this year and that hurts emotionally, because I love this game
4.) Play more golf with fellow THP'ers.

I have a few goals for 2016:

Get back into shape and stay in shape.

Become a better putter

Play the best I can in all tournaments I enter

Keep having fun

1. Break 90.
2. Get into the teens (from 25.1) for the handicap.
3. Not take my rounds so seriously. Relax and enjoy them.

I'll have to come back to add some more detail, but one I need to have down, is getting back into decent shape. This is much less about golf than overall health and happiness, but it likely will impact my golf game... I suspect I'll get back a little distance I've lost in the last couple of years, but I may also have to re-work on my swing as the body changes.

The goal is simple: Get to a 12 index or better in 2016. And the way to accomplish it is simple: Get a solid short game, especially inside 125 yards, and improve my putting, especially inside 10'. Do that in 2016, and I'll blow right by 12 in no time.

my 2016 goals:

1. Get to a 5 handicap
2. Play golf in a state ive never played before. I head Nevada is pretty cool

I have the same goal as number 1, and I like number 2 so I'm stealing it.

Goal 3. Play in at least 2 THP events this year.

1. Get to a 5 index or better
2. Lose another 20 lbs
3. Improve my short game
4. Due to recent back issues, exercise more
5. Play in at least 1 THP event and meet some of the people I've been reading for so long

2016 goals:
1) Play more golf with my dad
2) Maintain a handicap below 5
3) Improve my short game/putting
4) Lose 30 lbs
5) Play in a couple THP events
6) Play with more THPers
7) Don't buy stuff I don't need (yea right)
8) Shoot at least 1 round under par
9) Walk more rounds
10) Better course management (as my dad always told me...think before you act) I need to be better at understanding where I can miss and don't be afraid to take my medicine

I think these are some good goals for me! Going to be tough but I need to be more focused and willing to accomplish these goals! #TogetherWeChange

Good stuff Smalls!!

And so much for the theory of those who work golf don't get to play golf. # Mythbusters

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I didn't play much in 2015. But I want to play more this year!

That is not smallvilles career. It is his wife's, he works in insurance.

Yes and no. Insurance is my main job. But in hours, I put in close to the same at the golf course and sometimes more. I don't have a lot of spare time in-season, which sucks for events!

Hopefully staffing works out better at Painted this year and I can concentrate more on getting more clients.

My goals are simple:

1) Consistent off the tee
2) make 90, the new 100 (if you get my drift)
3) practice 3 times a week

My goal is simple play more golf and use those chances to improve. My life has changed so much over the last year and so did my golfing priorities. I hope to get more opportunities for practice now the boys are older.

I have used THP as my golf outlet to stay as much in the game as I could without really being able to play as much as I was before. My other goal is to venture into other threads that are a little out of my comfort zone in order to improve my golf game.

1. Play more with my 8 year daughter. She has not put her clubs down since early fall. Seems like the bug has bitten and we have enjoyed it.
2. Lose 25 pounds.

Anything else will be a bonus.

Thankfully, I was able to achieve my 2015 goal of getting my cap under 3 to end the season so here and now is the time and place to set the bar even higher. Now that Im single again, there is no reason that I cant accomplish what I set out to do.

So my big goal for the season is to cut my hcap in half. 1.5 is the goal and Im gonna work my ass off to get there.

Last edited:
After seeing where my game has gone over the last 6 months, I have come up with a few goals.

1) Get back to full swing lessons.
2) Increase GIR to 40%
3) Decrease the average number of penalty strokes per round (currently 4).
4) Hit 60% of FIR
5) Lose 10 lbs.
6) Get to the gym 1X/week EVERY WEEK! (This dropped off in 2015)
7) Play 200 rounds at my home club.

Excellent idea for 2016. Looking forward to seeing a successful year from people.

2016 goals:

Become a better wedge player

Re-institute SPI in my putting game

Play in 2016 Grandaddy

Make a difference in everyone's game

Get my son on the lesson tee

Win a couple FSGA events

1) Work my butt off with the Full Swing changes I'm making to have a somewhat repeatable unconscious swing by the spring.
2) Come spring, target practice, short game practice and not play golf swing.
3) Putting. Mine sucks. Make that my strength.
4) Walk as much as possible and enjoy all my rounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At this writing, my first priority is to get healthy, which includes losing about 25 pounds. I need to do this in order to play more than just 18 holes on a given day and to play on consecutive days.

I also need to gain more confidence in my ability to play and compete with my mostly younger buds. Even many, many years ago, when I was playing on my high school baseball team, many of my fellow teammates were praying to hit the winning home run, while I was praying, Oh God, don't let me be the one to cause us to lose this game. I have no problem entering individual golf events, but I hesitate entering team events. I know I shouldn't and it costs me the opportunity to enjoy participating with my friends, especially those here at THP, but it remains very difficult for me.

Regarding the specifics of my game, I have found an instructor that I like very much and we have established some specific goals. My current index is 15.9 and we have targeted a 12 when the machines close next year. I will definitely be targeting my sand bunker play, that alone should drop my handicap by 2 strokes, my current bunker play is awful, I either leave it in the bunker or fly the green currently. Now I must use what I call a BAS--bunker avoidance shot. We have established a 9.9 index as my long term goal.

1) Practice 3 to 4x a week. (Started this about a month ago so more of a continuance of this)
2) Play 30 or more rounds (met my goal of over 20 this year most I have ever played in a year)
3) Get into Vegas Event (Should be #1)
4) Get to Single Digits (With the amount I am practicing and the progress I am seeing I know I can do this by year end

I am sure I have more.

Id like to add that my second goal is to play with more THPers, including finding a way to make some specific trips that I havent been able to yet, such as going the PNW to tee it up again with @Jaysfan and to Boston to do the same with @Gr8dryv. There may be no better time in my life to cross these goals off of my list

Back