THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Here are the questions I promised earlier today.

DC/MD/VA hopefuls:

Post your responses here, and PM them to me too.

~ Have ever played in a team event?
~ What makes you an asset to the entire team?
~ What do you look for from a playing partner?
A. What do you have to offer a playing partner?
~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game.
~ What is your biggest strength in the game?
A. What do you do to maintain it.
~ What is the biggest weakness in your game?
A. What is your plan to overcome it
B. How will you know you've been successful?
~ Do you prefer to practice or play
~ What is your handicap index.
~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016?

I like it brother. If I were to add to it.

Showing the forum and those teammates is not only done with a club in your hand. I won't worry about post count, but I will look for relevance and substance. In other words "welcome to THP" isn't going to cut it.

DC/MD/VA hopefuls:

Some good thought provoking questions Captain.

Got some family obligations tonight but answers forthcoming tomorrow.

DC/MD/VA hopefuls:

Carolina guys if you would also answer the same questions. Gives us a good gauge.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

~ Have ever played in a team event? Played 4 years of high school golf, so team-centric, but still individual. I have played in multiple captains choice/scramble/best ball tourneys over the years, but always in a foursome.
~ What makes you an asset to the entire team? From a playing standpoint, I hit the ball a long way off the tee and am normally very accurate with a wood/hybrid in hand (10-12 fairways a round). When I'm practicing my short game, it can be pretty good. From a personality standpoint, I'm really easy to get along with and don't really need any external motivation to get me going. I am not the rah-rah guy who will post 10 paragraph long speeches weeks ahead of an event, but will pump up my partner when needed. I also tend to forget the bad shots pretty quickly and don't transfer my butthurt to others. I never give up on a round or a hole. I've gotten out of some nasty jams, just this summer.
~ What do you look for from a playing partner? I don't want an on-course coach, and I won't offer you swing tips (unless you specifically ask). I do not mind at all if you offer tips on line or the preferred way to play a hole. Keep it light, shut up while I'm zoning in, and we will get along beautifully. Dirty jokes and laughs are always welcome, as I can assure you there is nothing that will embarrass me.
A. What do you have to offer a playing partner? I understand the game pretty well, having been around it for much of my life. I can see things on a course that only hundreds/thousands of rounds can reveal. I'll help you stay focused when it's time to play, but I'll also keep it fun for the other 3.5 hours. I'm not a bad putt-reader and will put you in the fairway more often than not.
~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game. Played for the first time in 2 years. First round back was a 93. Second round back was a 79.
~ What is your biggest strength in the game? Tee game.
A. What do you do to maintain it. Not a ton, just keep it well lubed with a few balls each practice session.
~ What is the biggest weakness in your game? My short game goes away pretty quick if I don't stay on it. I recognize that and work on it.
A. What is your plan to overcome it. I worked hard on my short game this summer, and it showed. Early in the year, I was full of chili dips and skulls. I played a round in October where I only hit 6 greens but shot 79. The work and drills I put into really showed that day.
B. How will you know you've been successful? It's easy and hard to quantify. Stats only show a portion of the story. Sometimes you have literally no shot at getting up and down, but a good pitch keeps the number within reason.
~ Do you prefer to practice or play. Practice makes play more enjoyable, so I would have to say practice.
~ What is your handicap index. 7.9
~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016? A consistent 7-8. Due to my layoff, I can shoot 78 one weekend, then 88 the next. I really want to work on tightening up my iron game and bring that spread south.

Only if you count scrambles. I have played in many partner events though.

I'm willing to do anything that's needed for the betterment of the team as a whole. I'm very level headed, even when things aren't going my way and while I take competition seriously, sometimes you have to be able to laugh at yourself.

Someone who is very casual and doesn't let the pressure show. If I'm starting to get upset or embarrassed with my game, I tend to get quiet which only makes things worse. Someone who is supportive without being fake or condescending is always great. If I screw up, mess with me about it, don't just let things go quiet.

I think the best thing that I can offer a playing partner is support. And not that fake "It'll be OK" support, I mean real support. I'm a firm believer that to be a good partner you have to really want your partner to succeed without being judgmental when things aren't going good. No sugar coating things, but no getting angry or irritated with your partner because of their play.

Actually getting to play again. A serious elbow injury with surgery that followed could have ended my golf for good. But I missed my time on the course and with the support of a couple great THPers (Marc and Ron), they made me WANT to get back out there.

Fairway wood from the deck right now. I just have complete confidence with a fairway wood in my hand.

With the amount of golf I play on longer courses, I really don't have to work hard to maintain my fairway wood swing, it's just something that I can do and I lean on it often.

This is a toss-up. Keeping the ball in play off the tee with a driver and my wedge game are both weaknesses right now. I lose a lot of strokes in both of these areas.

I am taking a short-game clinic right now, where I hit 200 balls a day with wedges only in addition to any irons/woods practice. I have seen a lot of progress in the past week, but there's still a long way to go. My driver is actually coming around compared to years gone by. I will still flail a ball OB now and then, but it has come a long way. As soon as the short game clinic is done (5 more weeks), I am going to put max effort into my driving. When there are times that I am playing for something other than a score, I can also hit the fairway wood and be in good shape, which negates the need to pull driver on most holes if I'm trying to score well.

FIRs and penalty strokes are easy to track. I will be successful when I can go for a majority of rounds without a penalty off the tee. When my scores level out and quit looking like a roller coaster, I will be successful as well. I will also be measuring my success by how well my game travels. Shooting mid-80's on my home course does me no good if I'm shooting 100 every time I go to a new course.

Play, definitely. But in order to get to where I want to be, I've had to resign to more practice.

20.1 currently, but it is a bit skewed in my opinion because all of my rounds posted are on the same course and I've posted very few this year.

I want to be a 12 again. I was there before and I see no reason now that I actually have time to practice and play why I can't get back there relatively quickly.

~ Have ever played in a team event? I have played one THP team event The Pitt Invitational. I play two man team matches quite frequently with a group at Andrews AFB.

~ What makes you an asset to the entire team? I can partner with anyone and don't fear playing against anyone. My team and match play experience.

~ What do you look for from a playing partner? I look for someone who is willing to play hard but have a good time doing so. One who can talk thru shots or scenarios or ask for advice if needed. Someone who realizes golf is hard and bad shots will happen and to never apologize for a bad shot.

A. What do you have to offer a playing partner? Someone who will give my best, I can forget about a bad shot or bad hole and move on. Positive re-enforcement and encouragement. Willing to listen if they notice something is out of whack. I can adapt to situations so of something we strategized about isn't working we can change it and get back on track. Ability to stay within my skill set and not chase an opponent in distance off the tee or to go for hero shots.

~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game. Getting to a single digit hdcp.

~ What is your biggest strength in the game? Mental game is pretty strong right now and putting. Have been avg 28-30 putts most rounds.

A. What do you do to maintain it. Practice putting. For mental game try to stay in the moment and not look ahead or back and stay in the process. Been trying to meditate more and keep a mental journal of good shots to pull from.

~ What is the biggest weakness in your game? Tempo. Swing has become long and quick and has affected my ball striking with irons.

A. What is your plan to overcome it. Putting in work on the range and lessons to focus on shorter swing and stay within myself.

B. How will you know you've been successful? I track various stats during each round and will know based on these stats and score.
~ Do you prefer to practice or play. I prefer to do both. I like to have at least one practice session a week and play once a week when possible. I believe practice helps me engrain my process so on the course it's less mental and more just do.
~ What is your handicap index. Currently 9.8
~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016? To be at 7.8 or lower.

- I have never played in a THP event
- I think what makes me an asset is to be determined. If I leave with a positive attitude and some new friends I feel I was an asset.
- I would like a playing partner that will jump in right beside me as if he or she was playing the ball themselves and offer their opinion.
- As a partner myself I would offer the same along with encouragement.
- My biggest game accomplishment was reducing my Handicap 10 strokes.
- My strength I feel is putting.
- To maintain my game I spend a lot of time at the range.
- My weakness is GIR.
- To overcome the weakness will require doing something different at the range along with lessons.
- I'll feel I've overcome my weakness once I see that little white ball go where I want it to.
- I prefer to play vs. practice
- My current Handicap is 16.
- My handicap goal is 10 by Aug.

DC/MD/VA hopefuls:

Here are the answers to your questions. I feel that I was 100% honest in all of my answers and believe that the members on this site that I have had the privileged to play with would attest to what I said.

1. Have ever played in a team event? Yes I played last year in the Legacy but also was able to play one year of college golf. It was for a small college and I was just the 5th guy so they could have a team but it got me into golf and taught me a lot.Outside of golf I have played team sports my whole life and am a head baseball and assistant cross country coach.

2. What makes you an asset to the entire team? I believe that I am a passionate person who will give everything they have to do what it takes win and help others win. I am their for others and will support them from the begging to the end. I am grinder and will put in the time and work. I am the type of person who sits back and watches someone work, but I am right there with them working and trying to help even if I don't know exactly how to. I think my biggest asset is that I am a caring person. I truly care about how I act and treat people that I play with. Over the years I learned that this is an important to me.

3. What do you look for from a playing partner? I look for someone who is going to have fun and not take things to seriously, someone who is going to chat as we ride and play together. I like someone who is an even keel and reminds me that it is just a game and that there are a lot of other things I could be doing that would not be as fun.

4. What do you have to offer a playing partner? I offer a fun person to joke with and someone you can talk to as we ride together. You can complain to me all you want. I am not a person who judges. I am not one of those guys who give out advise unless asked. I am a not a slower golfer. I am competitor, I like to win. Team wise I feel that I offer my partner a good tee game with good distance off the tee. I feel that I am good at reading breaks in greens. I may not hit the break or make the putt but I can see where it should go.

5. What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game. Learning to use and trust my wedges. I was a guy who could only hit a pitching wedge unless I was in a bunker than I could use my 60 no problem. This year I learned how to fully use my 50 and my 60 degree. I now do not second guess or get nervous when I need to use these clubs. I will still hit a fat or thin shot with them but there are so many more good shots out of me with them than before. I feel that the confidence I have formed with them is why I have played better golf from August on. Learning to have a better short game with my wedges is my biggest accomplishment this year. I hope to keep improving on that in 2016 also.

6. What is your biggest strength in the game? I truly believe my biggest strength is my length off the tee with driver. I have had very good driving for most of the year and put the ball out far enough to play on just about any hole. I am by no means the longest hitter but I can get the ball out there for a guy my size. My accuracy has been getting better too and I don't question pulling driver out of the bag.

7. What do you do to maintain it. I play as much as possible, practice both at the range and hitting foam balls inside at school. I exercise all the time and stretch too. I have good flexibility. Lately I have been using my GoPro to video and look at what I am doing. This helps me see what is working and what is not. I also utilize one of my good friends who was an assistant teaching pro. He works with me on my swing and lets me know when he sees me going back to old habits.

8. What is the biggest weakness in your game? My mental/emotional game. I do not hide it and am trying to become a better golfer and person with it. I let my head get in the way and my wanting to play well get me to fired up. I sometimes just need to step back and take things into perspective and take a deep breath. Some of it is being so competitive and some is having to high expectations for myself. It is something that I have dealt with through out my sports career.

9. What is your plan to overcome it? I talk to my co-worker/fellow golfer/mentor and he helps me realize what I should be focusing on. When I feel myself getting worked up I step back and take deep breaths to calm the nerves and lower my heart rate. As I said this is something that I deal with not only in golf but also outside of golf too. This year I have started seeing a psychologist where I have worked on my mental/emotional health for my overall peace and mind. The lessons that I have learned there are helping me on the golf course as well. It will be something that I have to work on contiguously but I am committed to doing so. And my biggest "plan to overcome it" is my little girl. I want to be a good role model for her and I want to teach her the game the right way and that includes the mental/emotional part too.

10. How will you know you've been successful? When I can calm myself down to a level that allows me to put things behind and make up for what mistakes I have made.

11. Do you prefer to practice or play. Both I like hit ball after ball after ball and work on different parts of the game. But I also need to take that out on the course and try to execute when needed. It is one thing to grove my swing for a shot when I am hitting it over and over. It is another to be able to pull that shot out of the bag for the few times I may needed it on the course. Time allows for practice during the week and maybe a full round on the weekend.

12. What is your handicap index. Currently it is 9.88 according to the site I use. But that will go up in my next two rounds as I will have a 82 and 77 dropping off and then my PB 76 will come off in 6 rounds. It says my current avg is 87.2 Here is the link to my page on the site for you and anyone else to check http://www.tincupgolfersclub.com/membershow.asp?ShowId=1246326802

13. What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016? My goal is to be somewhere in the 9's according to the site I use and have a lower average score.

Great questions Captain. I really like the self reflection aspect makes you really be honest with yourself and I like that a lot. I am going to work on these and post them up soon.

DC/MD/VA hopefuls:

~ Have ever played in a team event? Many member guests type tournaments.
~ What makes you an asset to the entire team? Solid at crunch time and very supportive.
~ What do you look for from a playing partner? Positive attitude, I like someone who doesn't get down because of one bad shot or hole.
A. What do you have to offer a playing partner? Experience, support, & friendship
~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game. Recovering from back issues I broke 75 four times in the fall
~ What is your biggest strength in the game? Very few big mistakes. Solid but not overly long in most areas
A. What do you do to maintain it. Practice three times a week during the season, diet and exercise in the off season
~ What is the biggest weakness in your game? Pitch shots in 50-60 yard range
A. What is your plan to overcome it. Taking lessons from our club pro and practice, practice , practice
B. How will you know you've been successful? I will get up down more often which will lower my handicap by at least two strokes
~ Do you prefer to practice or play Practice is required but prefer to play and work on my issues as it is easier to see real results
~ What is your handicap index. Currently, playing to a 10 which is down from a 12 at the heigth of my back issues
want to get to a seven! Played to a three when I was in my 50's which is my ultimate goal

How the heck did I miss the captains announcement? Congrats Ron and Kevin!!!

How the heck did I miss the captains announcement? Congrats Ron and Kevin!!!

Thanks brother. This thing has been rolling with a full head of steam :)

Lets get this party started!

~ Have ever played in a team event. Yes, I played in the final Morgan Cup
~ What makes you an asset to the entire team? I'm a believer and supporter, I know what takes to play good golf and am able to identify strengths
~ What do you look for from a playing partner The same things I offer
A. What do you have to offer a playing partner? Unconditional support and calm, as well as shot making
~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game. Really didn't have one, worked a lot and had minimal interest in playing
~ What is your biggest strength in the game? Accuracy, I hit tons of fairways and greens
A. What do you do to maintain it. Work hard
~ What is the biggest weakness in your game? Putting
A. What is your plan to overcome it Don't have one yet honestly but I need it fixed. I'm tired of it
B. How will you know you've been successful? A couple even par rounds
~ Do you prefer to practice or play Practice, I love working on consistency
~ What is your handicap index. 4.9
~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016? 2.5 to 3.0

THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Here is who I've seen interest from in no certain order:

Crest4 (not sure why it isn't Caps out in four)
Mizunofan (forged or cast)
Emart (Cause Walmart was copyrighted)
CAA_Beat (Knees of steel)
Bigball. (Beat's Blue)
Lynchburg14 (Uniroyal flipper)
ChristopherKee
Molten (wearing his patent leathers)
Tbanks5 (as long its banks not bags)
Golfinnut (Spaklers revenge)
JohnsinVA (norm Abrams twin)
Sanzabar (keeping that on the down low)
Dblbogey (although the name frightens me)
Kutros (cause that's how I roll)
UVAWahoo (Wahoo, a fish that drinks twice its own bodyweight)

Who am I missing from the DMV.

Last edited:

Yes, and my wife putts much better than I do. ;)
The only team event I've played in is LiiTA this year.

I am an asset to the entire team as I can help keep the team's spirits high.

I look for a playing partner that can ask me to focus. This is my current situation; however, and what I will be working on during this year leading up to the RR event.

I have to offer the same to my playing partner.

~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game?

"Eliminating" my hips. I put this in quotes, as when I feel that I've eliminated my hips, they are actually activated appropriately.

Perseverance. I may pick up my ball at ESC, but I will for sure take advantage of each and every well hit shot. And keep doing it.

Take my game seriously and shake off the bad shots to keep going.

Frustration with my inconsistent swing.

A. What is your plan to overcome it?

Play more, take lessons, put in the work to groove a swing that's mine and that I can perform with my mind on the next shot.

When I can step up to the ball, pick my line, and swing.

~ Do you prefer to practice or play?

I prefer to play, because at practice my swing seems to be repeatable.

~ What is your handicap index?

32.3 per Game Golf.

25 or better.

1. Have ever played in a team event? Yes, won the 2014 Gauntlet, also played in the Bridgestone OC event. Played in other non THP events as well.
2. What makes you an asset to the entire team? Carry myself well on and off the course and stay positive throughout the event.
3. What do you look for from a playing partner? Positive attitude.
4. What do you have to offer a playing partner? Positive attitude, tons of encouragement, focus and fun!
5. What was your biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game? Consistency, I stayed between 78-85 during this season even with the birth of my first child and limited play.
6. What is your biggest strength in the game? Putting & Driving. My putting used to be a weakness but now it's my main strength.
7. What do you do to maintain it? I practice 4 footers every day on my birdie ball green.
8. What is the biggest weakness in your game? Wedge accuracy 80-120 yards. I'm not as close to the hole as I need to be to get my HDCP into the lower singles.
9. What is your plan to overcome it? Have an appointment with Clubchampion Golf in Rockville to get my wedges tweaked (loft, lie, weight, length and gapping)
10. How will you know you've been successful? Keeping the ball inside 20 feet with at least half inside 10 feet.
11. Do you prefer to practice or play? Both, I do what my schedule allows but always improving my game, even if it's reading books on the mental game.
12. What is your handicap index? 8.1 GHIN
13. What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016? I feel I can be a solid 7 by then hoving in the high 70's.

Crest4
Mizunofan
Emart
CAA_Beat
Bigball
Lynchburg14
ChristopherKee
Molten
Tbanks5

JohnSinVA & myself

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crest4
Mizunofan
Emart
CAA_Beat
Bigball
Lynchburg14
ChristopherKee
Molten
Tbanks5
Golfinnut
JohnsinVA

I remember seeing sanzabar and DBlbogey4life

Interested
Glad to see your interested dude. Keep in mind you'll need to take care of the Albatross membership in order to get in.

Back