Strategy: The short/driveable par 4

5i off the tee for me. Then 7i in.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thick tall grass under the trees, your ball might be impossible to find so Hazard. There is a small area of normal rough surrounding the green.

The one issue I have with this setup, is that it would require aiming over top of trees to accommodate my draw. When I do that, more often than not I compensate with a bigger draw and get myself in trouble.

Until I see actual course images, I'll probably be hitting a 4 iron, and then a wedge. MAYBE a hybrid drawing off the right bunker for a shorter wedge, but even that seems unnecessary.

If it is stroke play and I'm feeling good I might go for it just for kicks.

If it is match play I'm playing to a number. Even if I have the distance, it is a very low percentage play to think I'm going to be on line and stop the ball on the green. No way am I losing the match by getting in those trees or water.

Update scenario = the heck with it, go for it!

Honestly though, I'd go for it because you're only a wedge (60* for me) out even if you leave it short in the furthest beach from the green. And, it looks like there's more room to the right of green which is were my overswinging driver goes.

Last edited:
Match play I'm going for it. worst case scenario, I only drop a hole and still in it.
Stroke play, I am going to play a number.

I can't reach it, but I could reach my comfort distance of 75 yds.

I'd hit to that number, I feel good over the approach, hot a good shot and give myself a chance for birdie.

The HERO shot is to go for it.
I would pass.

I don't have the distance to get there so I am going to hit a 4H off the tee, and then let my wedge game get me a chance for birdie/par.

I'd go for it all day long.... but then again... that's why I have a 25 handicap, I don't take the easy shot often which gets me in trouble... but damn it looks good the once every 20 attempts it works
"10% of the time, it works every time"

A lot of different scenarios with this one. What tees?
Stroke Play or Match Play - Since I am hitting first, I will hit to my number short of all the bunkers for an easy wedge in to give myself a good look at birdie. No difference.
If I wasn't hitting first, it would depend what my competitor did that influence my decision.

It would depend on how the round has progressed. Been hitting driver well? I'm trying to finish it. If not I'll play the safe shot

I am going for it 100% of the time. There is not a scenario I can think of where I wouldn't go for it. Going for it brings 2 into play and I feel like the worst I am going to make is 4. I have found for my game if I have a decision to lay up or go for it. Typically going for it yields the best results. I do not lay up very often and often hit terrible shots. In this case I am going to play to my strengths go for the green and use my short game to get up and down if I miss the green.

Stroke play or match play would not matter. The 18th hole at my home course is a drive able par 4 (315 to 330) with bunkers guarding the front and trees left and right. I have hit driver on that hole when AS, +1,-1 in match play regardless of hitting first or last. Going for it plays to my strengths and that is what I am going to do.

I would go for it ( Basing on having enough length. In this particular example, no way could I reach it - but I'm doing this as if I could ) because my miss on a big swing is right, and it doesn't appear there is a ton of danger on that side. I am very comfortable hitting my LW from gnarly lies, and bunkers aren't death.

If it's summer and the balls carrying proper distances, that's ideal distances for me for driver, 3 wood or 4 iron depending on what tees it's off, so no brainer.

If it's winter then play it safe and 7 iron/wedge on.

No danger present, i go for it regardless of the situation. IF it's a tighter driving hole or the hole has some shape to it, i'll pull the 3w and figure out the second shot from there.
Ditto, except I may even put something shorter than a 3 wood depending!

4 hybrid off the tee on the blacks, 5 iron of the tee from the whites, 7 iron from the golds, all playing to a wedge on an unknown course, If I know it's fairly safe from the right edge of fairway to the cart path then I'm pulling 4 hybrid on the golds but it doesn't change my approach on the farther tees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would assume in playing the whites. Driver might reach it, but with trouble lurking all over, I'd have to be hot hot hot with it in order to pull it. 95% of the time I'd pull hybrid or 4 iron and leave myself with around 95 yards in.

I'd go with the safe shot and wedge it in. We have a hole very similar on my home course and I decided to change my approach this year. I only hit 5 iron off the tee and left myself an AW in most times, I made more birdies than previous years and more importantly no big numbers.

60 yards is a great wedge distance for me so I would lay up to approximately that yardage with a 3W or 4W.

Whites playing at 279 yard par 4, AS going into hole 18? I'm probably pulling 5h and taking my 180 yards off the tee and pulling PW and hopefully dropping it onto the green for a chance at a two putt par. #GenFLX for the win. Depending on the difference in HDCP's between my partner and I, this may be enough to win the hole, or at the very least force him to hit a perfect approach shot to get closer and birdie.

There is a hole at my country club that has similar characteristics to this hole when played from the red tees, except there is water entirely down the right side, and when I'm playing up there this is the approach I use and it works more often than not.

No matter the situation or circumstance, I'm laying up to 40-50 yards. I have a better chance at putting it close and making 3 (or in for a 2) at worst 4 than ending up in the tall grass off the green (or trees left or water long) and bringing a bigger number into play. I always play my game and the course, not my opponent or a number. I've played enough match play events where I eased up and did something different because of where my opponent was only to have them pull a shot of the century out of their @$$ and quickly turn the tables. I can't control them, but I can control me.

Provided there are no unusual features near the bunkers/green, I would go driver. Fly the first bunker easily. If I end up in the greenside bunkers, I'd be happy hitting 2 from there and chance of being on the green.

There's a course I play that's a hair longer (~300 yards) and can be driven but there are a series of bunkers on the approach. If you dump it in the first bunker, you have to get over a large mound and then there are two bunkers between you and the green. For that hole, 3h (layup) or 3W(accuracy to drive through a gap) makes a lot more sense for me.

3w up the left side, chip on and try for a one putt. My 3w is 200-210 at most so I'd play this as I would any other hole, smart.

I can't get home off the tee anymore (damn getting old sucks), So I am hitting 4 hybrid to just short of the bunker leaving myself a sand wedge to the green.

I'm taking 4i/5i off the tee in either scenario then pin hunting with a short wedge in.

2h is a possibility but I don't think the extra yardage is worth the chance of being in a bunker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back